• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TMWLT

Banned
I am about to go back to bongo bongo land for a few months,so before I depart these shores, a few thoughts.

1. I havent stopped laughing since yesterday, over the comments of some of the people that post on here, "hairs on the back of the neck" "something to tell the children" please, its laughable, theres more to life than a football stadium being built!!

2. Bringing the players to the decision was a little bit odd, lets face in two years time when the stadium is built, I doubt if any of the players currently playing in the squad, will be at southend, and for those that are not local like bradders, and francis and hammell, i dont suppose they give 2 tosses if the stadium is built or not?? thESE are footballers who ply their trade wherever.

3. Mahers comments re his testimonial are a little foolish, he may well play his testimonial there next year, but its going be boring having to keep retrieving the ball back from the memorial garden, especailly given his ability to pass to another player!! also its gonna be problem charging admission to a ploughed field.

4.As a real fan who lives in close proximity to roots hall, let me assure you i shall fight nail and tooth to stop the developement at roots hall, yes i am a nimby, but this isnt about stopping the club from moving to a new ground, this is about fighting to stop a developement of an obscene nature from blighting the prittlewell area. Some of you cannot look any further than the end of your noses, there is more to life than football, and when some of you youngsters grow up you will realise, that quality of life and your surroundings are just as important. That type of developement will certainly bring with it an influx of immigrants and ayslum seekers. So now the dilemma whether to fight it, with a camp bling type of protest. Or as fortunately I am rich enough to move, but then that rather defeats the object!!

5. Finally I have noticed over the last 3 or so weeks, that there has been some inane remarks aimed at me and mine, now as I am sure you all know me and my family, then I would rather you come and seek me out over the games in the next few weeks, rather than hide behind your keyboards, mind you that is hard if you live a long way away

5. Finally I have noticed over the last 3 or so weeks, that there has been some inane remarks aimed at me and mine, now as I am sure you all know me and my family, then I would rather you come and seek me out over the games in the next few weeks, rather than hide behind your keyboards, mind you that is hard if you live a long way away

:rolleyes:

Moi?

Dave, PM me ...

Last edited:

sorry to deflate your ego but haven't a clue who you are :(

Please take your racist diatribe off to whatever part of the globe is too shortsighted enough to allow you entry.

I don't think expressing concern about "Asylum Seekers & Immigrants" moving in to your locality is being racist. It's a fair point he made, at the end of the day you have to put what is best for you & your family first!

me neither! what the hell is this thread about. why is there always someone negative about a good thing that is happening the club!

In reply to your points

1. Maybe, but maybe this was the start of a new era. We shall see.

2. True but maybe sending the players to it will inspire a bit of loyalty in the club. Probably better than sending them off to the pub/bookies.

3. Maher can't kick it far enough to reach the memorial garden.

4. There is certainly more to life. Like experiencing different cultures. Sounds like you'll be able to enjoy different cultures without having to traipse off to "Bongo Bongo Land" - surely this is a positive?

5. Don't think anyone has a problem with you. People may disagree with some of your views, but I don't think that is personal. As for your son, he's a big boy now and he likes to imply that he can look after himself, even if he can't think for himself. Besides, I'm sure he likes the martyrdom of being banned.

Wasnt this the same guy posting cryptic fairytales that seemed to be slagging off the clubs plans ? (Didnt manage to read them right through....)

I do agree with him on point 4 though.

The current plan for roots hall is not good for the area. That part of town is already bordering on slumlike with every house converted to flats. Its overpopulated already and we could do without another 400 flats crammed into 7 storey blocks.

I live pretty close although not enough to affect me on a daily basis but I hope the plans are toned down, I dont want to see antother Kursal estate, nor do I want to see 7 storey buildings sprouting up around Southend.

The council have seen sense so far and I hope they will on this as well, even if it is detrimental to Ron's plans.

I don't think expressing concern about "Asylum Seekers & Immigrants" moving in to your locality is being racist. It's a fair point he made, at the end of the day you have to put what is best for you & your family first!

I think the racist remark refers more to the 'bongo bongo land' comment rather than the asylum & immigrant issue.

I agree to a point that there is more to life than football and quality of life is important but where we differ is IMO quality of life is what you make it, where you want to make it and with the surroundings and amenities at your disposal. It would be an ideal world if we could all live in our own little vacuums but life isn't like that. Things change, times change, certain things go wrong. It's how we adapt and accept those things that define us and in truth defines how we achieve the quality of life we all strive for.

As I said. Bye, have a nice time :)

Is this a wind-up?

I wonder if the good people of 'Bongo Bongo land' have a more tolerant attitide towards immigrants from Southend?

I think the racist remark refers more to the 'bongo bongo land' comment rather than the asylum & immigrant issue.

a) Fair enough, I didn't really consider that with what I posted!

I agree to a point that there is more to life than football and quality of life is important but where we differ is IMO quality of life is what you make it, where you want to make it and with the surroundings and amenities at your disposal. It would be an ideal world if we could all live in our own little vacuums but life isn't like that. Things change, times change, certain things go wrong. It's how we adapt and accept those things that define us and in truth defines how we achieve the quality of life we all strive for.

b) That's becoming increasingly harder to do these days, with the way this country is currently run!

As I said. Bye, have a nice time :)

c) I had no idea who the original poster was so wasn't taking sides, but have obviously grasped a certain link with other certain individuals now. Echo your last statement 100%.......

I can understand the issue with immigrants but surely being opposed to the principal of asylum seekers is completely different. I can never understand why so many people group these two together. In practice, it might not always work but in theory, asylum seekers have been persecuted in their own country on the basis of something, as a country, we object to.

On a fairly related matter to land in the area, why are businesses so reluctant to use the office space on Victoria Avenue when it is so central, has extensive parking, has excellent transport links and a potential locally based workforce?

I can understand the issue with immigrants but surely being opposed to the principal of asylum seekers is completely different. I can never understand why so many people group these two together. In practice, it might not always work but in theory, asylum seekers have been persecuted in their own country on the basis of something, as a country, we object to.

On a fairly related matter to land in the area, why are businesses so reluctant to use the office space on Victoria Avenue when it is so central, has extensive parking, has excellent transport links and a potential locally based workforce?

Because the developers currently trying to refurbish the old Carby House/CE Heath Buildings are locked in arguments with the council about the amount of affordable housing/number of flats that are associated with the re-development of the offices..

Back