• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

a From Non League XI

Micky Tuohy came from Redditch not salisbury. I think he went back to the midlands with Kidderminster from us, scored a cracker on his home debut versus Carlisle on the opening day of the 79-80 season, bravely nodding in a great cross from Micky Stead.

I'll throw in the one of, if not our greatest capture fro non league, Ron Poutney from Bilston.
Cheers, , who did we get from Salisbury city at that time ?

How did I forget this player? Raymond James Smith was signed from Basildon United in December 1961. He made 162 first team appearances in league and cup and scored 57 goals. Ray then joined former Southend United manager Alvan Williams at Wrexham in the summer of 1967 a couple of months after Williams had left the Roots Hall hotseat. Ray Smith was a typical old school centre-forward for those who saw him play and is one of just a handful of former players like Stuart Brace who managed to score a hat-trick both for and against us. Ray scored a hat-trick for Southend United in the 4-0 home win against Bradford Park Avenue in February '67(Steve Ingle scored the other goal). Then on a Monday evening in October '67 at the Racecourse Ground with Southend leading 1-0 at half-time through a John McKinven goal Ray Smith went one better & scored all four second-half goals in a 4-1 win. P.S. Ironically between August 1957 and October 1960 Blues had another Raymond S. Smith a wing-half who was signed from Luton Town. Ray made over 50 first team appearances in both league and cup but only managed to score 1 goal, not that this is unusual but his middle name is/was bizarrely Scorer.

How did I forget this player? Raymond James Smith was signed from Basildon United in December 1961. He made 162 first team appearances in league and cup and scored 57 goals. Ray then joined former Southend United manager Alvan Williams at Wrexham in the summer of 1967 a couple of months after Williams had left the Roots Hall hotseat. Ray Smith was a typical old school centre-forward for those who saw him play and is one of just a handful of former players like Stuart Brace who managed to score a hat-trick both for and against us. Ray scored a hat-trick for Southend United in the 4-0 home win against Bradford Park Avenue in February '67(Steve Ingle scored the other goal). Then on a Monday evening in October '67 at the Racecourse Ground with Southend leading 1-0 at half-time through a John McKinven goal Ray Smith went one better & scored all four second-half goals in a 4-1 win. P.S. Ironically between August 1957 and October 1960 Blues had another Raymond S. Smith a wing-half who was signed from Luton Town. Ray made over 50 first team appearances in both league and cup but only managed to score 1 goal, not that this is unusual but his middle name is/was bizarrely Scorer.
If I remember correctly his bugle made him look as if he was boxer rather than a footballer. Happy memories.

Back