• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A genuine question for the doom and gloom brigade - why do you do it?

Sussex Shrimper

Manager
I'm not addressing this question to those who have a few specific concerns about the current goings on (or lack thereof) at the club.

This is to the people who were moaning while we played our seventh ever season of second tier football. The ones who followed us to the Millenium Stadium for our first two national cup finals ever, and then moaned all the way back because we lost to higher division opposition. The people who'll rant at great length, yet feel the need to carefully qualify every word of praise or positivity. They know who they are.

Why do you persist with something that brings you so much frustration and misery? I appreciate all of our loyal fans, but if the ride is making you genuinely unhappy then isn't it time to get off for the sake of your own welfare?

Please enlighten me, because I just don't understand.

Us non moaners do moan about the moaners so we all like to moan about something :)

Think its human nature, and especially seems to be a very British attribute now, we moan about absolutely everything.

A few seasons ago we were talking about hopefully staying in League One with 52 points.

Now a couple of years later people are moaning we might not finish in the top 4.

Expectations get raised way too easily and people lose touch with reality.

To some we are a League one/two side, to others we should be a Championship side (which we arent), and depending on where you lie you have a different view point.

Reality is we are about the 8th biggest club in League one so if we finish 8th thats realistic.

People who think we should be in the top 2 arent actually realists...

To be fair Jam, I reckon most people are more concerned about finishing in the top 22 at the moment!

The bottom line is that we all care about and support this Club of ours, it's just that some people come from different stand-points to others.

Everybody looks at things differently, some take positives from defeat, others take negatives from victories, it depends.

To be fair Jam, I reckon most people are more concerned about finishing in the top 22 at the moment!

Not me....

Top half easily. Play offs/Promotion not confident.

We finished 6th with no forwards until January, we had just as many issues last season, just different ones.

Everybody looks at things differently, some take positives from defeat, others take negatives from victories, it depends.

I understand that, but if you're dead set on being miserable then you can probably pick up The Smiths' entire back catalogue for less than the cost of a couple of match tickets.

I'm not addressing this question to those who have a few specific concerns about the current goings on (or lack thereof) at the club.

This is to the people who were moaning while we played our seventh ever season of second tier football. The ones who followed us to the Millenium Stadium for our first two national cup finals ever, and then moaned all the way back because we lost to higher division opposition. The people who'll rant at great length, yet feel the need to carefully qualify every word of praise or positivity. They know who they are.

Why do you persist with something that brings you so much frustration and misery? I appreciate all of our loyal fans, but if the ride is making you genuinely unhappy then isn't it time to get off for the sake of your own welfare?

Please enlighten me, because I just don't understand.

Don't waste your breath. I have said this enough times already, what petty things to moan about..

Moan about the credit crunch, or murderers not getting a long enough sentence etc..

Yes, it probably bothers everyone that we haven't signed 4 top quality players and it looks like we won't be winning L1 or quite probably not even getting in the play offs, but sometimes you have to move back a bit to go forward.

Even with the squad we have, we won't even be near relegation. So a season of consolidation..so what.

Let's enjoy supporting Southend..it is not going to be like the dark days, no matter what happens.

One team in Essex, one fanbase getting behind them!!

Yes, it probably bothers everyone that we haven't signed 4 top quality players and it looks like we won't be winning L1 or quite probably not even getting in the play offs, but sometimes you have to move back a bit to go forward.

and..no one would have questioned that sentiment prior to the 'war chest' thumping from the oompa lumpa

and..no one would have questioned that sentiment prior to the 'war chest' thumping from the oompa lumpa

That was, what, two years ago? Anyway, we've spent loads since then.

It sounds to me like you've got a grudge against the chairman. Perhaps you're better off raising that with him directly.

It sounds to me like you've got a grudge against the chairman. Perhaps you're better off raising that with him directly.

Oh, ok then...can you kindly tell me what is allowable to discuss on this forum then?

we/we've...not spent a thing...Dont get confused between you/us the fan/fans and the owner. (irrespective of how many monopoly shares you may/may not have purchased) The impression given up to....4 months ago, was that money was available to strengthen irrespective of the new property development. I dont know the chaiman personally but I do have a fair grasp of business in the property world and those that do well in the environment..and i can honestly say that i have not met one yet who allows sentiment to get in the way of an 'earner'.

Back