• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
Just a thought, but again last night highlighted our lack of a goal scoring threat or more like a poacher. We again played some decent football and again Cox and Ranger linked up well as did Wordsworth and the midfield. But at the moment very much like Walsall and Swindon, both games could have been won if were that bit more clinical. We seem to play some lovely football around the area but seem to be missing the crucial thing and that is a fox in the box. I dont see either Ranger or Cox as being this and not really Fortune or Mooney. We do play some lovely football but our inability to finish off a good move has cost us in the last three games. So in January do people see this position as the one that needs strengthening? Again im not being critical of the style of play, but just wonder if we need an in the box striker which at present im not sure we have. You could argue that the midfield are doing this i suppose, certainly Wordsworth is, but think this could be the difference between us really going for the play offs or not.

A tricky question shrimperjon, and one that there probably isn't an easy answer to. The players that become available in the January sales are normally that, sale goods. Foxes in boxes are a very sought after commodity and therefore we may have to make a 'hostile' bid for the right player. If I'm anywhere near correct then money will be involved. As with all things clubs at our level have to sell to buy a lot of the time. We could benefit from a tribunal award from Bentley (that would be nice), or maybe Brighton will resurrect their interest in Ben Coker. Whichever way we go it's not going to be easy to find the right guy.

Not sure how that works, though.

If you play a "goal poacher" who do you leave out?

The system works fine and goals are coming from various sources. Just needs Cox & Ranger to be a little more consistent in front of goal, but I think that will come.

I wasn't there last night, but certainly against Swindon we could have scored about five in the last 20 minutes, but for an inspired goalkeeping display and prior to that match, we'd hit four and three respectively.

A tricky question shrimperjon, and one that there probably isn't an easy answer to. The players that become available in the January sales are normally that, sale goods. Foxes in boxes are a very sought after commodity and therefore we may have to make a 'hostile' bid for the right player. If I'm anywhere near correct then money will be involved. As with all things clubs at our level have to sell to buy a lot of the time. We could benefit from a tribunal award from Bentley (that would be nice), or maybe Brighton will resurrect their interest in Ben Coker. Whichever way we go it's not going to be easy to find the right guy.

yes i think you are right, also my guess is that Ranger and Cox arent on poor wages either so might have to be a few out before anymore come in.

Not sure how that works, though.

If you play a "goal poacher" who do you leave out?

The system works fine and goals are coming from various sources. Just needs Cox & Ranger to be a little more consistent in front of goal, but I think that will come.

I wasn't there last night, but certainly against Swindon we could have scored about five in the last 20 minutes, but for an inspired goalkeeping display and prior to that match, we'd hit four and three respectively.

You may well be right. One thing is for sure. If we do decide to go for another forward of the fox rather than Cox sort, SZ threads will get a bit more lively, with divided views on the necessity and of course incredibly high wages we will have to pay.

Pace, maybe some hungry non league Gem as opposed to a has been who hasn't played league football for over a year and lacks match sharpness

Pace, maybe some hungry non league Gem as opposed to a has been who hasn't played league football for over a year and lacks match sharpness

I am not sure if this post is serious or not?

If it is serious then I am mighty glad that you're not selecting our Team.

"Has been" - he's 25.

"Hasn't played league football for over a year" - correct, but then again a non league Gem is likely to have never played league football, let alone Premiership.

"Lacks match sharpness" - I actually agree with this and hope that this continues to improve. Would a non league Gem have match fitness levels required for League football? Possibly he would if he was playing in the National League - but any 'Gem' from that level is likely to be outside of our price range.

Anyway, for a "has been" our record with him in the side is pretty damned good.

Back