• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Great FA Cup Draw, But....

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
Fantastic draw for us today, no doubt about it. I was running around work delighted at the prospect of the likes of Macca up against Ballack and Lampard in midfield.

Everyone is buzzing no doubt, but the only dampener on the news is the bickering going on over who is more entitled to a ticket than others. Let's enjoy the fact we got our big game folks, and have faith Uncle Ron will get us a good allocation from Peter Kenyon and co. down at Stamford Bridge - and that we can all be accommodated eh? :)

UTB,

Ant

Fantastic draw for us today, no doubt about it. I was running around work delighted at the prospect of the likes of Macca up against Ballack and Lampard in midfield.

Everyone is buzzing no doubt, but the only dampener on the news is the bickering going on over who is more entitled to a ticket than others. Let's enjoy the fact we got our big game folks, and have faith Uncle Ron will get us a good allocation from Peter Kenyon and co. down at Stamford Bridge - and that we can all be accommodated eh? :)

UTB,

Ant
Nice one mate :) I'm sure season ticket holders will get their tickets, and for the people who didn't buy a season ticket this year - I'm sure you will also have a chance although it will be fairly limited :thump:

Its a super draw for a club like ours.....and its draws like this that make the FA Cup what it is....

I hope we give a good account of ourselves and that the performance on the pitch will be a reflection of the support off it. I am sure that our support will out sing, out support and enjoy every moment of this game regardless of the score.

There is one major drawback... we will now blow it in the league as all the players try and avoid injury until january 3rd

There is one major drawback... we will now blow it in the league as all the players try and avoid injury until january 3rd

True but you could also say the players up front where there is copmpetion for places might be trying twice as hard. Unfortunetely as there is no competion in deffence.... January i'm sure will see us in the bottom half.

I have a bit of a dilemma for this game. We work for a company who can likely get me a fair few free tickets at this game as they have a box at Stamford Bridge that predictably sits there idle most weekends.

Do I take them up on it (having been in a club box once before and knowing the atmosphere to often be a bit ****) just to be sure, or else try desperately hard to get one in the Shed end despite knowing I don't live in Southend anymore and therefore can't be guaranteed one?

Is that what you said prior to the Histon game:finger:?

We lost, so what. Neither of our teams is going to win it so it really doesn't matter does it? I have seen my side lose to worse team performances then yesterday. We have also lost to Northampton, Rotherham, Derby.... You get used to it :p

It was a serious question aswell

Going up or beating Chelski?

Cup glory?? Surely you must mean winning the cup as to give up on the league for the sake of beating little old Chelski is mad

We lost, so what. Neither of our teams is going to win it so it really doesn't matter does it? I have seen my side lose to worse team performances then yesterday. We have also lost to Northampton, Rotherham, Derby.... You get used to it :p

It was a serious question aswell

Going up or beating Chelski?

Fair comments. To be honest though, I don't think we have what it takes this season to make it to the play offs. I don't think we have to worry about relegation but a mid table finish is what I can see. We have had far too many loanees - esp ones that haven't been able to stick around. Everyone knows that you need a well gelled team to have any promotion prospects. I suspect the decent standard of loanees will be enough for us to get a mid table place.

So, due to the fact that this is how I feel about the league - for this season anyway, I would much rather we had a fantastic cup run and bought some glory to the club. Afterall, ties like this are what supporting clubs such as Southend (or Histon;)) are all about.

Fair comments. To be honest though, I don't think we have what it takes this season to make it to the play offs. I don't think we have to worry about relegation but a mid table finish is what I can see. We have had far too many loanees - esp ones that haven't been able to stick around. Everyone knows that you need a well gelled team to have any promotion prospects. I suspect the decent standard of loanees will be enough for us to get a mid table place.

So, due to the fact that this is how I feel about the league - for this season anyway, I would much rather we had a fantastic cup run and bought some glory to the club. Afterall, ties like this are what supporting clubs such as Southend (or Histon;)) are all about.

:clap: Good point, well made.

I wouldn't rule us out in view of the play-offs actually, it's quite possible that we could sign a couple of key players in January that help push us on and into the tope 6 like last season. No-one knows what can happen, and remember we are without some key strikers at the moment too.

On one hand we could slip back into mid-table but depending on arrivals we could definitely see an exciting end to the season. One thing's for sure it's far, FAR too early to concede defeat in terms of promotion.

In Leeds case there's not much doubt in my mind, they'll almost certainly make the top 6 at least.

I am sure season ticket holders will get 1st priority. GET IN THERE!

I thought it was quite relevant to post this in here too.

I wish some people would get off their high horses about people coming out for the big games etc.

I don't understand what all the people moaning about the armchair supporters is all about. If you are a super loyal fan that has a ST and follows them around the country then what is the problem?! You are going to get a ticket aren't you? So what's it matter if thousands jump on the bandwagon. As long as the STH are rewarded for their loyalties then I don't see where the problem lies.

I am lucky enough that I can afford a ST (just about) and I have been to every home game in the league so far this season. So obviously when a big tie like this comes up I am happy that I can get a ticket and I feel it is justified as I have given the club nearly £400 up front for this privilege. Those who are harping on about the "loyal supporters" and all that should think themselves lucky that they can afford to get ST's and to be as loyal as they are and not to have so many other money commitments that stop them from doing so.

I am sure that if everyone Southend fan could afford a ST, to go to all away games and Cup games then they would. I know certainly in my case that I cannot afford to go to every away game and every cup game otherwise I too would be there. Like it or not, it happens at every single club in the country. No club asks the fans to dedicate themselves to the club and follow them around the country, but the ones that do are rewarded by being guaranteed tickets for the big games. What more can the club do than that?

I have a bit of a dilemma for this game. We work for a company who can likely get me a fair few free tickets at this game as they have a box at Stamford Bridge that predictably sits there idle most weekends.

Do I take them up on it (having been in a club box once before and knowing the atmosphere to often be a bit ****) just to be sure, or else try desperately hard to get one in the Shed end despite knowing I don't live in Southend anymore and therefore can't be guaranteed one?

Sit in the poofy fur lined box and then you can take some pictures of us all enjoying ourselves in the shed. We willturn this into a home game and be the 12th even if we get spanked will sing to the bitter end and party. My only hope is we can sing as one and not several songs going on at the same time!. Didnt go to Spurs games, what were they like for keeping the noise in unison?

Back