• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A-League Grand Final 2012

Ron Manager

formerly Libertine
WIll be hosted here in Brisbane for the 2nd year running after the mighty Brisbane Roar won the semi-final over two legs vs Central Coast Mariners. Central Coast get another crack to play us again (we have one of those strange Rugby League style finals systems here which I only vaguely understand myself) when they play off at home to Perth Glory this coming weekend.

Game will be played Sunday 22nd April (should be on Sky Sunday morning for you lot) but before then we have an Asian Champions League game at home to some South Korean side next Tuesday.

Understand the interest in the A-League is probably nearly non-existent but if last year's Grand Final is anything to go by I'd say if you're up that Sunday morning you may as well flick it on for a look.

Last edited:
Cheers for reminding me, i'll book my tickets now, can't be sold out yet?! I like how all us 'poms' wear our own teams kit there so gimme a shout if you see me in my pink shirt!

Ha, have been known to wear a Southend kit on occasion but will be in orange for this one. Will look out for the pink shirt though mate.

And it will be Perth Glory in the final, after they got past Central Choke Moaners on penalties yesterday. 31,000 tickets sold as of Friday afternoon so on course for a 52,000 sell-out. Should be fun.

Got my ticket for behind the goal south stand, glad Perth won, really looking forward to seeing Smeltz. Shame Fowler ain't playing for them anymore, it would have got loads more interest in England (well, 5 second gag on soccer am maybe)

Got my ticket for behind the goal south stand, glad Perth won, really looking forward to seeing Smeltz. Shame Fowler ain't playing for them anymore, it would have got loads more interest in England (well, 5 second gag on soccer am maybe)

Smeltz is a concern, one player for them I fear as he can score a goal from nothing. Fowler was ***** every time I saw him in the A-League against Brisbane, well past it by the time he arrived in Oz.

Saw Perth play last year when i was over there. Not a great standard and Fowler looked overweight and slow (although still some nice touches and he got a couple of goals).
Will be seeing them more often as have made the decision to move to Perth at the end of the year. Girlfriend is trying to get me into AFL but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

Saw Perth play last year when i was over there. Not a great standard and Fowler looked overweight and slow (although still some nice touches and he got a couple of goals).
Will be seeing them more often as have made the decision to move to Perth at the end of the year. Girlfriend is trying to get me into AFL but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

With A-League being during the southern hemisphere summer you won't have much of a clash between football and AFL. Been to one AFL match at the Gabba and it's an OK way to spend a few hours and have a few beers I suppose but I'm ****ed if I really know what's going on.

League is the main game here in Qld and I don't mind watching the Broncos and State Of Origin on TV but haven't been to a live game yet.

The A-League has a lot of issues with finances and ownership (sound familiar?) but footballing wise it's OK and improving every year. I'm biased but Brisbane have raised the bar with this current side who when on form are a joy to watch. The league is realising that getting old has beens like Fowler over isn't the answer (Harry Kewell is an exception purely because he's a huge name over here - the Aussie version of David Beckham). Yeah there are some poor games but that happens in any league and as a TV product it won't ever challenge the English Premier League or La Liga.

But the games are reasonably priced and you can have a few beers at the match and watch football in the sunshine so the key is to actually go along and enjoy it and you'll be fine.

I follow the fortunes of Adelaide United primarily because I've lots of family in and around Adelaide. Sadly they haven't had a great year, hopefully they will do better next time around. :sad:

Was looking forward to penalties, shocking injustice the last minute penalty to Brisbane and embarrassing over celebrations after! Felt sorry for Perth in the end, must be the years supporting Sarfend as the underdogs!

Ha, bollocks. Been going to Roar games for 4 years now so don't give a **** about all that - we had the ascendency and 11 men against 10. Would have walked it in extra time, penalty or not. The best team won!

Champions!

"His name is Besart, Besart Berisha, he is mental, and he is mad, he is the greatest, centre forward, that the Roar has ever had"

[video=youtube;gctAdYK7NkA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gctAdYK7NkA[/video]

:smile:

Roar manager during ticker-tape parade addressing the fans 'Lets make it 3 titles in a row' and 'I'm not leaving' etc then 2 hours later at the airport confirming he's quit, mental!

Back