• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Letter To Sainsbury's

Blimey, it starts off well, and pointing out our plight to the Top Nobs at Sainsbury's and asking them to intervene is absolutely spot on - but what is this bit at the end about "transferring the shares to supporters who have the ability to take the club forward"? IE the consortium, I assume?

A concerned trust member has sent a letter to us that he has sent to Sainsbury's.

To view the content of this letter, and to download it if you wish click here.

As some one who does a bit of letter/email writing.... it will have little effect if everyone sends the SAME letter.
Change it and personalise it - and then people will start to take note - the magic figure given is 50 DIFFERENT letters in a week on the same topic for MPs...

Put your own feelings in the letter and get it banged off people.

All those who want a change need to do this.

Here is my strictly a-political version:

Mr J M King
Chief Executive
J Sainsbury Plc
33 Holborn
London EC1N 2HT

Dear Mr King

Southend United Football Club

Does Sainsbury's care about my football club?
Your company has agreed to buy our football ground (Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea) but do you care that there may soon be no team left to play there? Is it Sainsbury's plan to develop Roots Hall and not worry what happens to my team?

Did you know that my club has only 9 contracted professionals reporting back for training on Thursday, and many of those have made it clear that they want to leave, as they have regularly gone without their wages over the last year? Our first league match of the season is on Saturday 7th August. At the moment, my club cannot sign any new players as there is a transfer embargo arising out of an unpaid loan made by the PFA. The club has thousands of supporters and is a focal point in the local community, but there is real concern that we may not have enough players to play the first game of the season, let alone properly compete or finish it. Disaster looms!

I have read in the Echo (our local newspaper) last Monday 28th June 2010 that Sainsbury's effectively control the majority of shares in SUFC. The in-depth article on the club's and current owner's finances painted a very bleak picture for my club's future. Despite lots of talk about the new stadium, we seem no nearer to moving and in the meantime my club does not even seem able to afford a football team.

Please may I urge you to intervene in any way within your powers to ensure that Southend United survive and prosper, regardless of ultimate ownership, ready to move into their new Stadium so that when the new Sainsbury's store opens at Roots Hall, it isn't built on the ashes of a 100 year old and much loved Football club.

For that, I and many others in the community will be forever grateful.
Please give this matter your urgent attention to keep my club alive.

Yours sincerely

Last edited:
ShrimperZone.Com fully support The Trust with their endeavours with Sainsbury's and urge all members of this site to send a letter.

A concerned trust member has sent this letter to us.

Mr J M King
Chief Executive
J Sainsbury Plc
33 Holborn
London EC1N 2HT

Dear Mr King
Southend United Football Club

Does Sainsbury's care about my football club?

Your company has agreed to buy our football ground (Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea) but do you care that there may soon be no team left to play there? Is it Sainsbury's plan to develop Roots Hall and not worry what happens to my team?

Did you know that my club has only 9 contracted professionals reporting back for training on Thursday,and many of those have made it clear that they want to leave,as they have regularly gone without their wages over the last year?Our first league match of the season is on Saturday 7thAugust. At the moment,my club cannot sign any new players as there is a transfer embargo arising out of an unpaid loan made by the PFA. The club has thousands of supporters and is a focal point in the local community,but there is real concern that we may not have enough players to play the first game of the season,let alone properly compete or finish it. Disaster looms!

I have read in the Echo(our local newspaper)last Monday 28thJune 2010 that Sainsbury's effectively control the majority of shares in SUFC. The in-depth article on the club's and current owner's finances painted a very bleak picture for my club's future. Despite lots of talk about the new stadium,we seem no nearer to moving and in the meantime my club does not even seem able to afford a football team.

I am therefore writing to urge you to take over full ownership of the club and transfer those shares to supporters who have the ability to take the club forward. I am told that my club will need 2 seasons to move and your company can then move ahead with the new supermarket.

The move to a new football stadium has the wide backing of the fans if it is in the club's long-term interests. Please can you therefore ensure that my club is run by people who can give it a secure long-term future. For that, I and many others in the community will be forever grateful.

Please give this matter your urgent attention to keep my club alive.

Yours sincerely

AGAIN don't spam.... if they think it is just a simple online campaign emails will get filtered out and ignored.

yep, make sure you alter the subject so it doesn't get picked up by email filters and sent direct to trash.

Sainsbury are a public listed company so anyone can buy their shares and speak at the AGM in public. You don't need loads of money - one share entitles you to attend. Would be good if shareholders can make the same points as the letters

Sainsbury are a public listed company so anyone can buy their shares and speak at the AGM in public. You don't need loads of money - one share entitles you to attend. Would be good if shareholders can make the same points as the letters

Anyone with shares should write as a shareholder too - i think the AGM is in the next week or something.

AGAIN don't spam.... if they think it is just a simple online campaign emails will get filtered out and ignored.

yep, make sure you alter the subject so it doesn't get picked up by email filters and sent direct to trash.

ALSO - include ALL your contact details - name, address, phone
It makes you a REAL person not a spammer!

Three very valid points that should be kept together...well done guy's

ALSO - include ALL your contact details - name, address, phone
It makes you a REAL person not a spammer!

It's times like this I wish my parents hadn't christened me George Agdgdgwngo, and my address wasn't the Democratic Republic of Congo.

ALSO he is a football fan, used to manage his sons village football team, wanted to be Bobby Charlton as a kid....

AND on 2012 olympic committee

Last edited:
Back