• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Letter To Sainsbury's

My letter:

Dear Mr King

Do you and Sainsbury's care about my football club, Southend United?

Your company has agreed to buy my team's football ground (Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea), and have already paid several substantial amounts of money into my club. However do you care that there may soon be no football league team left to play there ,or in fact anywhere, in Southend? Do you simply plan to re-develop Roots Hall regardless and not worry about my team? I desperately hope not, and hence me writing to you today.

I hope that my letter today does not feel on deaf ears, and that you can appreciate the need for writing to you direct. I know that you are a football fan yourself and are involved in sports in a variety of ways, not least the 2012 Olympics. I hope you understand the passion of Southend fans about their club and feel compassion towards our plight.

Did you know that my club has only 9 contracted professionals reporting back for pre-season training? Several of these have made it clear they want to leave the club due to regular late and non-payment of wages. The first game of the season is on Saturday 7th August, and my club are unable to sign new players because we are under an embargo put in place by the PFA as we have failed to repay a loan to them.

There are thousands of fans within the town and beyond, we maintained an average attendance of nearly 8,000 people last season and took over 17,000 local people to Cardiff for the LDV final in 2004. The club is a focal point in the local community and have won awards to their contributions to the people of Southend. It would be devastating for everyone if at any point, and for any reason, the club ceased to exist.

There is a REAL concern that we may not have enough players to field a team in the first game of the season, let alone be competitive in the league or even finish the competition. There is a real feeling of desperation and despair at the moment. Our Chairman, Ron Martin, who has lead the transactions and sale with Sainsbury's, has let us down and continues to fail to reassure us adequately.

Our local newspaper, the Echo produced a series of articles on Monday 28th June 2010 that indicated that Sainsbury's effectively control the majority of shares in SUFC. The detailed article on the club's and current owner's finances gave a worrying account of the club's finances.

We have heard lots of promises about our new stadium, which apparently needs to be built before you can start work on your store at Roots Hall, but we seem no nearer to moving or building work starting. In the immediate, we cannot afford to play players and run a team.

I know it is a big ask, but please intervene and help in any way you can within your powers to ensure that my team, Southend United, can survive this most difficult period in our history.

We all look forward to the news Sainsbury's store being built, because the promise has always been that when it is, we will be in our new stadium as a successful team, filled with potential. Please don't let my club be a casualty of your store

Your direct involvement would be a massive boost to myself and many others in the community, and we would be forever grateful.

Please give this matter your urgent attention; it feels like time is already running out at Southend United.

Yours sincerely

A Lewis

----------------------
Andy Lewis
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Woodland Drive
Colchester
Essex CO3 XXX
07739 XXXXXX
01206 XXXXXX

As some one who does a bit of letter/email writing.... it will have little effect if everyone sends the SAME letter.
Change it and personalise it - and then people will start to take note - the magic figure given is 50 DIFFERENT letters in a week on the same topic for MPs...

Do you think adding a few pictures as well would help?

Do you think adding a few pictures as well would help?

Of what....?

Only if they really add weight to the argument.... it's hard to take a picture of our lack of players, unless Scriv has already done the team photo before anyone else leaves.

If they are of yourself in compromising poses... perhaps not ;)

Of what....?

Only if they really add weight to the argument.... it's hard to take a picture of our lack of players, unless Scriv has already done the team photo before anyone else leaves.

If they are of yourself in compromising poses... perhaps not ;)

Where's Tarquin when you need him....?

My shortened Epistle:

Dear Mr King

The Shrimpers

I suspect that just now you are getting rather a lot of letters and emails from Very Worried Southend United fans, asking: Does Sainsbury's care about my football club?

I am sure that you do care, but can and will you do something to help us? I have supported the Blues since 1966, and over those years I have seen owners come and go, I have seen some fantastic times and some dire times, but never have I been as worried as I am at the moment. As you are being told, correctly, my club has only 9 contracted professionals reporting back for training on Monday, and many of those have made it clear that they want to leave, as they have regularly gone without their wages over the last year. Our first league match of the season is on Saturday 7th August. At the moment, we cannot sign any new players as we are under a transfer embargo because of our ongoing indebtedness. The club has thousands of supporters, is a focal point in the local community, and has recently won awards for its educational work with teenagers who have been excluded from main stream education, but that will all count for little if we can't even field a team this season.

My understanding is that your company effectively control the majority of shares in SUFC. The local paper has been regaling us with stories of how perilous our position is. Despite lots of talk about the new stadium, we seem no nearer to moving and soon it seems there won't be a Club to move.

Please may I urge you to intervene in any way within your powers to ensure that Southend United survive and prosper, regardless of ultimate ownership, ready to move into their new Stadium so that when the new Sainsbury's store opens at Roots Hall, it isn't built on the ashes of a 100 year old and much loved Football club? Please don't let The Shrimpers just die!

Yours Sincerely

Tom Lister

Here is mine - hope you are grateful, I've run out of lunchtime and I'm starving!!

Mr J M King
Chief Executive
J Sainsbury Plc
33 Holborn
London EC1N 2HT

Dear Mr King

Southend United Football Club

I am writing to express my concerns relating to the survival of Southend United Football Club, following the sale of our current home at Roots Hall, Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea to your organisation for the development of a new store; which we are led to believe is subject to our long-awaited move to a new site.

Clearly, the decision for your organisation to purchase a prominent development site, in a town that is crying out for new investment is a very welcome prospect. I also expect that the deal was fraught with difficulty and complication and has taken significant time and effort to conclude. From a business perspective, the deal makes complete sense. From your organisation’s perspective, I would also expect that the relocation of the previous owners from a recently acquired site is also fairly common.

As you will undoubtedly be aware, the football club’s current owner has been planning the build of a new stadium at Fossetts Farm, Southend; a development that has taken many years, been beset with difficulty and has been significantly impacted by planning issues, and more recently the Banking crisis and subsequent recession. These issues now appear to have affected the owner’s ability to maintain any level of investment in the Football Club itself, which had become a successful and vibrant football club with a bright future. In the space of 4 years, where the club achieved Championship status, we have suffered the loss of several players which were not replaced and we suffered two relegations and the inevitable loss of revenue streams that accompanied on-field success. The club now does not even have enough playing staff to field a team, there is a transfer embargo in place which prevents the signing of new players, the team manager, the remaining players and staff have suffered late/no payment of wages for at least a few months, tax and other bills are continually going unpaid and HMRC have issued a third winding up order in a year. I have enclosed the wording from an article in today’s local paper outlining the concerns of local fans and stakeholders.

As the future of the club is becoming increasingly uncertain, the many thousand loyal fans and season ticket holders, including myself, are very worried that within this mess our beloved club will cease to exist, and the lasting memory of our club will buried beneath a new Sainsbury’s store where the home of Southend United, Roots Hall, once stood. You may not be aware of the plight of the local economy, in particular in South Essex, but another local non-league Essex football club, Grays Athletic have been forced to ground share following the loss of their ground for development and are also struggling on the brink of survival.

The local press reported recently that as a consequence of the negotiations with the current owners of the club, Sainsburys have acquired a significant interest in Southend United FC. As a season ticket holder, I have no idea how accurate this statement is, but if this is the case, one would hope that it is also in your company’s interests to embrace the opportunity to secure the future of a small but well loved part of our community.

Clearly, many of the plans and discussions remain private and not in the public domain, and I would not expect confidence to be breached in any way. However, I would think that there could be considerable marketing / PR opportunities and possible benefits to your organisation in the Southend area if the issue of rescuing Southend United is looked at from the angle of the local community and within the local economy.

Until May 2010, the average attendance at a home game at Roots Hall was between 6-7000 people, all of whom are a captive audience for any advertising or marketing activity. These people all need to eat, they all need banking facilities and they are all passionate about the team. Every football league game is televised in one form or another, which guarantees that there is weekly TV coverage of each match broadcast nationally and regionally, and also online. The club also has many casual workers & volunteers on match days, and there was around 100 employees relying on the football club for their livelihoods, although this is probably significantly lower now. There are small retail outlets within the ground for beverages and hospitality, which are in dire need of some quality products being available for sale, and we have a large female and family following, which has been recognised by the Football League. We were League One’s “Family Club of the Year” winners in 2009. There is also the affiliated club Community Trust, who carry out many projects within schools and with local agency projects and have become an integral part of the local community.

I am asking that you please consider the many options around acquiring control of the club, or at least becoming significant influencing stakeholders who are able to work with the Supporters Trust and the fans to help us to ensure that our beloved 100 year old football club can survive. There is also a local consortium who wish to invest in the club and the team, but have to date been unable to secure the acquisition of the club from the current owner. There will be a considerable number of people who will be forever grateful for whatever intervention that is within your power to exercise. I also understand that a similar sponsorship arrangement exists at a small non-league Essex side, Tilbury Town, where there is a joint deal in place where Asda and McDonalds support the team jointly. Is there any possibility that you could broker a comprehensive sponsorship deal to ensure that the club survives and maintains Football League status?

Whilst owning or controlling a football club is probably not a part of the Sainsbury’s Group business strategy, I would expect that with some lateral thinking and creativity you can see the scope for opportunity for Sainsburys that such a move could open up. As an MBA student close to graduation, I have spent a lot of time thinking about how things could be done differently at a small football club if there was sufficient interest to apply a corporate mentality to what is intrinsically a very difficult business, where normal business rules and protocols have not worked.

Please can you give this matter your urgent attention to help us to keep Southend United alive.

Yours sincerely

Last edited:
Dear Mr King

I really like your thai curry ready meals. Keep up the good work.

Regards
Clinton Baptiste, Shrimperzone.

Sent mine.......Fingers crossed.

One thing I would say is I am not so sure on the transfering of shares etc. We know nothing about the consortium so until we do I for one am wary. Hence in my letter I simply asked him to consider the supporters and the town as a whole when making any decisons and dealing with the redevelopment.

Last edited:
Dear Mr King

I am a diehard Southend United supporter. I would firstly like to thank you for paying a huge sum of our debt off, I cannot ever thank you enough for that. Thank you.
I am writing to you in search of some answers and just to outline my feelings to you, because I feel it must be done.
One of the questions I really would like to know the answer to is, do Sainsbury’s care about my football club?
This club has 104 years of history. It has the potential to go a very long way. In recent years there has been a large amount of success, as you may have seen. But more recently we seem to be slipping into a deep dark hole.

As you probably are aware, there a group of Southend United football fans, who have riches worth multi-millions, who are interested in buying the football club. If we entered administration they claim that they would step in. If Ron Martin contacted them to sell to them they would jump at the chance. I am not sure what the situation would be if you decided to take full control of this club. I am so desperate for this football club to survive and prosper that I personally cannot explain myself. The most worrying thing is that we do not know what the future holds and I hope that somebody secures our future. Ron Martin has brought this football club a very long way. Can he take us any further? We do not know. We also do not know if the group of multi-millionaire Southend Fans could.

Your company has agreed to buy our football ground (Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea). To build what I understand will be the 5th largest Sainsbury’s supermarket store in the country. What would be your view point if Southend United where to go out of business? Would you still develop your supermarket on top of Roots Hall Stadium where the passion, the history and the memories once where created. This, if it is became true, would not only be devastating for me, but also devastating for the thousands of other Southend United supporters. Not only would it be devastating for the fans, it would also leave a huge hole in Southend-on-sea’s community. I pray that the plans are NOT to develop the SuperStore at whatever the cost.
Another question I have continuously gone through in my mind is, do you personally or any other representative of J Sainsbury Plc have any interest in running a football club? My view point is that sponsoring a local football club would open huge doors, and benefit your company in a very different but inspiring way.

A few facts about our football club;
• At this moment in time my club only has 9 contracted professional footballers. This is apparently meant to be changing, but a lot of things have been promised, and the worries continue to grow.
• We are currently under a transfer embargo, meaning we cannot sign any other professional footballers until the PFA loan has been paid back.
• We had an average support of 8,000 supporters last season, the last season 2009/2010 where truly the worst in our history, having continuous bad news, and non payment of wages. You can see from the attendances alone what potential this club holds.
• The club has one of the most passionate groups of supporters in the whole of the football league.
• I could drown you with great stories of pain, happiness and relief that this Football Club has given thousands of people, but truthfully I don’t think words can describe the emotions that many do not understand.

104 years of history surely cannot be just pushed aside. Can it?

I understand that you are a keen sports fan, and I am led to believe you are a Manchester United fan am I correct? I realise that you have a large involvement in the 2012 Olympic bid. So I hope that you understand the passion and love that I and many have for this truly brilliant football club, If only you where lucky enough to bleed blue blood as I and many of us do.

I have read in Southend’s local newspaper (The Echo) last Monday 28th June 2010 that Sainsbury's effectively control the majority of shares in SUFC. The in-depth article on the club's and current owner's finances painted a very bleak picture for my club's future. Although the dream of a new stadium remains firm in everyone’s mind especially the chairman's. What I am ultimately writing to you for is for you to realise what sort of situation we are in, and the worries that all fans have.

I hope my letter has been perceived as I wish it to be.

Thank you for your continued funding and support on keeping this incredible football club alive.

Yours with the greatest thanks
Dave Williams

That is mine, needs another proof read but it's the most passionate I could've been. Gawd!

Last edited:
Back