• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If I remember correctly centre forward Andy Smillie got injured between the Workington game (won 7-0) and the Lincoln game (lost 4-2) I think in those days we played an annual friendly with Shoebury Garrison and Smillie was injured then. He came back in the game versus Notts County and was said to be risking his career by playing (presumably with pain killing injections). He was also captain so his presence/absence made quite a difference. We played very well against Notts C but their goalie was brilliant and they scored a break away goal in the last five minutes after a mistake by Graham Birks, left back.
But there is really no comparison with now. The 67/68 side was full of talent and skill, but only Tony Bentley, Mel Slack and Bill Best had much fight. They gave up easily and very rarely game back from a goal behind. They could be incredible, but could fade away without guts. The present side has team spirit even if it has less obvious skills.
It is now over 40 years ago - would be good if my fading memories correspond with other older members of this site.

The 7-0 v Workington was an amazing match and one that Eddie Clayton ran on his own. Promotion was assured. But it wasn't! I recall my friend (and still true Blue) Ray Hems deciding to go to all the remaining games. He still bears the scars. I actually asked Eddie Clayton, after a game of golf where he plays at Wansted, about this run. He said he had forgotten it. In fact, he doesn't remember his time at the Hall with much affection at all. But there.

I'm optimistic about this season and have found myself looking at the Easter fixtures and thinking about where to drink near Wembley - but I'll leave that up to my bro.

I don't care, I am enjoying it while I can, If you cant 'dream' now I don't see the point of being a supporter, yes it may all go tits up , I realise that as does everyone if they are honest with themselves, But while things are the way they are I will continue to dream of automatic promotion. If we don't get it and I come down to earth with a thud, so what ,I will make sure that I take as much enjoyment from this and every season as I possibly can :smile:

agree with you here uws, it's been a very tough few years being a blues fan and i'm gonna enjoy this for as long as it lasts. don't know if this has been mentioned but WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE SING WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE up the blues

Lol... Amazing post in actuality... Just a good read and well put together... But at the end of the day, "Que sera sera." For me I am just going to enjoy the ride that is Southend: which hopefully will end with an automatic. If not I'll just jump on the Shrimper train again next season and do it all again. But I am loving the trip so far this season and I am quite happy to be naive and just blindly believe we will champions this year and forever. UTB's

This wasn't intended as a pessimistic thread and those that have supported the Blues for a while know the ups and downs. The point I was making to the not so experienced is enjoy the moment but just be prepared that things can fall apart so quickly. Hopefullly not, but as originally stated 67-68 still haunts me, and many others I'm sure which make us a little more apprehensive about short term success.

I repeat enjoy it now.

DoDtS

Not really, we'd won the previous game 7-0 and I suspect a bit of complacency at Lincoln. After that it became a confidence thing. The following season, with largely the same personnel, was of course one of the best ever (even though we finished a place lower in 7th). I think that both seasons our defence was not our strongest suit.

I'd say you were right about the defence, I think Ernie Shepherd worked on the basis we would score more than the opposition, and when you consider we had the likes of Best, Smillie, Chisnall, Clayton and McMillan he may have been right. The following season he bought in Gary Moore & Chico Hamilton for that memorable season.

Like most I saw the Workington game and went home thinking promotion was a certainty, and we had to wait another 5 years before going back to whence we came.

Good thread DoDtS and a welcome warning about complacency by supporters.

I remember this (just about!) I cannot actually recall any of the matches but ic ertainly recall the mood and the despair! I think it epitomised one of the often forgotten things in football management.........sometimes its easy to kep a winning side winning but turning around a losing side is a whole different matter!!! Ernie Shepherd built a good squad of attacking players who were tremendous to watch. Most fans old enough to remember those days all do so with great affection and often these years are used as a baromter to test how the current squad are doing (in terms of excitement). Friday night games, in front of an average of 10,000 and the rise of the North Bank Pak are all nostalgic memories for so many. In the end though, Shepherd would never get us promoted and whilst we came even closer in 1970 (please dont remind me!), we finally got up in 1971/1972 as runners up to Grimsby Town. Arthur Rowley was by then Manager and I still recall the happy scenes on the pitch as the season drew to a close. in the end we actually won promotion without playing if my memory serves me correctly (no doubt someone will confirm or otherwise). I remember Big Bill Rubin, the chairman, sitting with a massive cigar sharing a scotch with Rowley in Rowleys office and Southend winger Terry Johnson being dumped in the bath with all his clothes on!

in the end we actually won promotion without playing if my memory serves me correctly (no doubt someone will confirm or otherwise). I

That rings a bell!. I may be wrong but seem to recall that we would have gone up if we beat Cambridge at home on a friday night. Over 17,000 turned up, Derek Belotti (our keeper) broke his arm and we lost 1-2. One of our close rivals lost the next day (was it Lincoln at Torquay?) and subsequently we were promoted.

I remember vividly the game v Cambridge. Belotti got injured and in those days there was only one sub (never a goalie of course). It seemed no one knew who would go in goal. At first Bill Garner was putting on the jersey, but the message got out that this was daft. In fact the sub, Peter Taylor, went in goal, which was not good either as he was too small. Garner scored in the 2nd half, but Cambridge launched some high balls towards Taylor and in the end scored twice. Taylor then came out of goal, Alex Smith went in, but we lost 1-2.
Where my memory differs from others here is that I thought we still needed a point the next week when we went away (I for get to whom) and drew 0-0. But I could well be wrong, long time ago!

There is a strong sentiment on here of 'enjoy it while it lasts'. Based upon the quality of football shown over the past two games by your team I would respectfully suggest that this is healthy thinking.

Yawn :zzzzz:

2 games we played you and twice we have won with 'poor' quality football, hey ho if we carry on playing like that and winning each time I won't complain :happy:

There is a strong sentiment on here of 'enjoy it while it lasts'. Based upon the quality of football shown over the past two games by your team I would respectfully suggest that this is healthy thinking.

Soundly beaten by us twice in 4 days, I suggest you crawl back under the rock you came from.

Is your user name indicative of your breeding/education?

Dave Webb.....was a super player, played for Chelsea, strong defender and scored goals, one in an FA Cup final if I recall.. Super manager, got us in to the second tier for the first time with some good football.

OxfordUtdFan....your imagination knows no bounds :winking:

Thanks for your input

I never thought i would read and agree with something DTS as posted, as he is normally the epitome of doom and gloom
and can be daming of players.
But he is right in saying January is a big month, and any decisions on letting players go could have a major impact on the promotion chase.
Its that balancing act Ron and Tara have to make.
But from what i have seen so far this year,we have every chance of making it, despite what history tells us

Have you smoked crack tonight Mutley?

First of the original post is not by me nor have I commented until now. The season being spoken about is 11 years before I was born.

I am hardly the scathing of the players. I pointed out Bentley was not ready and we needed another keeper and that Prosser is not a league standard player. You seemed offended by both but looks like Sturrock agreed with both.

Back