• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
I've been away on my annual hols and can't believe some of the stuff on here. So I thought I'd do a little research as to how we have done whenever we have been promoted to this league.

1971-72 - Promoted to Div 3 for 1st time.
1972-73 - First 6 league results - H v Wrexham, Lost 1-0, A v Plymouth, Lost 2-0, H v Swansea, Won 3-1, H v Rochdale, Lost 2-1, A v Tranmere, Lost 3-1, H v Notts County, Won 3-1. After 6 games, 2 wins, 4 defeats, 4 points total, finished 14th.

1980-81 - Promoted to Div 3.
1981-82 - Three points for a win introduced. First 6 League results - A v Walsall, Won 1-0, H v Newport, Lost 4-0, A v Carlisle, Lost 3-2, H v Portsmouth, Won 2-0, H v Swindon, drew 0-0, A v Huddersfield, L 3-2. After 6 games, 2 wins, 1 draw, 3 defeats, 7 points total, finished 7th.

1986-87 - Promoted to Div 3.
1987-88 - First 6 league results - A v Bury, Drew 2-2, H v Chester, Drew 2-2, A v Gillingham, Lost 8-1, H v Preston, Lost 2-1, A v Notts County, Lost 6-2, H v Brentford, Lost 3-2. After 6 games, 0 wins, 2 draws, 4 defeats, 2 points total, finished 17th.

1989-90 - Promoted to Div 3.
1990-91 - First 6 league results - A v Huddersfield, Won 2-1, H v Crewe, Won 3-2, A v Cambridge, Won 4-1, H v Preston, Won 3-2, H v Shrewsbury, Won 2-1, A v Stoke, Lost 4-0. After 6 games, 5 wins, 1 defeat, total 15 points, finished runners up.

2004-05 - Promoted to Div 3.
2005-06 - First 6 league results - H v Port Vale, Lost 2-1, A v Bradford, Won 2-0, A v Walsall, Drew 2-2, H v Huddersfield, Drew 1-1, A v Scunthorpe, Lost 1-0, H v Colchester, Won 3-1. First 6 games, 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 defeats, total 8 points, finished as Champions.

So having been promoted only 5 times up to this league in our history, we have only made a good start once.

We have shown relegation form twice... yet have never been relegated.

#Justsaying

Let's not go overboard people just because we didn't play well last Saturday.

Keep the Faith.

Last edited:
Absolutely spot on....got to say thought we supported the boys well on saturday...didn't sense too much negativity...on this forum some have turned to doom mongering. Early days yet and still some deals to be done regarding new players hopefully...come on southend.

Exactly! The forum is the place to vent your frustrations. And down the pub with your mates. Better there than at the game :thumbsup:

I've been away on my annual hols and can't believe some of the stuff on here. So I thought I'd do a little research as to how we have done whenever we have been promoted this league.

1972-73 - First 6 league results - H v Wrexham, Lost 1-0, A v Plymouth, Lost 2-0, H v Swansea, Won 3-1, H v Rochdale, Lost 2-1, A v Tranmere, Lost 3-1, H v Notts County, Won 3-1. After 6 games, 2 wins, 4 defeats, 4 points total, finished 14th.

1981-82 - Three points for a win introduced. First 6 League results - A v Walsall, Won 1-0, H v Newport, Lost 4-0, A v Carlisle, Lost 3-2, H v Portsmouth, Won 2-0, H v Swindon, drew 0-0, A v Huddersfield, L 3-2. After 6 games, 2 wins, 1 draw, 3 defeats, 7 points total, finished 7th.

1987-88 - First 6 league results - A v Bury, Drew 2-2, H v Chester, Drew 2-2, A v Gillingham, Lost 8-1, H v Preston, Lost 2-1, A v Notts County, Lost 6-2, H v Brentford, Lost 3-2. After 6 games, 0 wins, 2 draws, 4 defeats, 2 points total, finished 17th.

1990-91 - First 6 league results - A v Huddersfield, Won 2-1, H v Crewe, Won 3-2, A v Cambridge, Won 4-1, H v Preston, Won 3-2, H v Shrewsbury, Won 2-1, A v Stoke, Lost 4-0. After 6 games, 5 wins, 1 defeat, total 15 points, finished runners up.

2005-06 - First 6 league results - H v Port Vale, Lost 2-1, A v Bradford, Won 2-0, A v Walsall, Drew 2-2, H v Huddersfield, Drew 1-1, A v Scunthorpe, Lost 1-0, H v Colchester, Won 3-1. First 6 games, 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 defeats, total 8 points, finished as Champions.

So having been promoted only 5 times from this league in our history, we have only made a good start once.

#Justsaying

Keep the Faith.
Ouch...against Gills too!

I've been away on my annual hols and can't believe some of the stuff on here. So I thought I'd do a little research as to how we have done whenever we have been promoted this league.

So having been promoted only 5 times from this league in our history, we have only made a good start once.

#Justsaying

Keep the Faith.

Ouch...against Gills too!
Yes remember it well and our 'goal' was an own goal as well. I also went to the next away game at Port Vale a 6-2 defeat.
The bizarre fact is that after beating us 8-1 Gillingham then won their next home match 10-0 v Chesterfield!!!!

Exactly! The forum is the place to vent your frustrations. And down the pub with your mates. Better there than at the game :thumbsup:
And also now apparently on the Facebook ShrimperZone page :facepalm:

Welcome back fbm, nice to see some positivity back!

After that amount of research, you will be needing another holiday:smile:
Too early for optimism or pessimism but travelling to Doncaster tomorrow full of optimism and hoping that Brown selects the right team.

Yes remember it well and our 'goal' was an own goal as well. I also went to the next away game at Port Vale a 6-2 defeat.The bizarre fact is that after beating us 8-1 Gillingham then won their next home match 10-0 v Chesterfield!!!!

4-1 Tom!

That was teh only season I went to every game home and away and we conceded everything from 0-8 except for 5.

Early days yes, but I think its too early to say whether Walsall was just a bad day, or a step up in class. We will know a lot more after tomorrow and Saturday.

Although only finishing 4th last season and scraping through the play-offs (without actually winning a game in 90 minutes) this team did set a record of 84 points, so we should be OK as we have not had too many changes.

Good post, fbm. Sadly, I predict that the 'Brown Out' brigade will be in full flow on here again if we don't win at least one of the next two games.

I reckon 10 games in will tell us all where we are likely to end up.

I reckon 10 games in will tell us all where we are likely to end up.

Nope.

2014/15
8Pmpx6l.png

Yes. The data also tends to show you talk out of your bumhole.

But it clearly proved the teams who start well are unchanged in the top 9,just for you that means if after 10 games we are bottom 12 I reckon we will remain somewhere in the bottom 12.

But it clearly proved the teams who start well are unchanged in the top 9,just for you that means if after 10 games we are bottom 12 I reckon we will remain somewhere in the bottom 12.

It's one league in one year, it doesn't prove anything, other than that last season in L1 many teams ended up in a very different place at the end of the season, when compared to 10/11 games in.

None of the teams in the bottom 4 after 10/11 games went down. I think that's interesting.

Bottom line, even after 10/11 games there's no need to hit the panic button.

Back