• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But we don't know if there is any extra money, or if any extra money has been necessary. In fact, Tara Brady said last summer that this season's wage budget would be lower than last season's to fall in line with the decreased ticket revenue. We're in a division with a wage cap and there's not many players in our squad who I'd expect to be on big money.

I'd be very interested in seeing what our wage bill is but I guess we'll need to wait until the accounts are published to know for sure whether we're being bank-rolled or whether Sturrock has been shopping in the bargain basement all season.

Either way our wage bill for these 37 (or however many it is) players will be a mere fraction of what it was for 19 players two years ago.

Its all irrelevant now anyway. The players were signed, it hasn't worked out, we move on. However if we don't go up this season, which given we're now heading for the lottery of the playoffs looks more likely, I worry for next season. I don't understand how we could go from not having 2 pennies to rub together last season to having a 30+ man squad this year. It stinks of a big gamble on going for it this year at all costs in the hope we make it. We've never really found out where this extra money is coming from and well respected posters on here such as Cricko and Smiffy said at the start of the season that we'd invested heavily on promotion this season and we've signed a hell of a lot more since then.

I'm amazed at the size of our current squad (though the dismissal of Johnson will have trimmed a lot off our early season wage bill) but the salary cap does undermine the 'all the eggs in one basket' theory - unless of course we're breaching the cap in which case our former Chief Exec has some serious questions to answer.

Its all irrelevant now anyway. The players were signed, it hasn't worked out, we move on. However if we don't go up this season, which given we're now heading for the lottery of the playoffs looks more likely, I worry for next season. I don't understand how we could go from not having 2 pennies to rub together last season to having a 30+ man squad this year. It stinks of a big gamble on going for it this year at all costs in the hope we make it. We've never really found out where this extra money is coming from and well respected posters on here such as Cricko and Smiffy said at the start of the season that we'd invested heavily on promotion this season and we've signed a hell of a lot more since then.

We had a pretty decent sized squad last year too.

This all happened after the club confirmed in August 2010 that Sainsbury had loaned us 5 million, and after we had paid tax bills were left with 1.5 million or so to help pay future bills. Add to that investment from Tara Brady and other directors and that may explain why we have managed to pay for the squads we have had since Sturrock took over.

30+ players is still a lot, but a number of those are players like Crawford Asante and youth development players who wont be on much. Take those out of the equation, plus the players out on loan and the long term injuries and it brings us down to around 20. If we were to take away the "pointless" signings we have made since January with the injuries we have had we would be struggling to fill the bench right now.

But we don't know if there is any extra money, or if any extra money has been necessary. In fact, Tara Brady said last summer that this season's wage budget would be lower than last season's to fall in line with the decreased ticket revenue. We're in a division with a wage cap and there's not many players in our squad who I'd expect to be on big money.

I'd be very interested in seeing what our wage bill is but I guess we'll need to wait until the accounts are published to know for sure whether we're being bank-rolled or whether Sturrock has been shopping in the bargain basement all season.

Either way our wage bill for these 37 (or however many it is) players will be a mere fraction of what it was for 19 players two years ago.

The next published accounts (due in a couple of months) will only take us up to the end of last season
You will have to wait until may next year to find out this seasons wage bill

We had a pretty decent sized squad last year too.

This all happened after the club confirmed in August 2010 that Sainsbury had loaned us 5 million, and after we had paid tax bills were left with 1.5 million or so to help pay future bills. Add to that investment from Tara Brady and other directors and that may explain why we have managed to pay for the squads we have had since Sturrock took over.

30+ players is still a lot, but a number of those are players like Crawford Asante and youth development players who wont be on much. Take those out of the equation, plus the players out on loan and the long term injuries and it brings us down to around 20. If we were to take away the "pointless" signings we have made since January with the injuries we have had we would be struggling to fill the bench right now.

I only gave the examples of Flood and Baldwin as pointless and I believe that even in the extremes of a horrific injury crisis those two would only be competing for a place on the bench. For me, squad players should be players that are good enough to play for the first team when required and I don't feel Sturrock has seen enough in Flood to want to give him a game. With Baldwin I was disappointed to see him go out on loan because I felt when match fit he'd be decent cover. Luke Prosser is battling with Lee Hills for the left back spot, Mark Phillips is prone to injury and Barker is woefully off form. Add to that Bilel Moshni is no longer seen as a CB and I'd say Baldwin could have been used.

Stop your messing around,
We want League One in the future.
Time to banish those doubts,
Creating problems for Cheltenham Town.
Luggy, a message to you Luggy.
A message to you.

Stop your tinkering around.
Time you straighten right out.
Better think of your future,
If you don’t then we fail.

Stop your messing around,
We want League One in the future.
Time to banish those doubts,
Creating problems for Cheltenham Town.
A message to you.

Stop your tinkering around.
Time you straighten right out.
Better think of your future,
If you don’t then we fail.

Would love to have the North Bank singing this tomorrow night!

I only gave the examples of Flood and Baldwin as pointless and I believe that even in the extremes of a horrific injury crisis those two would only be competing for a place on the bench. For me, squad players should be players that are good enough to play for the first team when required and I don't feel Sturrock has seen enough in Flood to want to give him a game. With Baldwin I was disappointed to see him go out on loan because I felt when match fit he'd be decent cover. Luke Prosser is battling with Lee Hills for the left back spot, Mark Phillips is prone to injury and Barker is woefully off form. Add to that Bilel Moshni is no longer seen as a CB and I'd say Baldwin could have been used.

Could have been, but hasnt. He came to play first team football and he wasnt going to get any so we moved him on.

We have 4 centre halves, thats more than enough.

Phillips and Barker are PS's choice pairing, Prosser and Mohsni can cover in case of injury. Baldwin was worth signing at the point we signed him, but if we kept him he would certainly be classed as pointless.

Your arguments were going so well .............. and then :dizzy:

Delighted with the rresult tonite, but thought luggy got it wrong from the start 1 up front at home ????????????????????? we looked up for it but would 11 v 11 had a different outcome. well played though chaps

Delighted with the rresult tonite, but thought luggy got it wrong from the start 1 up front at home ????????????????????? we looked up for it but would 11 v 11 had a different outcome. well played though chaps

They didnt have 11 for long, but we looked a bit better than them until then anyway.

I know its 1 up front but tonight it worked and was generally 3 up front, with all 3 front players grabbing a goal.

On a different night the formation would have been frustrating as normal, but cant complain with how it went today.

Even though they had 10 men they still had the same amount of defenders and the attackers did well, all looked dangerous.

They didnt have 11 for long, but we looked a bit better than them until then anyway.

I know its 1 up front but tonight it worked and was generally 3 up front, with all 3 front players grabbing a goal.

On a different night the formation would have been frustrating as normal, but cant complain with how it went today.

Even though they had 10 men they still had the same amount of defenders and the attackers did well, all looked dangerous.

oh yeah kane and mohsni supported well and the full backs were bombing on (which i love btw) chuffed freddy scored too.

Yep just worked tonight. Just as well as I was disappointed to see the way they lined up.

Expecting Eastwood to lead the line when not fit was strange. Luckily he didnt have to lead it as a target man with Hall and Mohsni supporting well.

Back