• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Angell Delight

Life President
The one chance we have to win automatic promotion now is to dispense with the negative home style of play. Eastwood is a fantastic signing and that still gives us hope but only if we use him effectively, a Martin/Grant/Timlin/Hall midfield with Eastwood/Benyon or Harris up top would give us a great chance of taking a good points haul from our remaining games. Timlin is so ineffective on the left and Freddy would have a field day not only from creating his own opportunities but also from a good supply line from wide areas in Hall & Martin.

I respect the job you have done at this club but square pegs in round holes may well end up costing us promotion.

And also a message to the supporters: LET'S BACK THE TEAM TO THE HILT IN THE REMAINING GAMES! We can play just as big a part in getting this club back into League One.

UTB!

The one chance we have to win automatic promotion now is to dispense with the negative home style of play. Eastwood is a fantastic signing and that still gives us hope but only if we use him effectively, a Martin/Grant/Timlin/Hall midfield with Eastwood/Benyon or Harris up top would give us a great chance of taking a good points haul from our remaining games. Timlin is so ineffective on the left and Freddy would have a field day not only from creating his own opportunities but also from a good supply line from wide areas in Hall & Martin.

I respect the job you have done at this club but square pegs in round holes may well end up costing us promotion.

And also a message to the supporters: LET'S BACK THE TEAM TO THE HILT IN THE REMAINING GAMES! We can play just as big a part in getting this club back into League One.

UTB!

The funny thing is that most of us on here have suggested those 4 as our midfield for a few weeks now. If we are all in agreement that thats probably our strongest available midfield then why can't the manager. I think if we went with the following line up there wouldn't be many of here that would disagree too much (one or two players maybe):

Belford

Clohessy
Barker
Phillips
Hills
Martin
Grant
Timlin
Hall
Eastwood
Benyon

Some may swap in Moshni or Prosser for Barker and maybe Harris for Benyon but the majority of the side would be the same and yet none of us seem to call the side that Sturrock actually puts out on a Saturday. That's one of the biggest problems with us at the mo.

I don't think it really matters who is in midfield if the ball bypasses them. David Martin playing wouldn't have changed anything on Saturday.

As has ours.....

Indeed. I do think having 2 wingers (hall and martin) on the pitch is a much more positive approach to the game especially at home. I still believe bilel should partner Freddy up front, if the wingers can get decent balls in the box and actually have someone like bilel who can get on the end of them then this is going to cause big problems for any team. Against Accrginton a few good balls went in but with only benyon in there we were never going to get on the end of them. Freddy will be able to pick up knock downs etc and i'm sure put them away. He's a poucher aswell as scoring the spectacular goal.

I agree we should have two wide player's like Hall and Martin in home games that should be able to create chances that hopefully will lead to goals and some excitement.
Sure both player's might not be so good at tracking back but at Roots Hall I feel we should look at things offensively first and these two would seem to offer most in that direction.
Timlin struggles out wide so I would have him alongside Grant in the middle of midfield.
I would start with Freddy up top with Harris as would seem to me to be the most suited partner for him with Benyon to come off the bench.
It does not ruin my night if the opposition score as long as we win but I really do not want to endure any more home's without a shot on target !.

I don't think it really matters who is in midfield if the ball bypasses them. David Martin playing wouldn't have changed anything on Saturday.

A good point - Hills at LB and Mohsni in CD would improve things. Mohsni for all his faults is the one CD we have who is capable of linking with midfield instead of booting upfield

A message to Sturrock.

Play 4-4 ****ing 2. With 2 wingers!!

Start Friday with a midfield and front 2 of
Hall, Grant, Timlin, Martin
Mohsni, Eastwood

We need to come out all guns blazing and get right in their faces from the first whistle to the last. No more of this negativity at home.​

A message to Sturrock.

Mohsni, Eastwood

We need to come out all guns blazing and get right in their faces from the first whistle to the last. No more of this negativity at home.​

Agree, And while this selection of course might not work, I'd much rather see us go out with a bang, not a whimper. Timlin out wide is an extremely rare case of the Zone being in agreement!

I definitely agree that Timlin should not be used on the Left again. Also, the hoof crept back in last game , just when we were starting to play it around, especially at Hereford where it was possibly our best passing game of the season that led to 3 away goals. If we can play that way and get the ball to Freddy's feet, him and Benyon will score the goals needed. If we hoof it up to Freddy and Benyon, forget it.

The key to this is feed Freddy Eastwood and he will score. This is where the Manager hopefully does his job, and makes it happen with the right tactics.

UTB!

Thanks for your contribution Fergie! :whistling:

Agree, And while this selection of course might not work, I'd much rather see us go out with a bang, not a whimper. Timlin out wide is an extremely rare case of the Zone being in agreement!

Exactly, if we're beaten by a better side you can accept it and hold your hands up. Swindon are the only side that have done that this season. Too many times we've just rolled over and invited pressure onto ourselves.

A message to Sturrock.

Mohsni, Eastwood

Agreed apart from Mohsni up front, he isn't a striker and it's asking an awful lot of him. I favour Benyon (or Harris) to start with Freddy.

Exactly, if we're beaten by a better side you can accept it and hold your hands up. Swindon are the only side that have done that this season. Too many times we've just rolled over and invited pressure onto ourselves.

Swindon, the only side that has been better than us this season. Ok, i bow to your judgement. you see the games i dont, but thats a bit of a call. I seem to cast my mind back where we have been outplayed by sides halfway up the table, and that does not include sides in the top seven, where we have consistently been outplayed.

Another one here calling for the Hall, Grant, Timlin, Martin midfield four.

With Freddy and Bilel/Benyon or Harris up top.

We are seriously lacking the right service to the front guys. Get the ball wide to Hall and Martin at every opportunity and they will deliver. Also, get the ball into Freddy's FEET 30 yards from goal and wonderful things will happen...

Pumping the "direct" balls into the channels will not bring the best out of those mentioned above.

Last edited:
I am interested in this playing people out of position discussion when apparently it ok for Bilel .

IIRC Che Wilson was not a left back but we go promoted twice with him playing there.

IMO Oxford were much better than us in the home game this season and we scored against the run of play to go 1-0 up. They got the equaliser their performance deserved and we played slightly better in the second with Ryan Hall scoring a goal worthy of winning any game. We were certainly second best for long spells though.

Swindon, the only side that has been better than us this season. Ok, i bow to your judgement. you see the games i dont, but thats a bit of a call. I seem to cast my mind back where we have been outplayed by sides halfway up the table, and that does not include sides in the top seven, where we have consistently been outplayed.

We were digging in and grinding out results then. Now, we just roll over.

Agreed apart from Mohsni up front, he isn't a striker and it's asking an awful lot of him. I favour Benyon (or Harris) to start with Freddy.

I see Harris and Benyon too similar to Freddy as the 'fox in the box' type of forward.

I can imagine Bilel in a Goater-esque role.

Back