• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Missed Opportunity

Shrimperjohn

Newbie⭐
Well I went to the protest . First time I’ve ever done anything like that. I have to say I was hugely disappointed in the turn out. This is not the organisers fault .. we can get 33,000 to watch Crewe at Wembley but we can’t even get 500 out to protest for much needed change... The apathy is simply amazing ..... well done to those who did turn up.
The missed opportunity bit surrounds the organisers themselves .. like many I stood around, I chatted to a few loyal shrimpers chewing the cud so to speak but representatives of the Supporters Trust / Save Our Southend / Shrimperzone/ Custard Splat and the other organisers why couldn’t you just make yourselves known to the wider group of people that attended . The whole event seemed very disjointed . There were the obvious Martin Out chants that I was expecting but why no speeches? Where was the dialogue ? I have to say I was not alone in saying this ..... Something to consider for the next protest I guess .....

It's simple.

Ron's statements to the press. Ron's forum with the fans, the appointment of PB and sacking of MM and the weather all took the sting out of what should have been a solid protest.

Yes, he definitely got what he wanted with the fans' forum. Really took the sting out of it.

Yes, he definitely got what he wanted with the fans' forum. Really took the sting out of it.

Yep he's an expert and almost had me fooled for a while but his lack of a sincere apology and other very typical politician answer's to other direct questions on the zoom meeting and BBC radio interview convinced me nothing has changed ☹

Or maybe it was hearing that with a drastic reduction in income, employing 1 or even 2 CEO's (1 desperately needed) and offering PB a long term contract without finalising a budget for next year gave me serious jitters knowing our shameful and embarrassing financial history ?

Well I went to the protest . First time I’ve ever done anything like that. I have to say I was hugely disappointed in the turn out. This is not the organisers fault .. we can get 33,000 to watch Crewe at Wembley but we can’t even get 500 out to protest for much needed change... The apathy is simply amazing ..... well done to those who did turn up.
The missed opportunity bit surrounds the organisers themselves .. like many I stood around, I chatted to a few loyal shrimpers chewing the cud so to speak but representatives of the Supporters Trust / Save Our Southend / Shrimperzone/ Custard Splat and the other organisers why couldn’t you just make yourselves known to the wider group of people that attended . The whole event seemed very disjointed . There were the obvious Martin Out chants that I was expecting but why no speeches? Where was the dialogue ? I have to say I was not alone in saying this ..... Something to consider for the next protest I guess .....

Thanks for the feedback. It’s not easy and took quite a bit of organising. Numbers could have been better but 350 considering the last one was about 150. I could have done a speech maybe but let’s be honest it ain’t about me and did not want it to seem like that. Then again at least we tried. Now it’s back to trying to work with the club on the way forward.

Last edited:
You and the others involved have done a tremendous job so far Scott (@TrueBlue ) so well done for today. I don't think anyone should be despondent about turn-out this afternoon as this is but a step in the campaign for change at Southend Utd. Bear in mind everyone that the charge for change from all sides of the Blues supporter spectrum has convinced Ron that he has to do something and the CEO progress is a first step. SOS must now keep up sustained pressure to see things through. By the way, supporters everywhere in Southend, whether they attended today or not, want the Club to get better at what it does but change doesn't happen overnight, and in Ron's case he can be slower than Brian the Snail but keep going everyone, we will return.

The fact these are not normal times with covid and the like and no fans even going to the stadium for months will also have impacted it

So did the protest put the fear of God into Ron and make him put the club up for sale? I suspect it served as a reminder to RM that the opposition, loosely termed, that he faces is lacking unity and organisation.

I am all for fan representation and a mouthpiece that can liaise with the board and RM. That needs to be a duly elected person that can unite all the fan groups. In actual fact unity is not seeing all the group's agree. It is being one group.

The fans, us fans, have no legal right to demand anything. Ron bought the right to do as he sees fit. What sanctions can you impose? No fans attending games? Too late. Embargo on club merchandise? In the scheme of his project it would be little more than an annoyance.

We are absolutely powerless to force him to do anything, so it is better to find ways to work with and support him. Hopefully his aspirations will bring about our dreams too. There is a lot of energy going into picking a fight and the same energy would be better used positively supporting a cause. UTB

Thanks for the feedback. It’s not easy and took quite a bit of organising. Numbers could have been better but 350 considering the last one was about 150. I could have done a speech maybe but let’s be honest it ain’t about me and did not want it to seem like that. Then again at least we tried. Now it’s back to trying to work with the club on the way forward.
True blue thank you for responding so positively and my comments were no means a criticism of the fantastic efforts you have put in these past few months in particular. I guess I was expecting the various organisation groups represented to be more visible and more vocal . There were people there that were looking for a focal point. I spoke with 4/5 different people who said exactly the same as me on that aspect. Really appreciate the efforts you have put in thus far and it’s great that you have accepted my feedback so positively . UTB.

It's simple.

Ron's statements to the press. Ron's forum with the fans, the appointment of PB and sacking of MM and the weather all took the sting out of what should have been a solid protest.

But that makes no sense. Most fans agree that Ron needs to show actions not words. His comments on Thursday were just words. It all sounded lovely, but until he follows through it means nothing.

True blue thank you for responding so positively and my comments were no means a criticism of the fantastic efforts you have put in these past few months in particular. I guess I was expecting the various organisation groups represented to be more visible and more vocal . There were people there that were looking for a focal point. I spoke with 4/5 different people who said exactly the same as me on that aspect. Really appreciate the efforts you have put in thus far and it’s great that you have accepted my feedback so positively . UTB.
Yeah thanks the feedback good or bad is always welcome, none of us were use to organising this kind of thing. We battle on.

So did the protest put the fear of God into Ron and make him put the club up for sale? I suspect it served as a reminder to RM that the opposition, loosely termed, that he faces is lacking unity and organisation.

I am all for fan representation and a mouthpiece that can liaise with the board and RM. That needs to be a duly elected person that can unite all the fan groups. In actual fact unity is not seeing all the group's agree. It is being one group.

The fans, us fans, have no legal right to demand anything. Ron bought the right to do as he sees fit. What sanctions can you impose? No fans attending games? Too late. Embargo on club merchandise? In the scheme of his project it would be little more than an annoyance.

We are absolutely powerless to force him to do anything, so it is better to find ways to work with and support him. Hopefully his aspirations will bring about our dreams too. There is a lot of energy going into picking a fight and the same energy would be better used positively supporting a cause. UTB
Well it made him come out and speak to the fans, he also asked me to come down and speak to him personally, which I did, and he told me that things will change.

I am hearing from a few that he was on the megaphone telling some to **** off, I did not hear it but some maybe able to back that up

I wanted the various organisation groups to be better identified and more visible and vocal. I was not the only person saying this ...

But you’ve still managed to dig out “The Custard Splat”?

So we were visible.....

for what it’s worth. I was ****ed off too

it became apparent quite early on that things were not as agreed

not gonna put my name to something I don’t agree with and nor would you

Back