• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A new Manager

I have read all the posts regarding Tilly, his SUFC employment, his Norwich, Ipswich and WBA approaches and i don't want to add any fuel to this saga.
However the general obvious consensus is that should Tilson continue in the successfull vein for the forseeable future he will no doubt move upwards to better things. Nearly all on here agree that he owes the club and its fans nothing at all and would leave with all our best wishes.

Now for the obvious question...

Who would SUFC attract to replace him at present?

Any ideas, options etc?
I say this with all seriousness and not to start a negative post about this matter, but who could fill his shoes?

I'm at a loss at the moment to even come up with anyone with anywhere near his man management abilities.

Has anyone asked the question as to why Norwich would want to gamble their promotion prospects on an unproven CCC manager. All respect to Tilly but is he ready for the 'big' time yet?

Gary Hill. did brilliantly at the Daggers, since then has done well when managing the team with the most dough in the League, Hornchurch/Weymouth..
Jeff King knows his footy limitations and would employ a coach, does have the added benefit of being fking loaded, but would Ron want to dilute his power base after doing all the hard work.
Stimmo.. Turning it around at'Boro' after a poor start.. got real potential to go a long way.. Can be a bit flakey in the temper stakes..

I don't think it is very apprpriate to think too far ahead right now, but Hill & King should not be considered, Stimson as a possible given his SUFC connections.

People seem to have forgotten Paul Brush in the equation, and he sholud be the next cab off the rank.

Or as a complete managerial novice what about Teddy Sheringham?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Oct. 10 2006,08:38)]I don't think it is very apprpriate to think too far ahead right now, but Hill & King should not be considered, Stimson as a possible given his SUFC connections.  

People seem to have forgotten Paul Brush in the equation, and he sholud be the next cab off the rank.

Or as a complete managerial novice what about Teddy Sheringham?
rock.gif
I agree with you there canvey, it may not be appropriate at this stage yet i felt that this subject is getting quite serious and some thought could be applied just in case.
It was also raised as i was left with very few options when i considered a successor to Tilly.

Sheringham would be a huge gamble, he may attract a few half decent loans but it would be folly place him in charge both for the club and his career.

Of all the current managers out of work, I'd say Curbishley, but we've got no chance there. If we hadn't gained Championship status I'd have said give Stimmo a try. So all in all, if we do need to look for a new manager, it would be interesting to see who we'd go for. I feel like a lot of others on here, Brushy would walk with Tilly if he were to leave so that probably rules him out of it, plus is he up to being top man again anyway?

Even guys like Worthington & McLeish will probably think "little old Southend" is too much beneath them. Solid ex-pros like Sheringham and even Chris Powell are maybe too much of a risk given our bad experiences with Whelan & Martin and other than Brian Laws there's probably no manager in League One who I'd hope we could try & tempt.

I just hope despite all his attempts to deflect attention from clubs coveting Tilson, Ron Martin has some idea who he would want. On face value, it's not a scenario I would relish.

I dont think Stimmo would ever be considered - Did Ron Marin not sack him as youth team coach???
suspect.gif
Seem to recall that he was rumored to be a nasty bit of work.

I think it would only be fair to give Brushy the job if he didnt leave with Tilly.

Assuming he went then I am really at a loss. I really dont want some grotty Northern Tramp coming in who is doing the rounds. Someone like Alan Little or Wignall makes me feel sick.

I cant see anyone in the lower leagues that massivley inspires me or has done a great job. Maybe the bloke at Barnet as he was highly rated but I am just plucking names from hats here. Even a sweaty like the Gretna boss maybe.

I would been keen to maybe give an assistant manager at this level a try. Dont ask me for names but an eager Assistant at this level who knows the opposition and has some contacts.
Sort of hoping for an Ade Boothroyd type sucess story.

Finally I dont think I would be opposed to giving Ricky Duncan a chance. He seems to be a knowledgeable man and has done wonders with the youth team. With a decent assistant manager along side him I would be ok with this.

One bonus is at least with our current status we can hope to get a few decent applicants maybe.Better than the Wignall / Whitton debate we had 3 years ago.....

Hopefully Tilly will see the light and stay with us.....

blush.gif

What about re-appointing Steve Thompson (the Notts County boss).

Doing a good job there, and has transformed their squad!

Bit of a negative thread this one, Tilly is here for life we hope!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Oct. 10 2006,08:38)]Or as a complete managerial novice what about Teddy Sheringham?
rock.gif
Nooooooooo, that would be like Whelan all over again other than the fact that Teddy has more expensive tastes and a greater circle of drinking pals.
sad.gif

If (that's IF) Tilly goes to Norwich I think it would be quite funny to get Nigel Worthington in as boss. He's got decent enough credentials and I think Norwich were far too hasty getting rid of him in the first place.

Steve Thompson - did a great job for us before .

But really hope Tilly doesnt go !!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Oct. 11 2006,13:17)]Assuming he went then I am really at a loss. I really dont want some grotty Northern Tramp coming in who is doing the rounds. Someone like Alan Little or Wignall makes me feel sick.

I cant see anyone in the lower leagues that massivley inspires me or has done a great job. Maybe the bloke at Barnet as he was highly rated but I am just plucking names from hats here. Even a sweaty like the Gretna boss maybe.
Not a bad shout with Alexander from Gretna to be honest, but what you need to consider is they're running with the 6th biggest budget in Scottish football so it's no wonder they're doing so well considering the worst Southend XI of the past 10 years would probably perform similarly. Could he perform in the English leagues, especially the Championship? Only real precedent of this was Neale Cooper at Hartlepool, I'll leave Gillingham out of the equation as face it that probably didn't work out as he can't allegedly keep it in his underwear (was it Scally's wife? ? ?)

Also, I thought about suggesting Fairclough yesterday, but again he's not really achieved anything recently at Barnet, although I suppose keeping them in L2 is an achievement in itself. Plus, sorry to destroy your arguement, but he's a Scouser so that's another "Northern Tramp" like Wignall!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 11 2006,13:45)]Plus, sorry to destroy your arguement, but he's a Scouser so that's another "Northern Tramp" like Wignall!
Right forget him then......

I want a Southern Manager I can relate to please.

My criteria is as follows :

* Southern
* No connection to Borient, Col U or West Ham
* Used to dealing with minimal budget
* Wont wear a suit on matchdays
* Non Smoker
* Likes to clap fans at away games.

Other than that I am fine with anyone.

DtS

Joe Royle would be a good choice for me as he can get better loans players in - Iam getting pi**ed off seeing Stoke, Hull & Ipswich getting in loans players to improve their weak link for their team, while we are CRYING out for a central midfielder!

...bear in mind DTS, he has been part of our back to back promotion winning team, is a hardcore Southend fan, and has a penchant for clapping the fans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (M25 Shrimpers @ Oct. 11 2006,14:07)]...bear in mind DTS, he has been part of our back to back promotion winning team, is a hardcore Southend fan, and has a penchant for clapping the fans.
Spot on.....Can see it now

"Dave the Kitman's Barmy Army (S-U-F-C)
Dave the Kitman's Barmy Army (S-U-F-C)
Dave the Kitman's Barmy Army (S-U-F-C)"

Great ring to it.....

Back