• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
After 22 and a half years I am attempting to say thank you to persons unknown.The date? 4th May 1991. Significant for many as Southend United were playing Bury away....promotion to the second tier could finally be achieved after 85 years.I had arranged and paid to go on a minibus with the regular lads but to cut a long story short, a communication error led me to wait to be picked up at the wrong location. The lads meanwhile went to my house to be told I had left an hour and a half ago. No mobile phone in '91 meant - a problem. I was going to miss the biggest day in our history.I made my way to my house. My then girlfriend explained the boys had been round and expected to see me in Bury!! Disaster!!!!I threw the blue scarved teddybear she had bought me the previous day and had a strop. I had no car, just booze money and too late to get a train. What to do???I got a lift from a neighbour to the M25 junction. At the junction on the hard shoulder were groups of scooter boys - it was a Bank Holiday weekend and they were going to Yarmouth. I explained my predicament and they said they had seen lots of blue and yellow cars and coaches earlier on their journey but not seen anyone for about 40 minutes. It was far too late. I was crushed but stood with a forlorn thumb out. Suddenly a huge shout. There was a car with yellow and blue scarf turning on to the M25. Some of the scooter boys virtually dived in front of the car. It stopped. I said "can you take me to Bury - PLEASE". The door opened. I got in. It was an expensive car. I explained my morning and a huge car phone was uncoiled and passed to the back seats. "Call your lady and tell her you will be in Bury on time" - that was said as a plastic cup was poured full of beer from a keg and passed to me. HAPPINESS! The rest of the day is history. Who were you??????????????????????????????? Thank you!! Kevin.

After 22 and a half years I am attempting to say thank you to persons unknown.The date? 4th May 1991. Significant for many as Southend United were playing Bury away....promotion to the second tier could finally be achieved after 85 years.I had arranged and paid to go on a minibus with the regular lads but to cut a long story short, a communication error led me to wait to be picked up at the wrong location. The lads meanwhile went to my house to be told I had left an hour and a half ago. No mobile phone in '91 meant - a problem. I was going to miss the biggest day in our history.I made my way to my house. My then girlfriend explained the boys had been round and expected to see me in Bury!! Disaster!!!!I threw the blue scarved teddybear she had bought me the previous day and had a strop. I had no car, just booze money and too late to get a train. What to do???I got a lift from a neighbour to the M25 junction. At the junction on the hard shoulder were groups of scooter boys - it was a Bank Holiday weekend and they were going to Yarmouth. I explained my predicament and they said they had seen lots of blue and yellow cars and coaches earlier on their journey but not seen anyone for about 40 minutes. It was far too late. I was crushed but stood with a forlorn thumb out. Suddenly a huge shout. There was a car with yellow and blue scarf turning on to the M25. Some of the scooter boys virtually dived in front of the car. It stopped. I said "can you take me to Bury - PLEASE". The door opened. I got in. It was an expensive car. I explained my morning and a huge car phone was uncoiled and passed to the back seats. "Call your lady and tell her you will be in Bury on time" - that was said as a plastic cup was poured full of beer from a keg and passed to me. HAPPINESS! The rest of the day is history. Who were you??????????????????????????????? Thank you!! Kevin.

Love it. That is tremendous. Hope he gets to read or hear about this, and gets in contact.

Is absolutely true and an example of just how fantastic following Southend United is. If it were Liverpool? Arsenal or Manchester united? I would still be standing in the hard shoulder. Never forget what a fantastic football club we ALL are!

So who gave you the lift home?

He won't remember I expect he was too ****ed to care after celebrating the greatest day in our history! I'm glad I was there. In fact it was the first ever time I went by coach (and I've only been twice by coach) and it picked me up at the M25/A127 but i came back by car as I met my mate up there. Back to car trips after that.

I remember getting the train back from Bury Station, full of shrimpers, everyone shell-shocked trying to come to terms with the fact that we had finally been promoted to Division Two.

What a day!

Funnily enough, I was in Yarmouth on a lads Bank Holiday weekend away, we hadn't realized the scooter rally was on, but it was all a good laugh. Well remember hearing the result from Bury on the radio while on Great Yarmouth seafront !!

It was me.
You owe me petrol money.

A good story indeed but you went around 200 miles in a car with these people. Did it not occur to you to ask them their names?

It goes the other way very occasionally. Years ago going to Brentford everything went wrong on the trains , including underground. Met this poor older gent somewhat frazzled and lost, trying to get there. Sorted out his underground ticket and route and accompanied him to near the ground. He then asked if I would run off and hail down a taxi which I did, and helped bundle him in. He then told me he was Bill Ruben the then Southend Chairman, and for all my efforts he would generously SHARE the taxi fare with me. At the ground with me half thinking of a bag of sweets, hot sausage roll, programme, free ticket, seat in the Directors box, he firmly said right you go that way Im going in here as he headed off to the luxury box. What a generous old soul?!

Back