• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A plea for help from a fellow shrimper!

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
My mate Richard, a fanatical St Mirren Supporter and converted to a shrimper
when he moved to Essex, flew out to Zambia the day after attending the
league 2 play off final in Cardiff (what a send off!). He has not been back
to the UK since, which means he completely missed seeing both his English
and Scottish teams become champions of their respective leagues last year!
(How gutted was he!).

He does this because he's quite literally a man on a mission to make the
world a better place, and he is doing it by working for The Salvation Army
in one of the poorest areas of the world.

A few weeks back I, along with 8 other of his mates, received this e-mail:

"'Two weeks ago our ambulance broke down, resulting in the death of one
newly born baby and severe complications in another delivery case. On Friday
we were given the news that the Chikankata Hospital Ambulance is in need of
an ambulance itself as it is very ill! Basically we need a new ambulance
desperately.'

Inspired by a Danny Wallace book that I had sent him, he has challenged me
and the other eight to find 200 people each to donate a tenner towards the
new ambulance. You can read more about it here:
http://www.charliechikankata.blogspot.com/ (scroll down to the post on 5th
August)

I'd love to show Richard what a generous bunch the shrimper community are -
can we find 200 shrimpers to donate a tenner each? He's back in the UK for a
break at Christmas and will be attending the Birmingham game - it would be
great to present him with a large cheque for £2000 on the pitch!

The challenge is on - tell all your mates to "gisatenner" - they can donate
online with a credit card below:

Gisatenner

Cheers

Shrimpergarry

Better if we bump the topic to the top as much as possible for a while. I find that topics that get pinned are seen less than those at the top of the general list.

I'm up for bumping it, and happy for it to stay on this board for a while, as is the way with all Shrimper-related charity appeals.

Tenner's on it's way.

Matt

Edited because I'm no longer a cynic ...

down.gif

Guys, if you read the post carefully this is Garry's MATE not some dimwit claiming to have a fortune in oil dollars needing moved. Surely that should be enough for you - or do you think that Garry joined 3 years ago and has made 500+ posts for the sole purpose of fleecing Shrimperzoners? Also the "JustGiving" site is a pukka site linked to anynumber of charities - isn't it the one Tilly used to collect his Marathon donations?

A quick look on Google gives us:
That it is a real hospital, in partnership with the Sally Army.

If you had doubts about this surely some research first before casting doubt on it, and a PM to Garry expressing your concerns. By posting on here without checking first you have sown a seed of doubt that may have stopped others giving.

You have a responsibility to be cautious over these matters, and are at full liberty to check carefully and not donate if you don't want to, but you also have a responsibility to Garry not to mess up his efforts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Sep. 07 2006,13:31)]Guys, if you read the post carefully this is Garry's MATE not some dimwit claiming to have a fortune in oil dollars needing moved. Surely that should be enough for you - or do you think that Garry joined 3 years ago and has made 500+ posts for the sole purpose of fleecing Shrimperzoners? Also the "JustGiving" site is a pukka site linked to anynumber of charities - isn't it the one Tilly used to collect his Marathon donations?

A quick look on Google gives us:
That it is a real hospital, in partnership with the Sally Army.

If you had doubts about this surely some research first before casting doubt on it, and a PM to Garry expressing your concerns. By posting on here without checking first you have sown a seed of doubt that may have stopped others giving.

You have a responsibility to be cautious over these matters, and are at full liberty to check carefully and not donate if you don't want to,  but you also have a responsibility to Garry not to mess up his efforts.
I have no reason to doubt Garry and yes all looks above board

my apoliges to you Garry if I have offended you

Might I suggest unpinning this so that more people read it. I've only just noticed it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't look at pinned topics.

charity starts at home.. surely a weight loss and fitness membership down fitness first for ricketts is better..

Bit short notice, but maybe the Shrimpers Trust could organise a whipround at the quiz night tomorrow night. I would happily chip in with a few quid.
wink.gif

Thanks for all those who have been so generous to date - we're still way short of the target though!

For those who doubted the authenticity of this appeal - I can personally assure you that this is 100% genuine - Richard is a real person (and a close friend) who will be at the Birmingham game just before Christmas - I'll introduce you if you like!

The official site of Chikankate hospital is here: Salvation Army Chikankata (note his name at the bottom of the page!)

While Richard's own account of his life there is found here: Charlie Chikankata

Here's another picture of him in action - as he pointed out to me, he's on the front row, right hand side in a maroon t-shirt!

BTW - if you're forgotten where to go to donate, Click here

rich%20chikankata.jpg

Gary, have you thought about posting this on Shrimpers On Line as well? I'd suggest Rivals, but sometimes the standard of posting leaves a lot to be desired
biggrin.gif

Back