• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Robbo

South Upper miserabilist
With all the Tilly/Flavahan/Harrold/ticket office staff bashing I just want to change the tone and say as a new Shrimperzone member and a first time Season Card holder, well done to our club.

You expect ups and downs supporting your club and elements of last season and some of the games this season have made me pull my hair out at times.

BUT as a teacher in a local secondary school I know how many kids are now following their local team and are doing their best to support Tilly and Brush and the players.

As a father of two sons aged eight and three (who also have their own season tickets) I know how much this club means to them and I am proud of their belief in their club.

Things may not always go well on the pitch but please remember how this club has grown over the last few years and how many youngsters you see at games supporting their local team.

Top post, Robbo.

We've had a lot of new joiners recently... welcome one and all. Maybe that marketing manager of ours is quite good...

:D

Which school you teach in?

Welcome. Great post.

I teach at a catholic boys' school in the Southend area. Loads of lads interested in SUFC, loads of lads who have had enough of the premiership and are really dismissive of the glory hunters who follow anyone who's doing well in it.

Last edited:
It's great to see more and more local lads around the ground. Admittedly, some of them come with their dads, wearing Premiership teams' colours, but they'll be hooked soon enough :p

Great post, and its true we, as a club, have come a hell of a long way in the last 4 years, dont forget that!!

Incredible and so encouraging for the future.
Southend High had a handful of Shrimpers in each year when I left there in 1990 ish

Southend High had a handful of Shrimpers in each year when I left there in 1990 ish

That's shocking considering the school's proximity to the ground :(

Nowadays, it's good to see people getting on the train from Billericay, where I live, and wearing SUFC shirts. I also know a lot of people who come to many of our games from the Chelmsford area and even up in Col Ewe's territory :finger:

Same at WHSB in the late 70s/early 80s, but I got to see every home game where very few of them got to see their "club" and in those days there were surprisingly few Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal fans but an over abundance of Liverpool fans, funny that.

The improvement is a testament not just to recent success but to the hard work the club has put in at a local level over the last few years.

I was at King Edmunds in Rochford till '86 and there were only 2 or 3 of us who said we supported Southend (and had the p!ss ripped out of us because of it) Now if i'm ever unfortunate enough to have to share a bus with todays kids (noisy bastids the lot of ya :guns: :guns: ) if anyone is talking about football its mostly The Blues they talk of.... most encouraging indeed

With all the Tilly/Flavahan/Harrold/ticket office staff bashing I just want to change the tone and say as a new Shrimperzone member and a first time Season Card holder, well done to our club.

You expect ups and downs supporting your club and elements of last season and some of the games this season have made me pull my hair out at times.

BUT as a teacher in a local secondary school I know how many kids are now following their local team and are doing their best to support Tilly and Brush and the players.

As a father of two sons aged eight and three (who also have their own season tickets) I know how much this club means to them and I am proud of their belief in their club.

Things may not always go well on the pitch but please remember how this club has grown over the last few years and how many youngsters you see at games supporting their local team.

Good post - would just like to say tho that I have been a STH for rather longer than you and don't have much hair left now . You have been warned ! ;)

A heartening post. I attended secondary school between 1990-1995 and got the p*ss ripped out of me for supporting the Shrimpers (even though we were then in the old Div 1.) It's nice to know things have changed. When I get back to see Southend play it always amazes me how many Southend shirts I see down the High Street and around town, especially the youngsters. Only been away four years but things have changed for the better.

Top post Robbo

Southend have come along way in the last 4 years something that seems to be forgotten by a small minority of Southend fans(probably because they wern't supporting Southend 4 years ago).
The club is on the way up and once we have the new ground the club will become even bigger in this area.

As I said in the 'disilusion Chelsea supporter post' the Premiership is an arm chair supporters league for teams owned by billionaires... It's really great to see so many Southend shirts about the town and to see them coming from far and awide..... So it looks as though all those doubters concerning our 22'000 stadium have not noticed that our gates are up and our town is turning Navy Blue instead of Red - Red - Claret - Blue

Great post, and very heartening.

I am one of those with an issue over my season ticket card but still don't want to dwell on the negativity of it all. Yes, the organisation and systems at the club leave a bit to be desired but the staff I've dealt with whilst sorting it out have been very helpful and apologetic.

There is far more positives things about being a Southend United fan overall than negative and we shouldn't forget that.

Back