• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Although he sounded as if he really wants to get Freddy to stay with what he said on the CCC, I think even the most diehard Southend fan knows that his days in a navy blue shirt are numbered. There has to come a time when we cash in our prize asset unfortunately but that's modern day football and as Spinner said after all Fred has done for Southend you can't really deny him the opportunity to better himself.

However, as the formerly credible artist known as Chris Martin once said: Everything's Not Lost!

There is a ready made replacement for Freddy Eastwood at Celtic Park and he wants to leave. Please Ron, don't let Norwich nip in here and beat us to it. Maybe Stevie Hammell could have a word too. A player who we probably could afford and wouldn't burst the existing wage structure (I'd have thought he'll take whatever you were going to offer Fred to tempt him to stay). Signing this boy could be the difference between staying up & having to fight our way back up to this level again to do the new ground justice.

From today's Metro:
Grant plots an escape for Riordan
NORWICH CITY manager Peter Grant last night confirmed he is keen to sign frozen-out Celtic striker Derek Riordan.

The former Parkhead midfielder has been linked with a £200,000 swoop for the Hoops forward, who has been frustrated by a lack of first-team football, when the transfer window opens in January. Grant said: "I like Riordan, he has a good scoring record. That's something I could look at nearer Christmas."

Would be a quality signing...

No way he would leave Celtic for Southend though.

sad.gif

Mmmmmm Norwich = hefty pay packet. A chance of getting to the play-offs, and who knows Premiership football next year. Failing that a team that will be contenders for promotion next year. Or Southend = not quite such a bulging pay packet. Relegation dog fight, and who knows League One next year.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Nov. 14 2006,11:44)]Would be a quality signing...

No way he would leave Celtic for Southend though.

sad.gif
But people would have said that about Stevie Hammell in June.........
wink.gif

To be fair Glasgow, Motherwell to Southend is a little bit less of a drop in stature..

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Nov. 14 2006,11:48)]To be fair Glasgow, Motherwell to Southend is a little bit less of a drop in stature..

laugh.gif
I'd say Hammell & Riordan have comparable SPL careers, albeit in different positions. Remember Celtic allegedly wanted SH 18 months ago but were told he'd cost over £1m!

You can't blame Riordan for wanting a shot at the big-time in Scotland but it hasn't worked, purely because Celtic have shored up their finances which has allowed them to sign players of the quality of Vennegor of Hesselink. I'd say the majority of SPL players know the English Championship is a comparable if not better league & if we sold the club right; exciting manager, great facilities with new stadium, untapped potential in terms of catchment area, etc etc etc then this to be honest is the level of player we need to attract if we're serious about keeping our Championship status. As a lot of people have stated on here and certainly the overall message you get from official club statements about the future, we might not be looked down upon as "little old Southend" for too much longer!

Jeez, I am feeling positive today, better have a lie-down so the old cynical me is back for the afternoon!

Roirdan was doing fine at Hibs before he decided to join those weedgy soapdodgers. Promising young player bought by Old Firm club and left to rot on the bench is par for the course for the SPL.

I wouldn't be surprised if WBA / Mowbray started sniffing around as I don't think he wanted him to leave Hibs in the first place. Got to be honest though I can't see SUFC being top of his list. Hibs are a far bigger club than us and he had no hesitation in leaving them to progress his career.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Nov. 14 2006,12:14)]I wouldn't be surprised if WBA / Mowbray started sniffing around as I don't think he wanted him to leave Hibs in the first place. Got to be honest though I can't see SUFC being top of his list. Hibs are a far bigger club than us and he had no hesitation in leaving them to progress his career.
Maybe, although would he want to swap the bench at Celtic Park for the one at The Hawthorns?

Hibs are only perceived as a big club because of geography. Face if they were that size in England, they'd be the equivalent of Bristol City!

Celtic pay loads in wages tho. Wouldnt be surprised if he was on £10-15k. We are more likely to go for someone from the lower leagues.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ Nov. 14 2006,12:27)]Celtic pay loads in wages tho. Wouldnt be surprised if he was on £10-15k. We are more likely to go for someone from the lower leagues.
I have it on good authority how much he's on & it isn't as much as you'd think!!!

Although, from a lower league perspective, that kid at Brighton looked good in their cup game! Jake Robinson?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Nov. 14 2006,12:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ Nov. 14 2006,12:27)]Celtic pay loads in wages tho. Wouldnt be surprised if he was on £10-15k. We are more likely to go for someone from the lower leagues.
I have it on good authority how much he's on & it isn't as much as you'd think!!!
Go on then??...

Enlighten us...

If it's less than 5K a week I won't believe you.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Nov. 14 2006,12:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Nov. 14 2006,12:14)]I wouldn't be surprised if WBA / Mowbray started sniffing around as I don't think he wanted him to leave Hibs in the first place. Got to be honest though I can't see SUFC being top of his list. Hibs are a far bigger club than us and he had no hesitation in leaving them to progress his career.
Maybe, although would he want to swap the bench at Celtic Park for the one at The Hawthorns?

Hibs are only perceived as a big club because of geography.  Face if they were that size in England, they'd be the equivalent of Bristol City!
If Hibs played in England they'd be bigger than that. I'd put them in the Pompey, Bolton size bracket

They were a very big team back in the fifities and before. and they have a proud history. Unfortunately the evil twins have pretty much asphyxiated the other SPL teams over the years. If they ever escaped from the oppressive presence of the OF I think they'd do well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Nov. 14 2006,13:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Nov. 14 2006,13:08)]If I were Ron I'd get young Gary Hooper signed up on a longer term deal before going out to get someone else in!!
Very good point.
Agree with that as well. Still has a lot to learn, does young Gary, but certainly one for the future.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Nov. 14 2006,13:49)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Nov. 14 2006,13:08)]If I were Ron I'd get young Gary Hooper signed up on a longer term deal before going out to get someone else in!!
Very good point.
Agree with that as well.  Still has a lot to learn, does young Gary, but certainly one for the future.
I was told that in an interview Spinner was saying that he thinks Hooper is a better prospect than Freddy...let's hope it's true and he fulfils it.

It's not always an accurate reflection of salary, but Football Manager 2007 has Riordan on 8k / week at Celtic. I think this is probably in the right ballpark, although he'd probably be willing to accept less to get first team football.

It would be an absolute coup if Southend or Norwich managed to land him for under a million.

I doubt he'd come, but I was surprised with Hammell so you never know.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Nov. 14 2006,17:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Nov. 14 2006,13:49)]
[b said:
[b said:
Very good point.
Agree with that as well.  Still has a lot to learn, does young Gary, but certainly one for the future.
I was told that in an interview Spinner was saying that he thinks Hooper is a better prospect than Freddy...let's hope it's true and he fulfils it.
Yeah he did on Sky Sports. and i also think that aswell he shows 100% work rate, and is starting to find the net, he gets into great positions and works the ball well. And his only 18!

unclesam.gif

Back