• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree entirely and I believe it's why we've always lost a number games at home. Even in promotion seasons we lost a fair few home games.

I have never been an an away ground where the fans get on the back of their own players as much as they do at Roots Hall.

It seems to be worse now though, possibly because a number of supporters cannot accept that Steve Tilson is no longer the manager. How anyone can cheer Blair Sturrock being substituted is beyond me. The fella is one of the hardest-working players we've ever had, and he has some ability too. But because he's the manager's son (and the manager isn't Steve Tilson) and not a huge goalscorer, he gets the bird. He has 4 goals this season, so is on course of 8. When you consider Bary Corr is on course for over 20, that doesn't mke such a bad return does it?

Matt Paterson comes on and shows far less ethusiasm and goal threat, yet doesn't get much stick? Because he's a Tilson signing I assume.

But when a Seagull comes on the pitch, everyone starts chanting. But they can't show that enthusiasm for the team. Pretty sad and pathetic to be honest.

I agree with a lot of that and I've said similar too in the past, but I actually thought Blair took the "f***ing useless" as humour and applauded TBV who responded. I didn't notice much booing from our bit of the West when he went off, seemed mainly to be emanating form the other stands.

sUPport the Blues!:loyalsupporter:

Correct and was also followed up by a dig about his hair, which was also taken in the right manner by Blair. So fair play to him for that.

I agree entirely and I believe it's why we've always lost a number games at home. Even in phttp://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1236223romotion seasons we lost a fair few home games.

I have never been an an away ground where the fans get on the back of their own players as much as they do at Roots Hall.

It seems to be worse now though, possibly because a number of supporters cannot accept that Steve Tilson is no longer the manager. How anyone can cheer Blair Sturrock being substituted is beyond me. The fella is one of the hardest-working players we've ever had, and he has some ability too. But because he's the manager's son (and the manager isn't Steve Tilson) and not a huge goalscorer, he gets the bird. He has 4 goals this season, so is on course of 8. When you consider Bary Corr is on course for over 20, that doesn't mke such a bad return does it?

Matt Paterson comes on and shows far less ethusiasm and goal threat, yet doesn't get much stick? Because he's a Tilson signing I assume.

But when a Seagull comes on the pitch, everyone starts chanting. But they can't show that enthusiasm for the team. Pretty sad and pathetic to be honest.

really i thought pato was excellent and more of a goal threat

Cheering Evans after the two goals went in after a catch is inexcusable. I don't think the goals were that bad he let in, they were awkward to deal with.

I'd have to disagree there, I wasn't one of those who sarcastically cheered his touches from then on but I have to say he was massively at fault for both goals today and he knows it. How often do we see goalkeepers stay out at half time for "catching practice?"

Cost us the game, I assume Morris will be back on Saturday.

IMatt Paterson comes on and shows far less ethusiasm and goal threat, yet doesn't get much stick? Because he's a Tilson signing I assume.

Whether Blair deserved to be cheered when subbed or not, I disagree that Paterson offered less a goal threat than Sturrock. For all Blair's qualities, being a threat in front of goal isn't one of them and when Paterson came on I thought he was an improvement on Sturrock today.

I fully applaud the right for ppl to boo, and jeer, how else can they express their dissatisfaction with the club?? from my free seat today, it was like witnessing non league football, both teams were simply awful, with passes astray possesion given away cheaply, and woeful players on display. yes the seagull was mom today, and i thought grant was going to try and kill it with the plastic chair, and then eat it with rice and peas

I think it is unfair to criticise the seagull who was quite entertaining and took up some good positions outside their penalty area.

Totally agree with this thread .NO PLAYER GOES ON THE PITCH WANTING TO PLAY BADLY AND GET DROPPED.ALL WE ASK IS THAT THEY GIVE 100% instead of abuse towards players during the game when something doesn't come off try shouting encourgement to them and the team throughout the game. Then moan and swear all you like at the end if we lose.I also suggest to all the idiots who seem to have it in for blair .s to just concentrate on his play and contribution to teams link/hold up play between attack and midfield ,we always play better when he his in the side(we know his finishing could be better).As for Evans again what do you idiots who cheered think they acheived apart making him even more likely to make another error!!!! (thought the 2nd took a terrible bobble) .
IF YOU WANT TO HELP THE OPPOSTION AND MAKE OUR PLAYERS MORE NERVOUS AND LIKELY TO PLAY BADLY, KEEP ACTING LIKE THE IDIOTS YOU WERE TODAY

Wasn't at the game tonight but that's just horrible, I hate to see or hear the fact that Sturrock shook his head after some fans chanted '****ing useless'. I mean comon lads seriously? Their representing Southend United the team we all support through thick and thin. It's not gonna attract any other plays to come to OUR club, don't boo any Southend player. Sturrock I thought has been decent this season, he's stepped up to league two and has done well. Holds the ball up good, and gets a few goals to. I know everyone has an opinion on this but it's just common sense DON'T ****ING BOO OR ABUSE YOUR OWN PLAYERS FOR **** SAKE

I agree that jeering our own players is harsh and counter productive but it goes on at every ground in the country. Roots Hall is no better or worse than any other place The jeering and booing is because most fans are completely frustrated with what has happened at the club in the past twelve months. We are struggling in the bottom half of the lowest divsion after being relegated, we also lost an extremely popular manager and coach. Do people really think that supporters at other clubs would be dancing with delight at the way things are if it happened at their club?, lets get real!! Quite frankly, Ron Martin has got away lightly given what has gone on, no chants of Martin out. I can think of many other clubs where fans would have given their chairman far more abuse than he gets.
I will always applaud the many fans who get behind the team through thick and thin but surely people can appreciate the frustration that is around our club?

I agree that jeering our own players is harsh and counter productive but it goes on at every ground in the country. Roots Hall is no better or worse than any other place The jeering and booing is because most fans are completely frustrated with what has happened at the club in the past twelve months. We are struggling in the bottom half of the lowest divsion after being relegated, we also lost an extremely popular manager and coach. Do people really think that supporters at other clubs would be dancing with delight at the way things are if it happened at their club?, lets get real!! Quite frankly, Ron Martin has got away lightly given what has gone on, no chants of Martin out. I can think of many other clubs where fans would have given their chairman far more abuse than he gets.
I will always applaud the many fans who get behind the team through thick and thin but surely people can appreciate the frustration that is around our club?

The most sensible post so far.

Despite the best thing about the game being the half time Kit Kat, I was shocked when Sturrock was booed. He really puts it in!

Agree with most on here, a few points...

1) Disapointed that there wasnt a bigger crowd today, after weeks and weeks without a game, i thought more would have came.
2) Blue Voice seemed quiet, only heard them a couple of times.
3) I dont think the atmosphere is Ron's fault, most people go to the game and want to be entertained and if the lads put in a good effort then people sing / dont slag off the players.

UTB

I did not boo or chant negative things for the 90 mins but for god sake we are shxt.

Two nil down after 3 mins, I think sturrock and martin are lucky the ground did not turn on them!!

As for Pat Evans when will she learn to play in goal!!!!

Roots Hall is no different to any other ground. Youll see it very weekend, managers saying 'the fans are entitled to boo'. There are clubs in much worse positions than us that get worse crowds- look at poor old Roy Hodgson. The chanting today was inexcusable but the fact is that was one of the worst games of football you will ever see, I dont know where the supposed good football was that has appeared since Widdrington left, was just the usual hoof ball today. If we cant break 5000 on a bank holiday then that says it all.

3) I dont think the atmosphere is Ron's fault, most people go to the game and want to be entertained

The entertainment factor has been missing for ages, hence the morgue-like atmosphere.

That is the fault of one man.

I sat in the South Stand Upper and I was disgusted with people clapping our keeper every time he caught the ball what good does that do to his confidence?Apart from1st ten minutes I thought he recovered well.
Blair Sturrock whatever you think of him he is in a Southend shirt playing for us ,please lets stop booing our own players this is the reason why I left another part of the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back