• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kent Shrimper

Mike Reid
Re Grimsby

Dear Andy

Grimsby Town has advised that the fans that came up to the touchline at the end of the game took the stewards somewhat by surprise and, in an ideal world, the stewards should have prevented this, but were overwhelmed by the sheer numbers.

The stadium manager, after consultation with senior stewards, took the view that there was no malicious intent on the part of the fans and, as play continued, did not consider it right to stop the game to clear the fans.

With hindsight, a different view may have been taken and, following the debrief, new guidelines have been put in place for end-of-season matches.

Patricia

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 10 2005,17:14)]Re Grimsby

the stewards should have prevented this, but were overwhelmed by the sheer numbers.
What a joke!

What stewards?? There were hardly any!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Grimsby Town has advised that the fans that came up to the touchline at the end of the game took the stewards somewhat by surprise
Yet this is tradition at most clubs that the last game of the season is a pitch invasion!
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The stadium manager, after consultation with senior stewards, took the view that there was no malicious intent on the part of the fans
Sure....
Thats why the wandered over starting to offer us out!
load of fishy bollox if you ask me!

Another cop-out by the football league, but did anyone really expect any more? When have they ever got off their arses and done something to prevent incidents like this? No doubt nothing will change next season, despite what they say
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 10 2005,17:56)]Another cop-out by the football league, but did anyone really expect any more? When have they ever got off their arses and done something to prevent incidents like this? No doubt nothing will change next season, despite what they say
mad.gif
Thats alright, we don't have to visit Grimsby next season
tounge.gif

Thank goodness for that! I've never seen such a depressing place in all my life. The town's pretty $%&* too!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ June 10 2005,17:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The stadium manager, after consultation with senior stewards, took the view that there was no malicious intent on the part of the fans
Sure....
us?? are you referring to your split personality scott  
wink.gif

the mouthy cahv wasn't so mouthy..
it may have been wired shut by now

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ June 10 2005,23:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ June 10 2005,17:46)]
[b said:
Sure....
us?? are you referring to your split personality scott
wink.gif

the mouthy cahv wasn't so mouthy..
it may have been wired shut by now
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 10 2005,18:05)]Thank goodness for that! I've never seen such a depressing place in all my life. The town's pretty $%&* too!
Maybe part of Tilly's motivation for the play offs was to remind the players that if we dont win we would have to go back to Grimsby the biggest toilet in England next season.

disgraceful reply! They say that the stewards did not think there would be any trouble. The reason is that everyone associated with the club, fans, stewards & police were quite happy to see the threats being made to us fans and it was only the good behaviour of our fans that stopped a full scale riot. We did not even react after the swansea result finally came in. I think we should be given credit for our behaviour.

The FL are a joke, just look at the way they bottled it with Liverpool in the Champions League. The rules were clear and its up to the FA to make a decision on who went through and they forced UEFA to deal with it.

I am still waiting for my reply from the FL but after reading that I wont bother

I've seen and heard of a few letters of complaint like this sent to the FA or League over the years for different things and it's the same 'say nothing' response every time I'm afraid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ipswich Blue @ June 11 2005,04:50)]disgraceful reply! They say that the stewards did not think there would be any trouble. The reason is that everyone associated with the club, fans, stewards & police were quite happy to see the threats being made to us fans and it was only the good behaviour of our fans that stopped a full scale riot. We did not even react after the swansea result finally came in. I think we should be given credit for our behaviour.

The FL are a joke, just look at the way they bottled it with Liverpool in the Champions League. The rules were clear and its up to the FA to make a decision on who went through and they forced UEFA to deal with it.

I am still waiting for my reply from the FL but after reading that I wont bother
Whilst your observation of disgraceful reply is not too far wide of the mark, in fairness to the Football League the Liverpool issue was nothing to do with them. Nobody bottled anything. The FA stuck to their rule that the top four went through (commendably) and UEFA provided a sensible compromise. What's wrong there for goodness sake? Some people just like moaning!!

If you are unhappy with the Football League, I believe Ron Martin is (was?) a representative on the management committee. Whether our promotion changes that if he was League 2 representative, I don't know.

All the stewards were at our end. I don't think i saw a single steward around the grimsby fans, just at our end.
mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ipswich Blue @ June 11 2005,04:50)]disgraceful reply! They say that the stewards did not think there would be any trouble. The reason is that everyone associated with the club, fans, stewards & police were quite happy to see the threats being made to us fans and it was only the good behaviour of our fans that stopped a full scale riot. We did not even react after the swansea result finally came in. I think we should be given credit for our behaviour.

The FL had nothing to do with Liverpool at all all they do is represent the 74 League clubs not the Premier League clubs.

It is the FA who would totally incompetent over that.

Both the FL and FA are a complete joke.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Csboy @ June 11 2005,15:30)]It is the FA who would totally incompetent over that.
Disregarding the nonsensical grammar, how exactly were the FA incompetent over the Liverpool affair?

They stuck to the rule that the top 4 would qualify. They supported Everton in 4th position and made it clear they were not going to change their rules "in flight".

How is this "totally incompetent" then?

The FA have many faults and do much wrong. Football governance is likely to undergo substantial change in the quite near future - but you're having a go about one of the things they got right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ipswich Blue @ June 11 2005,05:50)]The FL are a joke, just look at the way they bottled it with Liverpool in the Champions League.
Considering the Liverpool / Champions League issue would have had nothing to do with the Football League, it's no wonder they "bottled it".

Your argument is therefore about as watertight as a pair of fishnets tights.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Csboy @ June 11 2005,16:30)]The FL had nothing to do with Liverpool at all all they do is represent the 74 League clubs not the Premier League clubs.

It is the FA who would totally incompetent over that.
Really? I can't see how. I believe that when the English FA was awarded four spots in the Champions League competition, it was clear to EVERYONE that the TOP FOUR clubs would be competing in the following season's competition. Finishing fifth is not the TOP FOUR. I really don't care if they won the CL; they didn't finish in the TOP FOUR therefore they don't qualify.

As far as I'm concerned it should be the UEFA organisation who should be criticised by not accomodating holders in any of their "prestigious" competitions. I believe Greece will not be afforded an automatic entry into Euro 2008; will the Greek FA be expected to lobby UEFA after Liverpool were given a chance to enter the 2005/06 CL competition? I doubt it. But they would have every right to try. So what would happen if they were given a place at the expense of England? Would the Daily Mail / Sun (or whoever is claiming victory is this ludicrous campaign) run another "it's not fair" crusade?! Would that not be slightly hypocritical?

Back