• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm live and let live..... and despite hurtling towards my fifties, I can stand for a full 90 minutes :)

I was sat at the back. Well stood. My choice. Everyone behind me stood. I ended up sharing my seat with two young'uns. After a wee chat about blocking my view we all got along fine. They wanted to enjoy themselves and we all had a good day.

However, by co-incidence in front of me was a mate who was with his father in law (in his late 70s). He got clattered when Mooney scored the second as people came tumbling down the aisleway. Complete accident. When others realised he was in a bit of bother, they kept clear.

Thing is, whilst I was more than happy with my seat, the guys in front of me would never have chosen to sit at the back behind the goal for a game like this. I'm sure the young woman and her kid (who left to find seat elsewhere) would have preferred to sit somewhere else from the start. And I know the guy who was two to my right was mightily ****ed off as he was evicting people from his seat five minutes before kick off.

Point is, if seats were unallocated, you don't get issues with people getting upset or angry that their game is spoiled by the actions of others.

Oh my god, an essex derby on boxing day and people are moaning about someone kicking a chair and a old boy getting wobbled??. Get real you bunch of muppets was a great day and these things are always going to happen unfortunately in the heat of the moment.

Bazza,
You're barking up the wrong tree. 'An old boy getting wobbled' - are you for real? Do you have any idea how scary that is for older supporters? 'These things are always going to happen': what are these 'things'? Hillsborough? Heysel? Why do you think all-seaters were demanded in the first place?
The only bit you're right about is 'heat of the moment' hence the need for some safety measures. I don't mind standing at a game; I did it for the first 20 years I watched football; I don't mind sitting; but I object to someone else's thoughtlessness ruining it for me and others - that probably means you, I guess.

As somebody mentioned, this time tomorrow we shall have a thread complaining about our supporters again following the Millwall game, and the delusional comments of 'they shouldn't support my club'.

Sometimes I wonder if we will ever have a time when everyone at the club is happy... We could be promoted to the prem and there would be a thread complaining about people celebrating to much!!

As somebody mentioned, this time tomorrow we shall have a thread complaining about our supporters again following the Millwall game, and the delusional comments of 'they shouldn't support my club'.

Sometimes I wonder if we will ever have a time when everyone at the club is happy... We could be promoted to the prem and there would be a thread complaining about people celebrating to much!!

I sincerely hope you were sitting down when you typed this Lenny!!

Bazza,
You're barking up the wrong tree. 'An old boy getting wobbled' - are you for real? Do you have any idea how scary that is for older supporters? 'These things are always going to happen': what are these 'things'? Hillsborough? Heysel? Why do you think all-seaters were demanded in the first place?
The only bit you're right about is 'heat of the moment' hence the need for some safety measures. I don't mind standing at a game; I did it for the first 20 years I watched football; I don't mind sitting; but I object to someone else's thoughtlessness ruining it for me and others - that probably means you, I guess.

Completely agree. Went with my 75 year old dad yesterday and I'm not sure I would have taken too kindly to anyone "wobbling" him.

always a few who ruin it for the rest
shocking behaviour, standing should result in a 3 year ban
case closed
Why should people be banned for 3 years for standing if it's not in front of anyone that wants sit, what harm does it do? What a stupid comment, can't believe some 'fans' would want another fan banned for 3 years for simply standing up.

So blame the club for not designating a stand-up singing section, and advertise as such.....sympathies for the gent who got bowled over...................on the plus side .....we won :happy:

I can see both sides of the argument about sitting and standing. It tends to be the younger fans who want to stand and older ones who want (or must) sit. When the stand is not full it is not a problem as we can move about but when it is a full stand and allocated seating, this is when problems arise.

Perhaps in future when it is known that it is going to be a full away end (and lets be realistic, we generally know well in advance which games these will be), why doesn't the ticket office sell tickets in 2 categories. Rear seats in the stand and front seats in the stand. Rear for standing, front for sitting. Job done. Simple really and please don't tell me that they couldn't do this. A bit of pre planning is all that is required.

Personally, I now like to sit and watch the game as standing causes me to have backache besides, I have been there and done that and now as I am progressing in my years I need the comfort to sit however, I believe if people wish to stand they should be allowed to do but, not at the expense of their fellow supporters and often it is well known people who,prefer to stand either go to Block W for the home game or stand at the back at away games.
Yesterday we had a group of lads standing 3 rows from the front which in my view is just plain inconsiderate to their fellow supporters and if they wanted to stand it may have been better to have joined the others at the back who were standing without problems to their fellow supporters.
Since when did we all become so selfish to our own?

Perhaps in future when it is known that it is going to be a full away end (and lets be realistic, we generally know well in advance which games these will be), why doesn't the ticket office sell tickets in 2 categories. Rear seats in the stand and front seats in the stand. Rear for standing, front for sitting. Job done. Simple really and please don't tell me that they couldn't do this. A bit of pre planning is all that is required.

It could be done, as I said earlier, but it has to have the away club's approval. Our ticket office sells according to their instructions.

Some on here will relate to this, my experience of a standing game scare-
I got tickets through Borough Combination draw for FA Cup final, Manure V Brighton Wembley circa 1983?
Anway it was great game, either 2-2 or 3-3 when draws went to replays (Villa Park and I didn't go).
Me and my mate were neutral by standers in the Manure standing pens and I'll stake my house on the attendance being at least 120 000. You, me, anyone couldn't move, no chance of getting to the loos etc and as the goals went in the surges were unstoppable and many people must have got injured BUT it was just part of how it was.
The views were terrible and violence was certainly there for those that wanted it (and many seemed to). No searching, lots of drunks etc.
Some tremendous moments overshadowed by being sober and intelligent enough to know the dangers. NOT a place for children, family, frail or timid: I was pleased to see old Wembley go and understand the concerns with large pen/kop standing areas.
Bring back standing paddocks etc, ok, but the numbers in them has got to be kept safe.
In short, the great days of huge standing stands maybe weren't so great if the young fans knew the half of it.

I can see both sides of the argument about sitting and standing. It tends to be the younger fans who want to stand and older ones who want (or must) sit. When the stand is not full it is not a problem as we can move about but when it is a full stand and allocated seating, this is when problems arise.

Good in theory, but I think they just sell a block at a time, and then seat by seat. I don't think you'll get the ticket office to split these

Whilst echolng most comments on here regarding the great atmosphere and support etc etc, I hope the bellend who decided to kick in the seat as his way of celebrating White's goal, is feeling good about himself tonight. Talk about singing about inbreds, we had a fair share sitting (or should I say standing) around us at the game. It certainly makes me appreciate the fans around me at Roots Hall who sit down during the game and stand up to stretch their legs at half-time; yesterday it was the other way round; people standing during the game for no obvious reason, and no thought or consideration given to those sitting behind who are unable to stand. Rant over.
I've not read through this whole thread as it's massive, but if this is about the broken seat in the East then I was stood a few places along and it didn't seem deliberate to me, there was just some mad celebrations and then afterwards the seat was broken. Not overly condoning it, just in that case it didn't seem malicious.

Some on here will relate to this, my experience of a standing game scare-
I got tickets through Borough Combination draw for FA Cup final, Manure V Brighton Wembley circa 1983?
Anway it was great game, either 2-2 or 3-3 when draws went to replays (Villa Park and I didn't go).
Me and my mate were neutral by standers in the Manure standing pens and I'll stake my house on the attendance being at least 120 000. You, me, anyone couldn't move, no chance of getting to the loos etc and as the goals went in the surges were unstoppable and many people must have got injured BUT it was just part of how it was.
The views were terrible and violence was certainly there for those that wanted it (and many seemed to). No searching, lots of drunks etc.
Some tremendous moments overshadowed by being sober and intelligent enough to know the dangers. NOT a place for children, family, frail or timid: I was pleased to see old Wembley go and understand the concerns with large pen/kop standing areas.
Bring back standing paddocks etc, ok, but the numbers in them has got to be kept safe.
In short, the great days of huge standing stands maybe weren't so great if the young fans knew the half of it.
There's a huge difference between the terraces of years gone by and standing in seated areas or in the proposed safe standing areas. Dortmund have 25,000 people standing in one stand without any safety issues so I'm sure it could be done in England. Another issue with the terraces of the past wasn't just the design but the fact that thousands could get into areas of the stadium they weren't meant to be in or even get in without tickets e.g Hillsbrough, modern day stadiums are policed far too well for this to ever happen again.

always a few who ruin it for the rest
shocking behaviour, standing should result in a 3 year ban
case closed

If you banned fans for standing, grounds would nearly empty based on current trends around the country,and Europe.

Re-open your case and research more, not all "standers" are responsible for the actions of a few.

Why should people be banned for 3 years for standing if it's not in front of anyone that wants sit, what harm does it do? What a stupid comment, can't believe some 'fans' would want another fan banned for 3 years for simply standing up.

Its simple its an all seater stadium therefore everyone should be seated,
you need to re evaluate if you think standing is acceptable. :net:

#standingupforthosesittingdown

Back