• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All seater stadia came in for a reason. Ibrox, Hillsborough, Heysel, none of those football disasters would have happened if people had been seated.

Standing at a big match used to be pretty unsafe actually, you only have to look at some of the bigger games on old TV footage and see the crowd swell behind the goal (Anfield was notorious) and just know that not everyone is going to be ok in that.

The consideration gene normally kicks in for most blokes when they start taking their own kids to games actually. Then they "get it".

Still, until then, every man for himself, eh?

Personally, I now like to sit and watch the game as standing causes me to have backache besides, I have been there and done that and now as I am progressing in my years I need the comfort to sit however, I believe if people wish to stand they should be allowed to do but, not at the expense of their fellow supporters and often it is well known people who,prefer to stand either go to Block W for the home game or stand at the back at away games.
Yesterday we had a group of lads standing 3 rows from the front which in my view is just plain inconsiderate to their fellow supporters and if they wanted to stand it may have been better to have joined the others at the back who were standing without problems to their fellow supporters.
Since when did we all become so selfish to our own?
The issue is that the stewards/club were very strict on allocated seating so you couldn't simply go to the back and stand. This of course doesn't mean it's acceptable to stand in front of someone sitting but the situation could have been dealt with to cater for the needs of those wanting to sit and those wanting to stand.

Please tell this thread is a bit off a joke. . It was the essex derby for goodness sake. .. everyone got excited when we scored. ... we are southend

All seater stadia came in for a reason. Ibrox, Hillsborough, Heysel, none of those football disasters would have happened if people had been seated.

Standing at a big match used to be pretty unsafe actually, you only have to look at some of the bigger games on old TV footage and see the crowd swell behind the goal (Anfield was notorious) and just know that not everyone is going to be ok in that.

The consideration gene normally kicks in for most blokes when they start taking their own kids to games actually. Then they "get it".

Why is the biggest single tiered stand in Europe standing only if it's so unsafe then? And why have there been no deaths, injuries or any issues at all?

Poor design of the old terraces, thousands entering without tickets (would never happen in modern football) leading to overcrowding and poor policing were to blame for Hillsbrough, not simply the fact that people were standing and not sitting.

Modern safe standing options offer none of the risks of the old terraces.

Edit: None of these disasters would have happened if mob mentality hadn't kicked in.

Also I have been taking both my sons to home and away games for many years ( now aged 23 & 16 ) and they have always wanted to stand with their 50 something old man, and I have always considered their safety, and never felt they were in any danger.

Why is the biggest single tiered stand in Europe standing only if it's so unsafe then? And why have there been no deaths, injuries or any issues at all?

Poor design of the old terraces, thousands entering without tickets (would never happen in modern football) leading to overcrowding and poor policing were to blame for Hillsbrough, not simply the fact that people were standing and not sitting.

Modern safe standing options offer none of the risks of the old terraces.

You miss my point; I was stating why it came in, not what it is now.

Edit: None of these disasters would have happened if mob mentality hadn't kicked in.

Also I have been taking both my sons to home and away games for many years ( now aged 23 & 16 ) and they have always wanted to stand with their 50 something old man, and I have always considered their safety, and never felt they were in any danger.

You miss my point too. You consider their safety and I'll bet you also would consider who they were standing in front of.

This is something rarely considered by many younger fans who only think of themselves and who don't generally think of their surroundings until something they care about - i.e. their child - becomes part of it. Then they are aware of the kids safety and the rest of the consideration kicks in, maybe because someone has stood in front of his kids and they can't see.

You miss my point too. You consider their safety and I'll bet you also would consider who they were standing in front of.

This is something rarely considered by many younger fans who only think of themselves and who don't generally think of their surroundings until something they care about - i.e. their child - becomes part of it. Then they are aware of the kids safety and the rest of the consideration kicks in, maybe because someone has stood in front of his kids and they can't see.

Point taken, and you are right, they would never deliberately obscure someone's view.

They only stand where others are already standing, as do many, yesterday was a calamity, and fellow supporters should not have been inconvenienced, this could though have been avoided.

This is something rarely considered by many younger fans who only think of themselves and who don't generally think of their surroundings until something they care about - i.e. their child - becomes part of it. Then they are aware of the kids safety andthe rest of the consideration kicks in, maybe because someone has stood in front of his kids and they can't see.

I wish i could believe you. but in my opinion these people (and im not referring to B's n t's) still don't consider who they were standing in front all those years ago. again its only about number1 the only reason theyre bothered is cos now their little darling cant see the pitch. only then when its personal to them do they want change.

Unless the standing area is full and the people in the seated area want to stand "Because they're doing it over there".

Then you can't do it for that one game and you buy your ticket earlier for the next game you want to go to. This isn't rocket science.

Crushes happen where no thought goes into the management of crowds. We got away with it in UK until disaster struck in late 80s but was always likely to happen. Safe standing now is much better option given what we know about reducing risk and managing crowds.

I went end to all seater stadium in Chisinau to watch Moldova v England. Safe? Only when we got in to the ground. Funnelled all supporters through one small gate close to kick off. The crush was terrible and terrifying.

H

Whilst Hillsborough was helped by the fact it was all standing , the cause of this disaster was very poor management of the game by all involved, both the FA and also the police .

Heysel happened due to both fans behaviour and actually UEFA's decision to pick a crumbling old stadium.

Ibrox I don't know enough about to comment about, however to balance it, wasn't the Bradford disaster in their seating stand ? Now of course this disaster would have occurred had it been seating or standing however it's an event that still occurred in a seating stand . My point being that people standing at football in terms of matches is still dominated by games where you could stand . Consider the old swaying Kop in the heyday, no crush there was there ? Granted football needed the Taylor report , especially after Heysel and Hillsborough, more from gaining public confidence back in the game, but personally I feel football in the UK can revert to a mixture of standing and seating .

Now , the Col U game and people standing , sorry but this happens at EVERY away end, regardless of a sell out or not. I was in the away end at Old Trafford with Liverpool fans and that was virtually all standing for the whole game. I'm not condoning some of the things said on here, but you have to expect a lot of standing at away games and not just if you're a Southend fan, so please let's not make this a finger pointing exercise at Southend fans only !

Please TTS you sound like a Scouser. I fed up with them trying to avoid their responsibility for both events. Anyone who went to football including England in the Eighties Knows exactly what they were like

There's a huge difference between the terraces of years gone by and standing in seated areas or in the proposed safe standing areas. Dortmund have 25,000 people standing in one stand without any safety issues so I'm sure it could be done in England. Another issue with the terraces of the past wasn't just the design but the fact that thousands could get into areas of the stadium they weren't meant to be in or even get in without tickets e.g Hillsbrough, modern day stadiums are policed far too well for this to ever happen again.

Modern day ships are to well built to sink......Said the owner of the Titanic.

9 pages on seating or standing. Think this has been done to death now. Have a sit down and rest

Please TTS you sound like a Scouser. I fed up with them trying to avoid their responsibility for both events. Anyone who went to football including England in the Eighties Knows exactly what they were like

To be fair I said that fans were to blame at Heysel , however you read any report, that ground shouldn't have been used.

And Hillsborough, yes fans played their part, but again, which is why the case is reopened is due to poor organising and poor policing ! I'm not saying either happened purely without the involvement of fans, but then again, you have to consider all that is available to ascertain if football stadia and policing today should allow standing and the answer is yes.

Sadly for me aged 71 my seat ?? was in the row that these young football supporters were standing in, I managed to sit whilst they all stood some in front of people who wanted to sit, THEY COULD NOT CARE A DAMP. But that young people to day, when whit scored I was pushed nearly over the people sitting in front of me, not ONE of these morons helped be get up, Some one on hear suggested old people should move down the front I could not see any spare seats available, I went to the match to enjoy the game, not get idiots standing in front of me in the same space as my seat. Sorry the stewards so called where from Southend and these morons wouldn't take any notice, I'm a blues supporter for over 60 years and these young people should think about though's around them.

Back