• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

H

Whilst Hillsborough was helped by the fact it was all standing , the cause of this disaster was very poor management of the game by all involved, both the FA and also the police .

Heysel happened due to both fans behaviour and actually UEFA's decision to pick a crumbling old stadium.

Ibrox I don't know enough about to comment about, however to balance it, wasn't the Bradford disaster in their seating stand ? Now of course this disaster would have occurred had it been seating or standing however it's an event that still occurred in a seating stand . My point being that people standing at football in terms of matches is still dominated by games where you could stand . Consider the old swaying Kop in the heyday, no crush there was there ? Granted football needed the Taylor report , especially after Heysel and Hillsborough, more from gaining public confidence back in the game, but personally I feel football in the UK can revert to a mixture of standing and seating .

Now , the Col U game and people standing , sorry but this happens at EVERY away end, regardless of a sell out or not. I was in the away end at Old Trafford with Liverpool fans and that was virtually all standing for the whole game. I'm not condoning some of the things said on here, but you have to expect a lot of standing at away games and not just if you're a Southend fan, so please let's not make this a finger pointing exercise at Southend fans only !

I wasn't looking to say what caused the said disasters, I merely stated they wouldn't have happened in all seater stadiums because there wouldn't have been the huge volume of people in one space. That's the reason I didn't mention Bradford; it was a fire. Nothing to do with standing or seating.

Well said .Nobody now cares when I'm eating my prawn sandwich and sipping my champers in my executive box about the plebbie oiks......Anyway back in the 70s never had any trouble supping my light n bitter and throwing the toilet rolls,whilst doing knees up Mother Brown in the North Bank,and nobody around me ever complained!:winking:=Supershrimper;1817164]9 pages on seating or standing. Think this has been done to death now. Have a sit down and rest[/QUOTE]

I wasn't looking to say what caused the said disasters, I merely stated they wouldn't have happened in all seater stadiums because there wouldn't have been the huge volume of people in one space. That's the reason I didn't mention Bradford; it was a fire. Nothing to do with standing or seating.

This is not a dig at you but you could argue that the fire would never have happened if that stand had been concrete terracing. There has been loads of stadium disasters around the world, not just football. Each of them different in some way. It is also totally naïve to think if can never happen again.

Has it ever stopped me going to football of course not. The stadiums were dangerous, in a charming sort of way back in the Eighties. However it was far more dangerous in the street after the game. If like me you survived going to places like Millwall Cardiff, Portsmouth and Sheffield. Then todays 'Boys' who will tell a sixty year old woman to F*** off but then bleat about lack of policing when they get chased up the road by Millwall are just an embarrassment.

After beating our local rivals, the last thing we want to do is moan, but the lack of respect shown by these fans is ruining the experience for many supporters. We need all the support (and income) we can get at the moment, so why put people off coming ? Because it was a sell-out (with a few daytrippers) it happened to be allocated seated on this occasion. It's just selfishness on their part thinking they can do what they want all the time.

Even I as a confirmed short a*se on the wrong side of 60 I prefer standing on a terrace to sitting in a seat, but I feel in all seater grounds everyone should sit on their seats and not jump up just as the players enter the oppositions penalty box and destroy the view of others around them or stand all the game. Standing up to celebrate a goal is fine but once the players go back to kick off everyone should sit down, stadiums like ours are designed so no matter where you sit the view is excellent, whats the point if some moron stands up in front of you. If people feel the need to damage seats they should be arrested fined and made to pay for the damage, likewise if people feel the need to leave their seats and run down the gangways hurting people as they run riot should be evicted immediately.

This is not a dig at you but you could argue that the fire would never have happened if that stand had been concrete terracing. There has been loads of stadium disasters around the world, not just football. Each of them different in some way. It is also totally naïve to think if can never happen again.

Has it ever stopped me going to football of course not. The stadiums were dangerous, in a charming sort of way back in the Eighties. However it was far more dangerous in the street after the game. If like me you survived going to places like Millwall Cardiff, Portsmouth and Sheffield. Then todays 'Boys' who will tell a sixty year old woman to F*** off but then bleat about lack of policing when they get chased up the road by Millwall are just an embarrassment.

Can you imagine how they would moan if they were herded by police with sticks out and dogs snarling straight to and from a caged section for the games AND any argument was a nicking. OH yes those were great times.
I have a mate who went to Sheffield to see Arsenal and nearly lost his life with a back stab to his spleen as he walked to the ground - just a 30+ average, quiet, bloke and no hooligan. Glory days, happy days of football?- sometimes but very often NOT.

Back