• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stuart W

A word to the wise is enough
Whilst echolng most comments on here regarding the great atmosphere and support etc etc, I hope the bellend who decided to kick in the seat as his way of celebrating White's goal, is feeling good about himself tonight. Talk about singing about inbreds, we had a fair share sitting (or should I say standing) around us at the game. It certainly makes me appreciate the fans around me at Roots Hall who sit down during the game and stand up to stretch their legs at half-time; yesterday it was the other way round; people standing during the game for no obvious reason, and no thought or consideration given to those sitting behind who are unable to stand. Rant over.

Whilst echolng most comments on here regarding the great atmosphere and support etc etc, I hope the bellend who decided to kick in the seat as his way of celebrating White's goal, is feeling good about himself tonight. Talk about singing about inbreds, we had a fair share sitting (or should I say standing) around us at the game. It certainly makes me appreciate the fans around me at Roots Hall who sit down during the game and stand up to stretch their legs at half-time; yesterday it was the other way round; people standing during the game for no obvious reason, and no thought or consideration given to those sitting behind who are unable to stand. Rant over.

Seems to me that a safe standing section would solve this problem.

[h=1]¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/h]

Whilst I agree totally about the vandalism aspect of your post, I have to take issue with you regarding the standing for no apparent reason bit.
Historically football for the working class was always a standing sport, seats were a luxury, I, in my 40 years plus of supporting Southend, have always stood, I always look on away games for the "standing support" and for home games head to the West stand, that is my choice.
The problem with yesterday, a problem I predicted to CUFC via an email weeks ago, was the policy of allocated seating. Before anyone shoots me down, if the ticket sales were handled properly, as per Wembley, blocks should have been sold "selectively" therefore the regular sitters and standees would have been separated, there was always going to be a congregation of standers, whether you like it or not some just prefer to stand, it is never an intention to block someone's view.
Yesterday could have been handled better, but don't blame the standers. Rant over.

Whilst I agree totally about the vandalism aspect of your post, I have to take issue with you regarding the standing for no apparent reason bit.
Historically football for the working class was always a standing sport, seats were a luxury, I, in my 40 years plus of supporting Southend, have always stood, I always look on away games for the "standing support" and for home games head to the West stand, that is my choice.
The problem with yesterday, a problem I predicted to CUFC via an email weeks ago, was the policy of allocated seating. Before anyone shoots me down, if the ticket sales were handled properly, as per Wembley, blocks should have been sold "selectively" therefore the regular sitters and standees would have been separated, there was always going to be a congregation of standers, whether you like it or not some just prefer to stand, it is never an intention to block someone's view.
Yesterday could have been handled better, but don't blame the standers. Rant over.
As A supporter with an elderly father who can't stand , surely until you are in a a designated are you should sit??? Not everybody can stand ...

As A supporter with an elderly father who can't stand , surely until you are in a a designated are you should sit??? Not everybody can stand ...

I agree, one day I will be in the same situation as you father, then I will always head to the seated section. As I have said previously, yesterday was handled poorly by CUFC and the allocation of ticket sales.
Had I been in front of your Father, or anyone else yesterday I would have tried to move or sat down, I would not wish to spoil anyone's day out.

I agree, one day I will be in the same situation as you father, then I will always head to the seated section. As I have said previously, yesterday was handled poorly by CUFC and the allocation of ticket sales.
Had I been in front of your Father, or anyone else yesterday I would have tried to move or sat down, I would not wish to spoil anyone's day out.
That's right, blame the authorities. It was NOT handled badly. People need to take responsibility for their actions. Tell me, when you go to the cinema or theatre, do you feel the need to stand there to make it more atmospheric for you? Until standing areas get reinstated at grounds then play by the rules.

That's right, blame the authorities. It was NOT handled badly. People need to take responsibility for their actions. Tell me, when you go to the cinema or theatre, do you feel the need to stand there to make it more atmospheric for you? Until standing areas get reinstated at grounds then play by the rules.

Oh please.. Comparing a football match with a cinema or theatre experience...are you for real?

I am sorry your day was not as pleasant as it should have been, but banning standing at football matches ain't going to happen, people stand at matches all round the country week in week out, and if it's handled properly by the "authorities" there are no problems.

Oh please.. Comparing a football match with a cinema or theatre experience...are you for real?

I am sorry your day was not as pleasant as it should have been, but banning standing at football matches ain't going to happen, people stand at matches all round the country week in week out, and if it's handled properly by the "authorities" there are no problems.

Spot on. Working class sport. Sit down the front stand near the back and don't ever compare this beautiful game to some trip to the theatre FFS.

Imagine the atmosphere at a football match without a drum/people standing? Yes your dad was unfortunately inconvenienced but if it was that bad you could have moved to empty seats towards the front?

I travel to the majority of away games and always stand, that's not going to change because every man and his dog manage to get tickets to Colchester!

It should be pointed out that cufc handed over the tickets to sufc to sell. The way they were sold and when was down to sufc.

Imagine the atmosphere at a football match without a drum/people standing? Yes your dad was unfortunately inconvenienced but if it was that bad you could have moved to empty seats towards the front?

I travel to the majority of away games and always stand, that's not going to change because every man and his dog manage to get tickets to Colchester!
Bully for you mate. I recognise what you are insinuating, and sorry to disappoint you. I have seen Southend at 134 grounds since the late sixties, and have stood when standing has been available, and sat when it has not. I guess that some people just believe that rules are there to be broken.

Spare the thought for the old boy who got knocked over whilst white scored our first goal. People steaming down the front knocked him off balance when getting pushed and shoved and he fell on his face. You have seen the St.johns ambulance assisting him. I saw the little **** that ran into him and he didn't even have the balls to say sorry, instead I picked him up off his face.

And that's why as a 75 year old, who has supported SUFC since I was 7, now seldom go to away matches. Younger "supporters" consider me as an "every man and his dog" and just don't care if I can stand (which I can't) or see the match.

Rant over

Spot on. Working class sport. Sit down the front stand near the back and don't ever compare this beautiful game to some trip to the theatre FFS.

I don't know what time warp you live in Bkdside, but to suggest that football, even at Southend, is a working class sport is a truth from long ago but not now. There are all shades of society that watch football, especially Southend.

There are a few points from this thread about slightly different issues.
1. Standing on terraces IS preferred by many, standing in front of, obstructing the view of less able/smaller is rude, dumb and wrong; especially in designated seating, full seated areas.
2.Football has changed over the years as has it's base core of support, for MANY it is a family day out , and no longer the domain of working class men smoking woodbines, wearing caps etc as it might have been 60 years ago.
3. Things changes, thankfully lots about football fans has improved from the bad days of hooliganism, casual violence, endemic racism and homophobia, AND maybe with further improvements we will get safe standing areas back BUT that won't happen quickly while the potential for trouble remains and is all too obvious.

In the future, if we play Col Ewes away again next time, I like to think Season Tickets holder/non-season should only purchase 2 tickets each person, so we don't get into the situation where there are empty seat dotted in the away end, they could have good reason why they can't make it. Yesterday, with my mates & I sat in West Stand in W2, while looking at the empty seat in frustration as I rather be over there & join the sing song & to celebrate our goals. One guy on Southend Utd forum (created by Chris Phillip) named Aaron Cross was touting 4 tickets for away end for £180 then push up to £250 3 hours before kick off, make me wonder where the f*** he got all 4 tickets from and is a disgrace. Anyway I had to be quiet like most of Southend fans sitting with :COL U: fans and I only can :whistling: when White & Mooney score!

I can't see how you can blame the clubs for the standing issue. I'm not sure they're allowed to adopt standing areas in an all seater stadium (saying that, how do we get away with Block W at RH and even the standing area we had at Wembley ?). I always stand in W Block at home and if possible stand at the back of the stand at away matches, but we were near the front yesterday with young kids behind us so only stood up for the occasional song and when we scored. I think the cinema is a good comparison. Surely, it's about having respect for others around you ?

At Col U yesterday I would have sat down or moved if I was obstructing a fellow supporters view, that is a given, but fans around the country stand week in week out in every league, it's all about personal preference, and clubs accept that whether it breaks the rules or not.
We are never all going to agree on this, but respect of your fellow supporter should always be a two way thing.

Seems to me that a safe standing section would solve this problem.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Or a safe sitting area?

Have felt for a long, long time that clubs should provide a section of tickets for allocated seated away grounds where those of us who do not want trouble, do not want loutish behaviour around us and generally just want to sit with our family members - in my case, those whose mobility is not great - and simply enjoy watching the football.

Back