• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scooby69

I really do feel for the Coventry fans on an eve of another league campaign they find out they will start on -10 points.

Always have fond memories of Coventry beating the Spuds to win the FA cup and of Highfield Road their ground for so many years. Its sad too see these famous old clubs falling from grace.

It was good to hear a football league Representative comments tonight saying they were doing everything they could do to keep Coventry City going and to get them playing back in the city by next season fingers crossed that happens and hope my beloved BLUES don't go the same way.

GOOD LUCK TO MR BROWN AND ALL THE PLAYING STAFF FOR THE COMING SEASON UTB!!

Top clubs get richer, all the rest are suffering for chasing the dream and trying to better themselves

Exactly £105 million for Bale!!! What the hell has football come to.

Premier league rakes in all the dosh and leaves so little for the others. Is it no surprise that we and so many other clubs struggle to survive, the premier league does not give a toss about any club outside the elite league. Just sheer greed ! :sad:

Ultimately football is now a business - the once fine traditions have now eroded into the history books. Clubs like Coventry have unfortunately taken too greater risk in chasing the Premier League dream being ransacked by careless owners who have been licensed to do pretty much whatever they like by the football authorities who in all honesty have let every fan in the country down. This of course has resulted in Coventry finding themselves in their current state - a complete shambles of ownership compounded by a murky dealings between the Administrator and the previous/current regime (Otium Entertainment Group).

Of course it's the fans who suffer however that being said no team has a divine right to play in the PL, Championship or any other division in the football pyramid! I do feel particularly sorry though for Coventry as they have received no protection from the Football League, The FA or indeed any impartiality from the Administrator. After the Portsmouth debacle you would have been mistaken for thinking that the authorities had taken some significant steps forward in football club ownership with a rigorous 'fit and proper persons test' - needless to say that it is fundamentally flawed! Once again football is business and with that legal challenges and threats ultimately supersede any ownership testing and rules, leaving the FL and FA in no position to question any ownership or ownership model.

So in many respects we should not be surprised with our current predicament - I mean who is there to govern the running of the club other than those with interest in the business such as HMRC and other creditors? With any luck financial fair-play will stabilise the finances of lower league clubs however in all likelihood it will be too late for some.

Their problems seemed to multiply when they moved to he Ricoh. Silly thing was Highfield Road was a decent ground anyway. Another example of a new stadium not being the answer to everything..

Top clubs get richer, all the rest are suffering for chasing the dream and trying to better themselves

Sorry Silencer - but what does "chasing the dream" and "trying to better themselves" mean? :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: I think you have been watching too much X factor meets some North American teenager "reality" T.V. programme.

When I'm in control of the country I will ban all that sort of "bollocks" straight away.

On the other hand, I do have some sympathy with the Coventry fans.

There are some huge issues across football; Wether it is the World, Europe, National, Premadonnaship, Chumps, League, non League and Amateur with all parties looking to their own short term interests AND in most cases to the profit.
For sure supporting Cov at the moment (and last few yrs) will not be easy and possibly the most challenging environment for them to foster any progress BUT is it any harder than for Acc Stanley or Torquay?
IMO unless there is a big change, maybe a Royal Commission? then British football will continue to free-fall down FIFA rankings: at the same time as the "top" clubs get more powerful/richer and end up playing with 8 non UK players out of 11 on the field.
Be proud that you support your home town team; & finally (for this rant) that is partly why I wanted us to sign local lad Josh Rees and Benson.

There are some huge issues across football; Wether it is the World, Europe, National, Premadonnaship, Chumps, League, non League and Amateur with all parties looking to their own short term interests AND in most cases to the profit.
For sure supporting Cov at the moment (and last few yrs) will not be easy and possibly the most challenging environment for them to foster any progress BUT is it any harder than for Acc Stanley or Torquay?
IMO unless there is a big change, maybe a Royal Commission? then British football will continue to free-fall down FIFA rankings: at the same time as the "top" clubs get more powerful/richer and end up playing with 8 non UK players out of 11 on the field.
Be proud that you support your home town team; & finally (for this rant) that is partly why I wanted us to sign local lad Josh Rees and Benson.

Good comments - I think I will nick your "premadonnaship" for future use.

And I agree - visiting Accrington Stanley can be quite sobering. Given their resources, they would certainly be in a short list of candidates for clubs who have/are achieving great things.

So there we have it in black n white . Ron martin maybe a risk to the club .But take a long hard look around . Clubs like Plymouth Portsmouth Coventry .Like us they are all in some sort of trouble .But at least we can still hold our heads high and say we have as yet taken the 10 point penalty .Even thought we have filled the high court more times than most the club still battle on .UTB long may it last .:thumbsup:

Horrible situation for them, from what I read there had been some dodgy stuff in the background too? Meanwhile, the supporters are in that awful limbo of really not having a clue what the season will bring.

I quite enjoy the big clubs having a few seasons in the depths of the football leagues. Does em good. Only shame is it doesn't happen to arsenal man u. Etc

I quite enjoy the big clubs having a few seasons in the depths of the football leagues. Does em good. Only shame is it doesn't happen to arsenal man u. Etc
I agree with you; don't think it will ever happen to either Mancs, L'pool, Chelsea or any team that makes Europe places these day: too much disparity in income (and buying power) for them to go down (or stay down). The only possible BIG time Charles to drop maybe N'Cstle or Black Cats.

I agree with you; don't think it will ever happen to either Mancs, L'pool, Chelsea or any team that makes Europe places these day: too much disparity in income (and buying power) for them to go down (or stay down). The only possible BIG time Charles to drop maybe N'Cstle or Black Cats.

As recently as 1998-9 Manchester City were in League 1 (third tier) and a proportion of their core support still remembers that, hence gestures like 300 turning up at Roots Hall for Goater's Goodbye.

I was living in Coventry until recently, not sure exactly what's gone on there but I know there's a lot of politics involved. I hope they get it sorted and at least stay at the Ricoh, a big city like that should have a football team, even if it is a dump and the stadium is far too big for them. Don't forget our Franck Moussa is there too. Sad to see another once great club ruined by the fat cats that control football, whilst Real Madrid bid £100m for a player and Man City win the 'Barclays Trophy' in Hong Kong. Football's lost its soul.

Their problems seemed to multiply when they moved to he Ricoh. Silly thing was Highfield Road was a decent ground anyway. Another example of a new stadium not being the answer to everything..

Their problems started before the stadium was built, they even had to scale it down and then the company that owned it decided to charge a crazy amount of rent on the place.

Or an example of a certain F Eastwood not being worth the money?:omg::sad::'(

Very good point. Highfield Road was a nice ground. The money invested in the new ground could of kept them in the Prem if invested in players

Back