• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Toy Train in Space

Thats very cool!

When/if I have a child then thats defo something I would love to do!

I think this kind of exercise is best carried out in sparsely populated areas like where the video was set. He's obviously somewhere in mid-US and knew that there was a high probability of retrieving the toy. If you were to set it off in Southend, there would probably be a high chance it would land in the North Sea as the jet stream would probably carry it in that direction.....Even if it did head West, it would most likely end up in Dagenham or London or around there and land on top of an office block or kill some poor commuter.....It could end up on private property where you could be unable to retrieve (like a train line)

A pretty pessimistic tone I agree, but if you wanted to do it, you'd definitely want to consider where you let it off....

I think this kind of exercise is best carried out in sparsely populated areas like where the video was set. He's obviously somewhere in mid-US and knew that there was a high probability of retrieving the toy. If you were to set it off in Southend, there would probably be a high chance it would land in the North Sea as the jet stream would probably carry it in that direction.....Even if it did head West, it would most likely end up in Dagenham or London or around there and land on top of an office block or kill some poor commuter.....It could end up on private property where you could be unable to retrieve (like a train line)

A pretty pessimistic tone I agree, but if you wanted to do it, you'd definitely want to consider where you let it off....

Yeah my thoughts... but if made of the right materials and using a parachute it in theory should be ok!

I would think mid suffolk would be the best area around here on a day with low winds.

The write up from the video...

On Aug 24th 2012 we sent my son's favorite train "Stanley" to space in a weather balloon with a HD camera and an old cell phone for GPS. He was recovered 27 miles away in a corn field and we got some great footage of the trip. This video documents the journey from liftoff to landing.
PLEASE read below, it answers most questions I get emailed.

My 4 year old and Stanley are inseparable like Calvin and Hobbes. He's been attached to him since he was two, and they play, sleep and do everything together. I animated Stanley's face with After Effects and Photoshop to bring him to life how I imagine my son sees him.

Here's the first video I made of my son and Stanley when he was 2 years old, documenting the beginning of their friendship. I shot it over 5 months: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_1lnkUPUkI

To contact me:
My Twitter: @RonFugelseth

Facebook page for more info: https://www.facebook.com/AToyTrainInSpace
(no trolls, please)

My day job (for business only please):
http://www.oxygenproductions.com
Digital Agency

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------*------------------------
Common question: How far up is the stratosphere? It's situated between about 10 km (6 mi) and 50 km (30 mi) altitude above the surface (according to Wikipedia)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------*------------------------

Quick note on safety
I'm getting so many comments regarding safety that I think I should write a quick note to let everyone know of the precautions I took before launching Stanley into the sky.

First off, I called the FAA 15 minutes before launch (per their instructions) so they could make sure no planes fly into the flight path. I read and followed all their rules for weather balloon launches. It had a homemade radar reflector, and a 3 foot parachute.

Second, the box was only 2 pounds and made of foam core, with a wooden dowel to hold Stanley in front of the camera. I spent two months monitoring the winds with this website http://weather.uwyo.edu/polar/balloon_traj.html to pinpoint the general area that he would land. For safely, I launched him from a location that I knew would bring him down into farm land. The prediction website was only 5-10 miles off, so he landed safely in a corn field, far away from any towns.

I didn't want Stanley to be a murderer. Plus I wanted to make sure my son got Stanley back. :)

Interesting comment!

You are lucky you found that train before I did. It would be 27 miles up my *** if I had my way.
ekkyz 10 minutes ago

Back