• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Walk Down Memory Lane

Andy Collins works at Essex Web Offset at Shoebury, saw him just before Christmas.
Saw Steve Scarrott 2 weeks ago sorting out a new shop sign near Thames Drive.
6 of us old 'Leigh Commites' are going to Wembley together for our final (would have been 7 if H was still with us).
Am certain Phil Cornwell was in a couple of episodes of 'Great night out', recently viewed on ITV
Brought my first used pair of Dr. Martens off Terry Da Costa in 1971!. Hav'nt seen him for decades!

Just an aside, Phil Cornwell lives in Dawlish Drive opposite my sister's house. He's a "really nice bloke" says the old girl..

Mike Ronald. That's the fella. Got talking at Silverstone about the Carlton and the past in general and he regaled me about his alcoholic years and what it cost him. Really nice fella as I remember him but boy could he talk the hind legs off a donkey :winking: Amazing how the names click as soon as someone say's it :smile:

Mike Ronald. That's the fella. Got talking at Silverstone about the Carlton and the past in general and he regaled me about his alcoholic years and what it cost him. Really nice fella as I remember him but boy could he talk the hind legs off a donkey :winking: Amazing how the names click as soon as someone say's it :smile:

I think the Zone is ready. And where the f*** is Osy these days?

In the 80s as a boy walking down Southend High Street with my mum I would always recognise the same two or three mad tramps walking up and down. It seemed like a couple of them were permanent fixtures for decades, wandering around, swearing loudly for no reason before popping into Southend library to scare old people. Here they would fall asleep while pretending to read a book on Astro Physics...and how silently they slept as the smell of stale booze, **** and **** drifted around them, distressed librarians watching helplessly.

What happened to those halcyon days? The last time I was back in Southend it was full of Eastern Europeans in cheap tracksuits, who apparently neither **** nor **** themselves - and they call that progress? Bring back our tramps Cameron, we could do with the characters.

Popeye - Southend's famous tramp for years and years. You could see him every day down the High Street, clay pipe in mouth, disheveled white beard and a can of Special Brew in hand. He was quite a character and one of the nicest most cheerful guys you could ever wish to meet. My dear old Mum used to stop and chat to him for ages when I was a nipper and as I grew into my teens I came to realize just how liked he was by the people of Southend.

In the 80s as a boy walking down Southend High Street with my mum I would always recognise the same two or three mad tramps walking up and down. It seemed like a couple of them were permanent fixtures for decades, wandering around, swearing loudly for no reason before popping into Southend library to scare old people. Here they would fall asleep while pretending to read a book on Astro Physics...and how silently they slept as the smell of stale booze, **** and **** drifted around them, distressed librarians watching helplessly.

What happened to those halcyon days? The last time I was back in Southend it was full of Eastern Europeans in cheap tracksuits, who apparently neither **** nor **** themselves - and they call that progress? Bring back our tramps Cameron, we could do with the characters.

Lol, I think those tramps used to pop into the banks in the High Street too, have a quick rant, walk all around the banking hall then go out again! I remember both a male and a female tramp doing that at least a couple of times every week!

I remember ****pot Harry from around the Southchurch area, used to see him walking to school. He had a funny walk kinda like something from the Ministry of Silly Walks, he would do a little hop every few steps.

Also after reading this where was Quills? I've never herd of it before!

I remember ****pot Harry from around the Southchurch area, used to see him walking to school. He had a funny walk kinda like something from the Ministry of Silly Walks, he would do a little hop every few steps.

I think it was next door to Papillon down the seafront, Rich.

It's the Black door to the right of Chinnerys. Nowadays it's used for all those bands that students like. You'll often see them queuing up in the summer.

Sounds neurological - maybe Huntington's, Huntington's-like Syndrome, or McLeod's syndrome, would explain the walk, and the alcohol.

Supporters of a certain age must go on this site ,put British Pathe News on google then put Southend On Sea on then click on Soccer Mart 1966 .There is a nice bit of training from the Boys of 66 and some nice views of the North Bank before it became all seats .

Back