• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Walk Down Memory Lane

Bielzibubz

President
The 'Origin of The Pak' thread got me a thinking about some of the places and names of my 15 to 21 year old days I haven't heard about in years.

1. Leigh Comm. Many a running battle with rival 'gangs of Southend' started from there.

2. Listening & laughing to Phil Cornwall's impromptu impressions in the Carlton pub before heading off on a pub crawl down the Old Town before ending up at The Grand via Candles Out pizza house.

3. The Ivy House on the seafront and the hole in the wall through to Quills, as it was known then.

A few names I've not heard of for yonks

Terry De Costa
Andy Collins
John Carlin (sisters ex boyfriend)
Brian Perry
The whole Scarrat family (Steve, Julie, Pauline and a younger brother I can't remember the name of.
Paul Bennett.

Anyone else remember any of these Leigh names from the late 70's & early 80's or others I might know. Getting old now and the memory isn't what it once was ;)

Peter Boat?

The Carlton - Peter Boat - The Smack - The Grand (if we made it that far) That was the drinking order most Friday and Saturday nights.

Remember a guy well but in the haze of time can't remember his name but cycled everywhere, ****ed or sober, Bad limp due to an accident. Still lives in Leigh if I recall. After 30 years bumped into him at a race meeting last year at Silverstone of all places.

I remember some ****ed up old bloke who used to sit on the wall by The Peter Boat singing and drinking homebrew.

Candles Out - best pizza I've ever had. Dropped one once when I was Adrian Quist and still picked it up and ate it.

Andy Collins works at Essex Web Offset at Shoebury, saw him just before Christmas.
Saw Steve Scarrott 2 weeks ago sorting out a new shop sign near Thames Drive.
6 of us old 'Leigh Commites' are going to Wembley together for our final (would have been 7 if H was still with us).
Am certain Phil Cornwell was in a couple of episodes of 'Great night out', recently viewed on ITV
Brought my first used pair of Dr. Martens off Terry Da Costa in 1971!. Hav'nt seen him for decades!

So many thinga and people i remember, the pleasure boats of Southend ,New Prince of Wales , My Queen,Skylark , Dreadnought, the Rock Factory in Pleasant Road, Rossi s ice cream Factory, had many a free ice cream from them,the flea pit ,thats the new vic cinema,the old fella who used to sing for coins off the beach front ,his favourite sonr was ITS ROLLING IN , ITS ROLLING IN , as he watch for the day trippers to throw in coins.and Shades night club where i met and eventually left to come to Australia the most beautiful girl.spent my last night in Southend with her ,we went to the pics and saw Frank Sinatra in a war movie.Yes i still remember her namme and often wonder what became of her,Elizabeth GERAGHTY,have many great memories of Southend, and still 47 years later get homesick.

The 'Origin of The Pak' thread got me a thinking about some of the places and names of my 15 to 21 year old days I haven't heard about in years.

1. Leigh Comm. Many a running battle with rival 'gangs of Southend' started from there.

2. Listening & laughing to Phil Cornwall's impromptu impressions in the Carlton pub before heading off on a pub crawl down the Old Town before ending up at The Grand via Candles Out pizza house.

3. The Ivy House on the seafront and the hole in the wall through to Quills, as it was known then.

A few names I've not heard of for yonks

Terry De Costa
Andy Collins
John Carlin (sisters ex boyfriend)
Brian Perry
The whole Scarrat family (Steve, Julie, Pauline and a younger brother I can't remember the name of.
Paul Bennett.

Anyone else remember any of these Leigh names from the late 70's & early 80's or others I might know. Getting old now and the memory isn't what it once was ;)

Phil Cornwell, is still on TV now and again. Played Slipper of the Yard in Mrs Biggs recently. About Ronnie Biggs and his wife. Last saw him in the flesh against Oxford away a few years back.
Leigh Comm stories on here in the Pak thread as you said.

Quills, long story, but I somehow was taken on as a Doorman by Eddie Quill after stopping a fight with talk. I lasted One Night, Lol. It was when about 30-100 Coaches would come down on a Saturday in the summer, and park in the seaway car park, in the Early Eighties. Pub crawlers and stag parties, mainly from the London and surrounding area's. I was being eyed up and threatened all night. I was in there a few times when the place would erupt with violence as coach parties and sometimes locals clashed. Glassing's were a common occurrence. Not ashamed to say that I was bricking it. I wondered why the Doormen didn't last long, even tho it was about double per Hour what most Doormen got around town, plus all the beer you could drink. I had never done it before, and never since, no thank you. Lasting One Night down Quills on the door, without getting bashed, was a miracle. Phew!

Andy Collins lived near Terry De Costa. Not seen him since we played 3 card brag at his house about 35 Years ago, with Ade Abbott and Tricky Dicky Hughes.
We used to hang out at Terry De Costa's sometimes. He had those red or blue light bulbs in his large bedroom for effect. His room was like a den, all lads and girls were welcome. We were all about 15. Not seen him since tho.

Still see John Carlin about now and again. He's on my facebook. He's finally given up the beer.

Ade Abbot. Christ! There's one I haven't heard of in years. Andy and his sister, Denise, used to live just around the corner from me and it was he and Terry who initiated myself and my family into the delights of 3 and 7 card brag. Being about 4 years older than the 'gang' I hung about with we all kinda looked up to Andy, Terry etc but would frequently get a lighthearted kicking from one of them down Bonchurch Park for no apparent reason :smile:

I said to the missus when watching Mrs Biggs that I used to drink with the guy there, pointing at Phil Cornwall. Fell completely on deaf ears it did.:unsure:

I was introduced to the delights, if that's what they can be called, of The Ivy House and Quills by my sister. I can't remember a night when it either didn't kick off inside or outside. You really did have to keep your wits about you back then for fear of being dragged into something very nasty.

We used to hang out in Bonchurch park. Drove the locals crazy. Playing hide n seek with coppers in the park in the dark was always fun.
Ade drinks down the seafront a lot in the summer.
Me and Quills was weird. The music was great at that time, and you got all sorts of birds down there, and I had a few mates from Southend and Shoebury that I would drink with. Like you say, it was always kicking off. For some reason, I enjoyed the intimidating atmosphere, knowing that any time it would erupt, wondering if this was the night I would cop it. I found it strangely exciting. Weird.

Remember a guy well but in the haze of time can't remember his name but cycled everywhere, ****ed or sober, Bad limp due to an accident. Still lives in Leigh if I recall. After 30 years bumped into him at a race meeting last year at Silverstone of all places.

That's Mike Ronald. I've been trying to encourage him on here from time to time, especially as he's already got a moniker that he uses ... Turtle 69 Hawklord.

Leigh has gone rapidly downhill since Candles out and The Grand closed.

sums up leigh,southend,the country.was at southend seafront,aug 2011,first time in about 20 years.shocked how dead&empty it was.maybe,like watching the blues!!,the best days were in the 60s-70s.rip the seafront

That's Mike Ronald. I've been trying to encourage him on here from time to time, especially as he's already got a moniker that he uses ... Turtle 69 Hawklord.

For the love of god why,he is bad enough in real life,on a computer he would be 1,000 times worse.

Back