• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fred

First XI⭐
7th April 2013. A day imprinted on every Shrimpers mind. Apart from seeing my beloved team walk out onto the hallowed turf, my abiding memory was watching the thousands of blues fans walking up Wembley Way and then to see almost one end of the stadium covered in blue. A day my boys and I will never forget. Happy days.

Really? I have to say Wembley was hugely underwhelming and a total disappointment, and not just the performance/result.

Really? I have to say Wembley was hugely underwhelming and a total disappointment, and not just the performance/result.

Blimey, I've said in the past that your glass is always half empty now I don't think you even have a glass.

A brilliant day, seeing all the coaches arriving at the Green Man and all the Blues' fans in Wembley Way was amazing. Of course the performance and result were disappointing but this is Southend we're talking about.

Blimey, I've said in the past that your glass is always half empty now I don't think you even have a glass.

A brilliant day, seeing all the coaches arriving at the Green Man and all the Blues' fans in Wembley Way was amazing. Of course the performance and result were disappointing but this is Southend we're talking about.

Each to their own. I had a much better day watching the game v Hull earlier this season.

You really surprise me with that, Paul, didn't your heart swell with pride at seeing our little old club's name emblazoned on the side of Wembley stadium? Didn't you smile at the sight of swathes of blue walking up Wembley Way? Didn't you get a lump in your throat seeing our team walk out on to the pitch at the start of the game?

I did all of those things, and while a win would have been the icing on the cake, I wouldn't swap it for anything.

Twenty one years ago today went rather better !

Really ???.
In the hours leading up to kick off and even to a lesser extent even after the game I and the fans i was with
thought it was great !. Your comment probably explains why I see you post so often on the 'what is hacking you off today' thread.

Last edited:
Excuse me for having an opinion. I didn't travel from Essex so I didn't see all the coaches nor did I go in the Green Man. I travelled on a train where I saw two other SUFC fans.

You really surprise me with that, Paul, didn't your heart swell with pride at seeing our little old club's name emblazoned on the side of Wembley stadium? Didn't you smile at the sight of swathes of blue walking up Wembley Way? Didn't you get a lump in your throat seeing our team walk out on to the pitch at the start of the game?

Maybe in retrospect, yes but as the lack of atmosphere inside the stadium, the performance, the silly woman begging B*** M****** to score a wonder goal every five minutes didn't help.

Last edited:
I tend to side with MK,

Fantastic turnout from the fans yet oh so quiet .
The team were a complete let down.

We left the stadium with 10 minutes left yet the day began full of hope and excitement arriving at Wembley around 8 then having breakfast it was good until the game started.

It's up there with one of my greatest sporting moments I have witnessed. I had goosebumps all the way in the car seeing hundreds of other shrimpers in the car. It took my breath away walking down wembley way in a sea of shrimpers, then into the stadium and I was speechless at the support the lowly little club from Essex could muster.

Taking my Dad who has supported Southend all his life and has like every Southend fan has never seen them play at Wembey made it such a special day. Although the performance wasn't much to get excited about the day was what it as all about. Something that will live long in my memories.

It's one that I will always cherish - going to the home of football itself to see my beloved Southend United play, rather than the overpaid primadonnas who play there regularly was one thing - but that was the last game I would ever attend with my father, who a week later was diagnosed with cancer, and died a couple of months afterwards. That game, and Orient before it, are the only two memories I treasure from 2013.

It was certainly an amazing experience leading up to the game and seeing all our fans on Wembley Way. However getting into the stadium was a massive anti-climax, there may have been 31,000 Shimpers but not one meaningful bit of noise was made all game, dreadful atmosphere and the performance wasn't great either! But it was still a great day,if only for the build up and seeing as play at Wembley.

I'm with MK on this one.

Yes it was good to see a good turnout but that's about it. For me, Wembley is massively over hyped and much preferred the trips to Cardiff (even the 2 we lost).

Would actually think twice about going to the play off final if we got there

Up there with one of my best days out ever. But can't compare to away trips done with the lads because this was a special family moment. I couldn't give a toss about the atmosphere - the fact remains it is Wembley. And it was little Southend there. My youngest daughter's first ever game! :smile:

was a great day to be with the family and friends who support SUFC. I agree with the comments about the quality of the football, we was no where near or best on the day That aside still a great day full of memories for us as a family being at Wembley, a school boy dream and also the last game of football my Dad was able to attend as he sadly suddenly died 2 1/2 months later with lung cancer

I agree with MK - I was totally ****ed off with the day - much preferred the visits to Cardiff as well - best part of the day was taking my 85 year old Mum to Wembley - she enjoyed herself - but then she is not called Grumpy :winking:

I will trot out my often used phrase "A brilliant day ruined by 90 minutes of crap football".

A phrase used far too often for away games.

Yeah, totally agree about the match itself, but the build up to it all was an adrenaline rush for me though.

It was fantastic to meet up with so many faces from the past.
The pre-match atmosphere was fantastic around the ground and in the pubs.

The match was awful . The only thing worse than the game was to see and hear 32,000 Shrimpers act as though it was a slience contest. It would be virtually impossossible to ever have as many people in one space - without a sound. Pin drop!

Back