• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah all our fair weather fans turned up, but none of our players did. Who knows could be 7 games from wembley?

I will trot out my often used phrase "A brilliant day ruined by 90 minutes of crap football".

A phrase used far too often for away games.

THIS sums it up for me!,

I would gladly pay 500 quid to play at Wembley for the once in a lifetime experience and whilst not blessed with talent I would give my all for the cause,Sadly the professionals representing us obviously felt different and made Alex look like Barca.

It was fantastic to meet up with so many faces from the past.
The pre-match atmosphere was fantastic around the ground and in the pubs.

The match was awful . The only thing worse than the game was to see and hear 32,000 Shrimpers act as though it was a slience contest. It would be virtually impossossible to ever have as many people in one space - without a sound. Pin drop!

I tried to get a Barry Corr chant going and was just met with bemused, pitying looks from those around me (more so than usual).

Seeing Southend at Wembley was wonderful though and those of us who saw it were lucky. I spent plenty of time that day thinking of two lifelong Southend fans - my Dad and Harry/canveyshrimper - who never got the chance.

Let's make sure we get back there on May 26th and leave with smiles on our faces!

Really? I have to say Wembley was hugely underwhelming and a total disappointment, and not just the performance/result.

I'm with you on this. Beating Orient in the previous round was the one I will remember.

A slight body-swerve off topic here, but anyone else think they really missed a trick with the new Wembley by not sticking with the old tradition of the players coming out at one end, with the long walk to the halfway line? It gave the fans, players & everyone a good couple of minutes of theatre & ramped up the atmosphere as they walked accross the turf. Now its a quick ten yards out of the tunnel & they're done. I find that all a bit of a let down.

Anyway, I loved the day but the atmosphere was ruined by us doing our usual & conceding straight after kick off. I'll definitely be back there if we get to the play-off final. Days like that are priceless to fans of clubs like ours.

All about opinions. I hated it. The Orient semi-final was as good as any SUFC experience I've had and I enjoyed all the Cardiff visits. You can keep Wembley. We'll see what happens with the play-offs but I'm in no hurry to go back.

Painful day. Agree with those comments about it being great to see 32K shrimpers take over wembley, However I'd take being in those 700 at Pompey away in november every day personally.

It was a fantastic day, the performance and the result completely took a back seat to just being there with 30,000 other supporters.

If it was a play off game that would be a different kettle of fish, but it was an incredible experience.

I dont think that you ever forget the first time your team play at Wembley , it is something that every fan always dreams of . The game itself was not one of the best I have seen , it was rather like the first time we went to Cardiff after Blackpool had scored early like Crewe the Southend supporters seemed to die. I do not know why this was perhaps the fans thought that we should not be there .I do hope that if we get to the play of finals this year it will be a day that Southend supporters will remember as the day we rocked the foundations of Wembley Stadium .

I daresay if we get to Wembley again for the PO final we'll take considerably fewer anyway, maybe 20k at best, as it won't have the same novelty value to those who aren't really that bothered about the club. And conversely it will probably improve the atmosphere as those there will care a lot more and the singing hardcore won't be so spread out.

Fantastic day up until kick off. Hated the game, not just because of the result but because Wembley is soulless.

I daresay if we get to Wembley again for the PO final we'll take considerably fewer anyway, maybe 20k at best, as it won't have the same novelty value to those who aren't really that bothered about the club. And conversely it will probably improve the atmosphere as those there will care a lot more and the singing hardcore won't be so spread out.

I would prefer if we reach the final the game played at a top prem ground,Wembley is far too big for clubs of our size.

My abiding memory of the day is getting up really early at my mate's house in Bridport and leaving at 6.15 a.m. A great drive through misty Dorset and on towards London, parking at Hillingdon underground station, tube to Wembley. We emerged from the underground to face Wembley Way at 8.40 a.m. on that Sunday morning. The place was deserted. I mean really empty. No one in sight at all. No cars on the road. Not even any hot dog stands. Nothing. Had we chosen the right day...? Nope, we were just two hours too early........ so we wandered around the outside of the stadium and were reduced to reading the bricks with their sponsor's names and messages on. What a couple of turnips we were!

Besides that experience of an utterly deserted Wembley Way the match itself proved a bit forgettable, especially as my mate is a Crewe Alex fan!! I couldn't believe it when Mohsnhi appeared on the pitch. I think I enjoyed the knockabout match between the two paint company teams that preceded the final more. Oh well, let's hope we're back at Wembley in the play-offs and I'll have a couple more hours in bed.

I undoubtedly took the best pictures that day. Not very pc titled but everyone who has viewed them enjoyed the 'Wembley Mongtage' collection of pics I produced of some of our supporters in a less than beautiful light.

The game itself, we actually played better than some people's memories allow them to think. We were the better team in the first half especially and had a number of chances. It was the two goals so early in each half that killed the team and the atmosphere.

The day ended with a larger than life size Paul Sturrock mask propped up on a tree in Carnaby Street. You can safely say that the Gang Of Groyne enjoyed themselves tremendously.

I would really like to see a repeat performance like Cardiff 2 JPT defeats and a glorious day against Lincon in the playoff final :thumbsup:

Feels like longer than a year ago....It was a decent day and one I won't forget. The atmosphere is always quiet in that stadium, luckily I had already been a few times so I knew what to expect. The first time I went the atmosphere was horribly quiet when it was full.

The year's of trying to get to Wembley and the many near misses so close but yet so far.
The actual getting there was always going to be the best thing.
Myself and my son getting to the pub before 10, having a few pints and the atmosphere there was great.
Watching and talking to Mr Sturock will be a great memory.
Walking round the ground and taking the atmosphere in having photos in the ground and being amazed at the
amount of S.U.F.C. fans there (well we will never know How Many WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Trying to figure out the team selection, then the game oh lets skip that.
Then a good pint after, and the traffic jams on Shrimperzone coach and a few pints later in the Old Trout (Shrimpers Wembley Ale)
Would i do it again this year. Cant wait. Bring on Fleetwood!

May have been said before but back in the 1960's when I started supporting the Blues,the chance to see our team at Wembley was just a pipe dream.Never even thought that it would come true.One of the Best Days in my Southend involvement without doubt. :-)

Back