• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Yeovil Persepctive

GeordieDazza

Hi from Yeovil.

I won't say much about the game as I am not one to 'rub it in' so to speak.

All I will say is that in Dani Rodrigues, we have founf an absolute diamond for us. Today was third game and only his fifth half for us. And he has four goals. Brilliant.

Your best player, IMHO, was the ex-Arsenal man Nicky Nicolau. He looked a bloody good talent.

I do have to ask why your manager stuck Constantine on the wing when Bramble came on? Surely putting your top scorer on the wing isn't the best move?

Several people hve mentioned that Bramble missed a sitter - the one that ballooned over the bar. I was sat right in front of this and to be fair to Bramble, it was actually touched on by our right back, Andy Lindegaard. An excellent goal saving touch. Bramble had no chance.

Finally, on another thread, someone reckons your player, Gower I think. would have run rings around our defence. Well, I haven't seen Gower so won't comment on him, but our defence has kept more clean sheets in Division 3 than any other team. So don't be so sure.

All the best.

Thanks for clearing the Bramble thing up GD. He gets enough stick as it is!!
biggrin.gif

As for Connie, he's scored a fair few of his goals from the wing so there's not really much of a point on that one.

For me; Nicalou and Cort were our best players. No-one else really turned up!

Kev

Wow, didn't know Rodriguez was such a recent find for you - a real gem. The boy has pace to burn, and a great eye for goal - the perfect combo for a striker.

Thought you totally outplayed us today, and yet didn't get out of 3rd goal yourselves. A shame we played so poorly, really. We had some pretty-ish, but undangerous possession during the first half whilst it was still 0-0. Once you'd gone ahead, and particularly after our substitutions, we lost all shape and control.

Good luck in the playoffs!

Matt

P.S. Good away contingent from you guys too - 1,000?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 25 2004,01:57)]Wow, didn't know Rodriguez was such a recent find for you - a real gem.  The boy has pace to burn, and a great eye for goal - the perfect combo for a striker.

Thought you totally outplayed us today, and yet didn't get out of 3rd goal yourselves.  A shame we played so poorly, really.  We had some pretty-ish, but undangerous possession during the first half whilst it was still 0-0.  Once you'd gone ahead, and particularly after our substitutions, we lost all shape and control.

Good luck in the playoffs!

Matt

P.S. Good away contingent from you guys too - 1,000?
Did you see Rodriguez's goal last week (IIRC) - ball into the box, back to goal he chested it straight up into the air and overhead-kicked it into the top corner!

They kept showing it on Sky and comparing it to Rivaldo...

Great player for you guys - tell us more about him - where did he come from, contract length etc?

Dani Rodrigues to date:

He was on loan at Bournemouth from Portuguese club Farense aroundabout year 1999. Southampton nipped in to sign him for £170,000 and promptly loaned him to Bristol City for two spells where he was a big hit. Unfortunately, he broke his leg twice and wasout for long periods and eventually realeased from the Saints due to lack of fitness.

At the start of the 2002/2003 season, he signed for Walsall butonly made 1 appearance and was released around Christmas time (I think). He resurfaced at Greek top flight club Ionikos but left at the end of last season.

On trnsfer dealine day, he signed for us until the end of the season after playing in the previous days reserve game. Gary Johnson said he won't be playing this season, but he has signed him with a view to the long term. However, injuries and loss of form for some of our strikers meant he was on te bench at Boston (but didn't get on).

He was also on the bench the following game against Bury at home. We are 1 nil down and Dani comes on in the 48th minute and within 5 minutes a cross comes into the box and Dani has his back to goal but controls the ball with his chest and scores a spectacular overhead goal - the like of which I will probably never see 'live' again (so your memory is spot on mate!). The best goal I have ever seen in a Yeovil shirt.

Three minutes after that, he has his second goal. A scr*ppy tap in of sorts. Not bad for eight minutes of play!

He didn't score when we won at York on Tuesday but lasted 89 minutes which is great as he has been so lacking in fitness. But he played well.

And then he played Southend yesterday.

Even though he is out of contract at the end of the season, he is almost guaranteed a new one. He wants to stay, we love him and GJ rescued his career (which Dani said himself in an interview after the Bury game).

Hope this helps PBoreham!!!

It was more like 700 away fans. Hull brought 1200 and they looked to have double the amount ...

Kev

So what you are saying is that for an end that holds over 3,000 it was LESS than a third full. Try specsavers, they have a deal on at the moment.

I think you'll find that indeed that is correct. The north bank always looks more filled than it actually is as soon as people stand up. The seats are very close together and the front couple of rows you can hardly even see the pitch so that takes away several hundred seats from the equation straight away!

Einstein

... you were saying, madmal ...

Better pop down there yourself son. I think they open at 9am.

Kev

As you have quoted our Ciderspace, you should read the other threads where most of us argue that there was more than 1,000 there.

I'd imagine the 704 quoted was from the same person that done the accounts for Robert Maxwell
wink.gif

One of the away turnstile operators sits with us and said the away attendance was somewhat higher than 700 and much more around the 4 figure mark.

Anyway, a hypothetical question totally unconnected with Southend United. What you you think if say, at a hypothetical game not at all involving Southend, of course, the official away supporter count for a midweek game was stated as around 1,100 but a hypothetical turnstile operator later gave you an exact figure which was over 2,000?

Would you then trust a hypothetical club's official away supporter count for the following Saturday's game being in the mid to high hundreds rather than above four figures? All hypotheticaly of course.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hamstring @ April 25 2004,21:38)]I'd imagine the 704 quoted was from the same person that done the accounts for Robert Maxwell  
wink.gif

One of the away turnstile operators sits with us and said the away attendance was somewhat higher than 700 and much more around the 4 figure mark.
the club blagging about the attendance figures again??
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ April 25 2004,23:20)]the club blagging about the attendance figures again??  
sad.gif
Let's make it quite clear that Southend United have never ever ever previously been less that totally accurate with official attendances. Ever. They told us so before on here so it must be true.

I was merely highlighting the fact that someone of my acquaintance was of the opinion that a fair few more than 700 away fans turned up.

Although, all things considered, it might be argued that the consensus from the majority of people on here take the view that the club talks a load of misleading c.rap about this subject from time to time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hamstring @ April 25 2004,23:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ April 25 2004,23:20)]the club blagging about the attendance figures again??  
sad.gif
Let's make it quite clear that Southend United have never ever ever previously been less that totally accurate with official attendances.  Ever.  They told us so before on here so it must be true.

I was merely highlighting the fact that someone of my acquaintance was of the opinion that a fair few more than 700 away fans turned up.

Although, all things considered, it might be argued that the consensus from the majority of people on here take the view that the club talks a load of misleading c.rap about this subject from time to time.
Why would the club lie?? I thought that it is their duty to report the correct attendance figure to the football league, not to mention for auditing purposes. The only possible reason I could guess would be that they are pretending there were more Southend fans to, in some bizarre peer pressure way, to inflate attendances for the remaining game of the season.

I'm sure if I'd been working on the away turnstiles and had been squeezing 700 people through a few tiny turnstiles, I would feel like I'd dealt with a thousand...

I believe it is only their duty to announce paying spectators but I could be wrong.

It is conceivable that there were around 1,000 freebies spread around the ground on Saturday.

And it's also quite conceivable that in the LDV 2nd leg against Col Ewe they 'forgot' to count season ticket holders.

Whoops, this mistakes do happen.

Back