• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
I have managed to somehow refrain from posting hours after the final whistle in previous weeks, purely because I felt the need to try and sit back and evaluate what I had just witnessed before saying things which werent necessary, but no more.

What I witnessed this afternoon was one of the most gutless, inept, passionless and pathetic displays I have seen from a Southend side in a LONG time.

After seeing us play so well on Tuesday night, I arrived this afternoon with high hopes that we were turning the corner and things were on the up - I could not have been more wrong.

A shambolic performance, almost without exception, and I include the management of the team in that assessment.

Make no mistakes, Ipswich are a poor side, one of the poorest we have played this season, and yet again, we allow them to score 3 of the easiest goals you will ever see.

On top of this, what the hell does Tilly say to them at half time these days?.... Go out there lads and do your best to concede as many goals as possible in the first 3 minutes of the second half, and then see if we can turn it around?
rock.gif
OK, I jest, but I am sorry, he must be doing something very wrong at half time for them to continually concede so early in the second half - It was embarrassing, and yet, you knew, you absolutely knew, it was going to happen.

His substitutions were bizarre to say the least. OK, Freddie and Matt were unwell, but why oh why was Jay Smith and Moussa not given a run out? People can argue whether or not Smithy is good enough for this league, and I must say, I have my doubts, but for goodness sake, can we not at least try and find out?
rock.gif
? What has he got to do to get some time on the pitch for us this season?

I heard he slammed his top down when Tilly obviously told him that sorry Jay, were 1-3 with no hope of getting anything else out of the game, I am going to play a centre half in midfield and even with one substitution left up my sleeve, Im still not going to put you on. Ridiculous, Im sorry, but it is, and I really feel for Jay - I hope, for his sake, that he demands a transfer, because I want to see him do well.

As for the rest, defensively, all over the show this afternoon again. Hammell is OK on the ball, and going forward, but defensively, not even close to being good enough. His distribution and set pieces were poor today as well. AB had yet another terrible afternoon at the office. Clarke I actually thought was the pick of a bad bunch and wasnt nearly as bad as some have said. Hunt was poor, which is dissapointing as I have been saying for ages he should be back at right back.

Midfield, Gower was completely non existent until we were 0-3 down, and that cannot happen. Why is it when he has a bad game, he has a terrible game???

Gutteridge was again woeful. He is in the side to not only tackle and fight, but to get forward and support the front two, and I dont think I have seen him do that once this season. Maher tried, but most things he tried were not good enough, Set pieces, which almost goes without saying these days, were shocking, abd his passing was not quite on the radar today, and usually, again as always, looked to blame someone else. Francis did OK, but has the worst first touch I have ever seen on a professional football player, and I include Dave Regis in that!!

Up front Freddie and Matt were both non existent, but thats not all there fault. With a supply line like we have, Ronaldinho and Henry would stuggle up top. Having said that, Freddie needs a partner that carries with him some kind of goal threat, and I hate to say it, but Tilly has signed some very mediocre strikers from what I can see. The one gem has now, for reasons we still have no idea about, left us, and that needs to be addressed asap. Having said that, I will give credit for Paynter who came on, ran his heart out, and actually looked effective, and a performance like that week in week out would do wonders for us and Freddie.

Tilly is not beyond criticism here either, something is wrong with us at the moment, there seems to be no organisation at the back, the team talks at half time have the desired effect, but only for our opponents and he is clearly targeting one player that he doesnt like, and that is Jay Smith. I think he has to buck his ideas up as well as the team - Oh, and I dont want no 'Have I forgotten about the last 2 and a half years' crap that gets spouted on here as soon as you criticise the manager, because no, I havent, but he needs to up his game considerably, along with the team.

I hate to say it, but I cannot see us getting out of this current mess we are in. We have played 3 extremely average Championship sides in a week, and have conceded 6 goals at home in the process and only gained one point. That is nowhere near good enough and things need to be changed radically for us to improve.

Other teams are using the loan market, and we have to do so as well, no excuses about money etc and how difficult it is to get players in on loan because that is bullsh*t, heard it too many times and am no longer interested in it. Other teams, lesser teams, do it, so we can too.

Havent felt this angry and let down after a Southend performance for quite some time, and at the moment, it is no longer fun watching the team I love.

mad.gif

Must say RC you have summed up the way I feel too right now.

It's not just Jay Smith who has been frozen out though!

Lawson and in particular Wilson, a virtual ever present in two back to back promotion winning teams has also been ruthlessly cast aside despite our appalling, yes it is appalling, defensive record!

Ok, in Wilsons case he might not be good enough, but as I have said before, none of us know!

I am P!ssed off right now!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MC BLUES @ Oct. 21 2006,18:35)]Ok, in Wilsons case he might not be good enough, but as I have said before, none of us know!
In all honestly though doubt he could do any worse than our current shambles

The original post pretty much summed up my feelings perfectly too.

Im sick and tired of hearing on the website "we are down to the bare bones" Heard enough of that last season. Why havent we learnt our lesson ? No excuses. Besides which, who exactly are we missing ? Spinner, Hooper,and JCR, hardly going to change things if they are all fit

Perfectly summed up post, mirrored I'm sure by every one of the unfortunate southend fans who witnessed this shambles today. Probably one of the worst performances I've seen from any side at Roots Hall in my 40 years of following the blues. The time, space and room the guy had for their third was laughable. Keystone cops stuff. Please dont anybody on here tell me Francis or Clark are better players and add more to the side than Mark Bentley would have done today. where will Francis get a game next week..... in goal.... Tilly's played him everywhere else!

I'm sick of listening to everyone moan. Three years ago, we had Steve Wignall in charge, and we probably would have got relegated had it not been for Tilly and Brush. We're in the Championship for gawd sake. Just Enjoy it!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Oct. 21 2006,18:59)]I'm sick of listening to everyone moan. Three years ago, we had Steve Wignall in charge, and we probably would have got relegated had it not been for Tilly and Brush. We're in the Championship for gawd sake. Just Enjoy it!  
smile.gif
Enjoy what exactly mate?

Getting trounced week in week out by mediocre teams?

Enjoy conceding poor goal after poor goal at home?

The argument about where we were 3 years ago is now getting extremely thin. I couldnt give a monkeys where we were 3 years ago, I care about where we are now, and where we are headed.

If we do not sort this mess out now, we will be heading back where we came from 3 years ago, is that what you want?

If you are happy with that, then fair enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Oct. 21 2006,18:59)]I'm sick of listening to everyone moan. Three years ago, we had Steve Wignall in charge, and we probably would have got relegated had it not been for Tilly and Brush. We're in the Championship for gawd sake. Just Enjoy it!  
smile.gif
How can you enjoy that!

I'm fed up of people saying what you have just said, as if we should all be grateful for seeing other teams and their 'fans' taking the p!ss!!

The Club should be grateful that we all continue to shell out our hard earned to watch this type of inept performance, for that is what it was!!!

Sorry, but that is how I feel about it right now!!!!

Yea, sure it was a sh!t game, but look at our team... Flavs, Barrett, Spinner, Maher, Gutts, Freddy, and others were playing for us in the basement league 16 months ago. Now we are up against massive teams, so it's going to be hard. This is unchartered territory for pretty much the whole squad. Just because they haven't taken to it like ducks to water and everyone is on their backs.

Basically last season we won the league with a side that was tipped to finish lower mid table in League One. I think in a very strange way getting promoted last season was the worst thing to happen to us. We probably could have done with a couple of years to assemble a squad that would get us promoted and be ready to compete at this level. We still have quite a lot of the players that have been around since the League 2 days and its becoming moer apprent that a few of them aren't upto this level.

Its just Col******r doing well with a weaker side than last season did'nt help the SUFC players & it make them look worst!

If we play like that agasint Col******r next month, I want their blood
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MC BLUES @ Oct. 21 2006,19:05)]I'm fed up of people saying what you have just said, as if we should all be grateful for seeing other teams and their 'fans' taking the p!ss!!
How good was it to see them shut up when the goal went in?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Oct. 21 2006,18:27)]I have managed to somehow refrain from posting hours after the final whistle in previous weeks, purely because I felt the need to try and sit back and evaluate what I had just witnessed before saying things which werent necessary, but no more.

What I witnessed this afternoon was one of the most gutless, inept, passionless and pathetic displays I have seen from a Southend side in a LONG time.

After seeing us play so well on Tuesday night, I arrived this afternoon with high hopes that we were turning the corner and things were on the up - I could not have been more wrong.

A shambolic performance, almost without exception, and I include the management of the team in that assessment.

Make no mistakes, Ipswich are a poor side, one of the poorest we have played this season, and yet again, we allow them to score 3 of the easiest goals you will ever see.

On top of this, what the hell does Tilly say to them at half time these days?.... Go out there lads and do your best to concede as many goals as possible in the first 3 minutes of the second half, and then see if we can turn it around?
rock.gif
 OK, I jest, but I am sorry, he must be doing something very wrong at half time for them to continually concede so early in the second half - It was embarrassing, and yet, you knew, you absolutely knew, it was going to happen.

His substitutions were bizarre to say the least.  OK, Freddie and Matt were unwell, but why oh why was Jay Smith and Moussa not given a run out?  People can argue whether or not Smithy is good enough for this league, and I must say, I have my doubts, but for goodness sake, can we not at least try and find out?
rock.gif
?  What has he got to do to get some time on the pitch for us this season?  

I heard he slammed his top down when Tilly obviously told him that sorry Jay, were 1-3 with no hope of getting anything else out of the game, I am going to play a centre half in midfield and even with one substitution left up my sleeve, Im still not going to put you on.  Ridiculous, Im sorry, but it is, and I really feel for Jay - I hope, for his sake, that he demands a transfer, because I want to see him do well.

As for the rest, defensively, all over the show this afternoon again.  Hammell is OK on the ball, and going forward, but defensively, not even close to being good enough.  His distribution and set pieces were poor today as well.  AB had yet another terrible afternoon at the office.  Clarke I actually thought was the pick of a bad bunch and wasnt nearly as bad as some have said.  Hunt was poor, which is dissapointing as I have been saying for ages he should be back at right back.

Midfield, Gower was completely non existent until we were 0-3 down, and that cannot happen.  Why is it when he has a bad game, he has a terrible game???

Gutteridge was again woeful.  He is in the side to not only tackle and fight, but to get forward and support the front two, and I dont think I have seen him do that once this season.  Maher tried, but most things he tried were not good enough,  Set pieces, which almost goes without saying these days, were shocking, abd his passing was not quite on the radar today, and usually, again as always, looked to blame someone else.  Francis did OK, but has the worst first touch I have ever seen on a professional football player, and I include Dave Regis in that!!

Up front Freddie and Matt were both non existent, but thats not all there fault.  With a supply line like we have, Ronaldinho and Henry would stuggle up top.  Having said that, Freddie needs a partner that carries with him some kind of goal threat, and I hate to say it, but Tilly has signed some very mediocre strikers from what I can see.  The one gem has now, for reasons we still have no idea about, left us, and that needs to be addressed asap.  Having said that, I will give credit for Paynter who came on, ran his heart out, and actually looked effective, and a performance like that week in week out would do wonders for us and Freddie.

Tilly is not beyond criticism here either, something is wrong with us at the moment, there seems to be no organisation at the back, the team talks at half time have the desired effect, but only for our opponents and he is clearly targeting one player that he doesnt like, and that is Jay Smith.  I think he has to buck his ideas up as well as the team - Oh, and I dont want no 'Have I forgotten about the last 2 and a half years' crap that gets spouted on here as soon as you criticise the manager, because no, I havent, but he needs to up his game considerably, along with the team.

I hate to say it, but I cannot see us getting out of this current mess we are in.  We have played 3 extremely average Championship sides in a week, and have conceded 6 goals at home in the process and only gained one point.  That is nowhere near good enough and things need to be changed radically for us to improve.

Other teams are using the loan market, and we have to do so as well, no excuses about money etc and how difficult it is to get players in on loan because that is bullsh*t, heard it too many times and am no longer interested in it.  Other teams, lesser teams, do it, so we can too.

Havent felt this angry and let down after a Southend performance for quite some time, and at the moment, it is no longer fun watching the team I love.

mad.gif
99% spot on, only one thing to contradicte you, Billy Paynter! I have defended him in recent weeks saying that his work rate is good and it takes time to settle in but..... he just doesnt do it for me! He got some space with about 10 minutes to go and headed it straight to there keeper! They had a 19 year old inexperienced keeper and my daughter ( who is 9) could have placed that ball better. I dont like negative post, nor do I consider myself a gloom and doom merchant but there was absoulutly no pluses you could take out of todays game. We looked clueless in every dept, and lookes second best to a very poor Ipswich side.....Tilly, please smash some cups or something because after todays performnce, its going to be a very long season!

We also haven't got a "Bentley" type midfielder who can break into the box to score goal, we did'nt replace Bentley this season, that p!ssed me off.

Bring in Aaron Mclean from Grays NOW!!!!!. 22 goals in 44 starts. Paynter gives 110% whenever he plays but...... he is not a goal scorer. As soon as Freddy went of today, so did our chances of ever getting back into the game. Our goal came because Ipswich took their foot of the gas and probably were having trouble staying awake against such mediocre opposition.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skyblue @ Oct. 21 2006,19:17)]Bring in Aaron Mclean from Grays NOW!!!!!.
No, no and a big fat no.

We're not in League 2 anymore.

I believe we lack the spirit we had last year. There seemed to be more togetherness last year, the players were more local and seemed to get on really well with each other. This season some of our players seem to be arguing amongst themselves and even when we score there don't seem to be many players running up to congratulate their team mate's goal. Hopefully with time the newer players will settle better and a good togetherness can be forged.

Although today's match was disappointing, it's nowhere near as bad as the days of Martin, Little, Wignall etc...

Back