• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Abu Ogogo Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what people are expecting, we're a NL club now, not a Lg1 club, most signings are going to be a bit bbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Just a chance to don the flat cap and have a moan. Very decent signing if it indeed happens.

32 and in the last three seasons appeared in just one more game than Alan MacCormack (55 as opposed to 54) and recently missed three months of last season with a quad injury.
If we can get a full season out of him potentially a very good signing but there are some red flags there.
Obviously he had an injury last year. But the two seasons before that he had no major issues and was in the match day squad on 41 then 33 occasions. Challenge was he wasn’t always starting at L1 club. We however are in the NL

Partially it does. Unfortunately he was at a L1 club where he wasn’t always a first choice but nonetheless fit and available to play- hence my clarification regarding when he was available and in the match day squad.

Had he been at a L2 club or NL no doubt he would have been first choice regularly

32 and in the last three seasons appeared in just one more game than Alan MacCormack (55 as opposed to 54) and recently missed three months of last season with a quad injury.
If we can get a full season out of him potentially a very good signing but there are some red flags there.

Back in September I watched one the youngest SUFC squads play a team called Harrogate who were fresh from the NL.

It has to go down as possibly one of the most embarrassing performances at RH we have ever seen. I don't blame the young hungry lads or the up and coming manger.

We never had a single leader on the pitch. Here is the thing people seem to be missing. If you do want young talent to come here on loan, sign permanently or for Hobson, Rush and Bridge to improve. You ned good experience leaders around them, its a great advert for them to come and a chance to be in a winning team.....Hobson never learnt from Taylor and Rush never learnt from Poorship.

We have trimmed our budget and the mythical 27 year old who will boss midfield for 40 games will be heading for the EFL not RH. Players on the way down cost less than the ones on the way up.

We had Humphries, Kelman, Hopper and Hutchinson. They were all on the way up but ultimately did it do us any good?

Partially it does. Unfortunately he was at a L1 club where he wasn’t always a first choice but nonetheless fit and available to play- hence my clarification regarding when he was available and in the match day squad.

Had he been at a L2 club or NL no doubt he would have been first choice regularly
A lot of Rovers fans would say he should’ve been first choice more regularly in L1. They didn’t exactly do great without him. Good player, should be perfect for the NL.

We had Humphries, Kelman, Hopper and Hutchinson. They were all on the way up but ultimately did it do us any good?

I don't regret us signing Humphrys, Kelman, Hopper and Hutchinson.

I regret that we had to sell them and weren't able to replace them because of the debt we were in having frittered money away on the wages for diminishing returns from the likes of Michael Kightly, David Mooney, Liam Ridgewell, Rob Kiernan, Theo Robinson, Josh Wright, Jason Demetriou etc etc etc

I regret us not having more players like Hopper, Kelman, Hutchinson and Humprhys who could have raised the funds to escape the embargo sooner, who might have enabled us to come off furlough sooner.

Ogogo in himself may not be a bad signing but signing two central midfielders over the age of 30 on multiyear deals would seem shortsighted and storing up similar problems that led to our double relegation.

We've already doubled up on centre halves over the age of 30. If the Jake Hyde rumours are true we'll have doubled up on strikers in their 30s too!

And that's before Holmes and Halford re-sign as expected.

The strange thing is that far more than experience last season, what I thought we lacked was athleticism. We've repeatedly ticked off the experience box this off-season but where's the pace and dynamism? Is that Ogogo's game?

We never had a single leader on the pitch. Here is the thing people seem to be missing.

We have trimmed our budget and the mythical 27 year old who will boss midfield for 40 games will be heading for the EFL not RH. Players on the way down cost less than the ones on the way up.

Out of interest where do you think the 17 youngsters in the National League play off final came from ? All impressive and demonstrating good leadership skills Are Torquay and Hartlepool much richer than us??

I suppose we wont benefit then from the parachute payments ??

Nobody is arguing you dont need a bit of experience, its about a good balance surely

Id like to be convinced that having potentially the highest number of older players in the squad wont lead to problems . This clearly wasnt the recipe for success in the National league by any stretch of the imagination this year was it ??!! , Still lets face it we all like good deal of myth and fantasy over reality at times on here

Pleased to see though you coming round at last to acknowledging the growing number of young and hungry gems available that are going up into the league. Quite a number of them have also come into the 3 National leagues for many reasons and cost nowt

Hope this helps

Greg Gordon

, I work as a football scout for a professional club in Scotland

As an average most footballers hit their prime between 27-30 and at this this stage they'd be deemed to have the highest cash value as experienced talents.

In my personal opinion, I think the peak or "prime age" for a footballer is 26.

For me, 26 is right at the fulcrum between youth (physicality, stamina, skills, etc.) and experience (awareness, mentality, positioning, etc.).

Looking forward to seeoing Halford, White, Ogogo, Demetriou, Holmes Coulson and Dunne, doing their Phil Brown SAS type training and running the legs off all these pesky useless peak aged players

Hope this helps

Greg Gordon

, I work as a football scout for a professional club in Scotland

As an average most footballers hit their prime between 27-30 and at this this stage they'd be deemed to have the highest cash value as experienced talents.

In my personal opinion, I think the peak or "prime age" for a footballer is 26.

For me, 26 is right at the fulcrum between youth (physicality, stamina, skills, etc.) and experience (awareness, mentality, positioning, etc.).

Have a day off mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back