• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Abu Ogogo Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to seeoing Halford, White, Ogogo, Demetriou, Holmes Coulson and Dunne, doing their Phil Brown SAS type training and running the legs off all these pesky useless peak aged players

Didn't you agree some time ago to drop this?

I can't speak for everyone, but your analysis and repeated repetition on a multitude of threads is incredibly tiresome to continue to read.

We get it, you don't agree with the recruitment strategy. Cool. You are allowed to have a view.

But please, stop repeating yourself. It's all just a bit boring now.

Hope this helps

Greg Gordon

, I work as a football scout for a professional club in Scotland

As an average most footballers hit their prime between 27-30 and at this this stage they'd be deemed to have the highest cash value as experienced talents.

In my personal opinion, I think the peak or "prime age" for a footballer is 26.
And there lies the problem for SUFC

Hope this helps

Greg Gordon

As an average most footballers hit their prime between 27-30 and at this this stage they'd be deemed to have the highest cash value as experienced talents.

For me, 26 is right at the fulcrum between youth (physicality, stamina, skills, etc.) and experience (awareness, mentality, positioning, etc.).
On and on and on. No it doesn’t help. At all. Why can’t we just be positive and if someone is a good signing it doesn’t matter how old they are? I thought we were go to let this drop but it just Groundhog Day again and again..

I just want us to sign the best players we can.

Didn't you agree some time ago to drop this?

I can't speak for everyone, but your analysis and repeated repetition on a multitude of threads is incredibly tiresome to continue to read.

We get it, you don't agree with the recruitment strategy. Cool. You are allowed to have a view.

But please, stop repeating yourself. It's all just a bit boring now.

You do speak for everyone!!

Except what that is actually saying is that at that age players are deemed to have the highest value is 27-30 but his opinion is that players actually peak before that age....

Like all generalisations, there will be exceptions to the peak performance football law (27-30 years of age). We have to hope that PB, RD and CF have identified some exceptions in their recruitment strategy. The crucial thing here is how dedicated has a player been during their 20s. Have they kept off the booze, had a good diet, rested adequately, and generally looked after themselves? If they have, it is possible they can extend their career significantly. On the other hand, if a talented player has been unprofessional off the pitch it is quite possible the player in question could be washed up by 27.

Except what that is actually saying is that at that age players are deemed to have the highest value is 27-30 but his opinion is that players actually peak before that age....

Many of us don't agree with Baz and he is scientifically wrong.
When you peak at fitness it doesn't mean the graph looks like Everest. You go up and if your professional you maintain that level for several years. This has been proved with all sorts of studies within sport and the military/Fire Brigade etc.

Of course injuries can take their toll but many contact sports people are better than their 30's than they were at the considered fitness peak of 28.

The reason is you have experience of your sport/profession and a good knowledge on what works for your body training wise. Thats why the 1 and 9 are the most important on the pitch because more than 90% of them are better at it than when they were early 20's.

Well done Hartlepool, i'm glad their 6 year plan paid out handsomely. With the likes of Goodship and EM released we all know with Southend fans we don't have that time. It will be less than 6 weeks in the NL before the knives are out.

As for Torquay my advice is sign some experience. That way you might not choke and not win any of there last 4 leagues games. You could have been champions but at least you scored 4 goals in the semi. The youngest goal scorer was 34, another 35 and two from a 36 year old big number 9.

If football is reduce to just science it will be like watching England play 50 times a year. There is no man woman or child amongst you who could manage that.

Hope this helps

Greg Gordon

For me, 26 is right at the fulcrum between youth (physicality, stamina, skills, etc.) and experience (awareness, mentality, positioning, etc.).
I collect vinyl records and have found a few excellent ways of dealings with those pesky stuck records. Get in touch. I can help you move on. For all our sakes.

Looking forward to seeing another signing being added. Lots of positives to consider.

Regarding the long playing record called "Age!"...I couldn't help but notice what a dreadful Euro competition that old 36 year old guy Ronaldo is having? I mean did you see how slow he was running from one end of the pitch to the other? Cart horse or what? He couldn't even score at the end of it he was so out of breath. What world record number of goals?

Looking forward to seeing another signing being added. Lots of positives to consider.

Regarding the long playing record called "Age!"...I couldn't help but notice what a dreadful Euro competition that old 36 year old guy Ronaldo is having? I mean did you see how slow he was running from one end of the pitch to the other? Cart horse or what? He couldn't even score at the end of it he was so out of breath. What world record number of goals?

You can't pick out isolated cases, especially when it's a unique talent like Ronaldo. There are only a handful of people in the world capable of that let alone the NL.

Have a look at the attached link of their Euro squad with an average age of 27.8. The team will rely on the younger players doing a lot of the leg work and hard graft.

Portugal Euro Squad Ages

Us signing another 32 year old in itself is not an issue, but it does become one if you suddenly have 7/8/9 in your starting line up. I'm sure PB is aware of this and we will see a blend of youth and experience with some strength in depth for once when the inevitable injuries come.

You can't pick out isolated cases, especially when it's a unique talent like Ronaldo. There are only a handful of people in the world capable of that let alone the NL.

Have a look at the attached link of their Euro squad with an average age of 27.8. The team will rely on the younger players doing a lot of the leg work and hard graft.

Portugal Euro Squad Ages

Us signing another 32 year old in itself is not an issue, but it does become one if you suddenly have 7/8/9 in your starting line up. I'm sure PB is aware of this and we will see a blend of youth and experience with some strength in depth for once when the inevitable injuries come.

Absolutely agree

I also quite like

Sancho age 21, Rashford 23, Rice 22, Saka 19, Foden 21, Bellingham 17, Chilwell 24, James 21, Alexander Arnold 22, Grewalish 25,m Calvert lewen 24, KANE 27, Sterling 26, Mount 22 , Henderson 24

Absolutely agree

I also quite like

Sancho age 21, Rashford 23, Rice 22, Saka 19, Foden 21, Bellingham 17, Chilwell 24, James 21, Alexander Arnold 22, Grewalish 25,m Calvert lewen 24, KANE 27, Sterling 26, Mount 22 , Henderson 24
I think most of them are out of our price range we are shopping in Poundland not Harrods we might be lucky and get a bargain from Tesco.

I think most of them are out of our price range we are shopping in Poundland not Harrods we might be lucky and get a bargain from Tesco.

Thats not the point I was making though was it

I was responding to the ever desperate game of pulling an exception out of the bag, i.e. like Ronaldo or Ricketts for that matter

Another common response is to say that you cant compare Premiership players to our league which I do get but like it or not age is a factor whether you are a professional footballer or a milkman

Some people on here go on about the spine of the team. I think it's pretty clear that PB also thinks it's highly important hence the signings of experienced pros to play in those vital positions.

CB - Coulson
CM - Dunne and Ogogo (poss)
CF - Murphy and Hyde (poss)

They may all be 30-32, but the people around them won't be

FB - Elvis, Howard, Clifford and Ralph
WM - Bridge, Walsh, Egbri. Kinali

I think that's a pretty good mix....

Some people on here go on about the spine of the team. I think it's pretty clear that PB also thinks it's highly important hence the signings of experienced pros to play in those vital positions.

CB - Coulson
CM - Dunne and Ogogo (poss)
CF - Murphy and Hyde (poss)

They may all be 30-32, but the people around them won't be

FB - Elvis, Howard, Clifford and Ralph
WM - Bridge, Walsh, Egbri. Kinali

I think that's a pretty good mix....

This is it. What we need it a blend, and we have that. We have young players, who could probably do with some older pros around them. We don't know what contracts they've been offered, what role Brown has spoken to them about. Maybe we're not looking at them to play every game, but 2 in 3 say. Maybe Dunne and Ogogo won't start together often, but will play alongside a Bridge, Phillips, Gard and guide them along. There's the off pitch things too, setting standards in training, diet, lifestyle and other things that we don't see.

At this level you've basically got very limited players who either do nothing well or one thing well and everything else ****e. You're trying to mix and match to build a squad that covers for the weaknesses elsewhere within and between players. Just because we've only signed experience doesn't mean we'll only PLAY experience.

Thats not the point I was making though was it

I was responding to the ever desperate game of pulling an exception out of the bag, i.e. like Ronaldo or Ricketts for that matter

Another common response is to say that you cant compare Premiership players to our league which I do get but like it or not age is a factor whether you are a professional footballer or a milkman

Bazz mate, in the last 5 summers you have been obsessed with early signings. Now the club has done exactly what you and a large majority demanded and actually done some good early business.....You are not happy and have become age obsessed. If it wasn't that it would be height or weight or something else.

We have come off of the back of the worst 2 seasons in the clubs history. We are in financial difficulty with no guarantees we will have stadiums open fully next season. The first target to be still in business, then not in the NL South by May

We have already been turned done by some players in their 20's because of wages. The reasons why our finances are where they are have been discussed in minute detail on hundreds of threads.

You wont be getting the best ever squad signed this summer. You wont be getting a title winning team of 27 year olds, all signed in June.

We never have and we never will. So try support those that we do sign. You never know it might make you happy.

You made your point a long time ago.
And then again.

And again.

And again.

I was hoping (overly optimistic, I know) that this discussion can at least go on hibernation when the transfer window closes. Then I remembered we are non-league and there is no window. :Sorry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back