• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reg Martin

No Relation
I know I will probably get slaughtered for saying this but I need to get it off my chest - I felt uncomfortable with the level of abuse dished out to Hughes and Ricketts on Saturday.
I know this type of thing has been common at grounds up and down the country from the 70s at least (and probably well before too), and I'm not making these comments because I in anyway sympathise with these two individuals.
I've also got nothing against a bit of banter or humour at matches but I don't feel that personal abuse of individuals (or for that matter of opposing fans) gives a good impression of us as a group of fans.
As well as supporting the team I feel I am there representing the club and the town as well and IMO the best way to do that is to get behind the players rather than abusing the opposition.
Given how many Shrimpers joined in the abuse on Saturday I know I am probably in a small minority but would be interested to know if anyone else felt the same.

ps on a unrelated note does anyone know if Col U fans do the 'Essex, Essex' chant up north too as we often often seem to do it in response to our Yorkshire Blues contingent

Last edited:
Lee Hughes is a murdering scumbag... Deserves everything he gets In my opinion.

I know I will probably get slaughtered for saying this but I need to get it off my chest - I felt uncomfortable with the level of abuse dished out to Hughes and Ricketts on Saturday.
I know this type of thing has been common at grounds up and down the country from the 70s at least (and probably well before too), and I'm not making these comments because I in anyway sympathise with these two individuals.
I've also got nothing against a bit of banter or humour at matches but I don't feel that personal abuse of individuals (or for that matter of opposing fans) gives a good impression of us as a group of fans.
As well as supporting the team I feel I am there representing the club and the town as well and IMO the best way to do that is to get behind the players rather than abusing the opposition.
Given how many Shrimpers joined in the abuse on Saturday I know I am probably in a small minority but would be interested to know if anyone else felt the same.

ps on a unrelated note does anyone know if Col U fans do the 'Essex, Essex' chant up north too as we often often seem to do it in response to our Yorkshire Blues contingent

Mate.............don’t ever feel like you should not say how you feel. Good on you for standing up and saying how you feel even if it is unpopular.

As for the abuse towards Hughes, i have my views that i don’t want to share on the boards.

As for Ricketts i see nothing at all wrong with verbally abusing that fat lazy tw*t.

Lee Hughes....I would love to drive into him and walk off to leave him to die...

An eye for an eye in my opinion...People are left to grieve their loved ones, while hughes prances about on a football pitch, doing what he loves to do most( well, apart from drink and drive).. Call that justice!!

Hughes took a man's life and robbed a family of a loved one... so I'm not bothered if he gets hurled verbal abuse of the strongest nature. Nothing compared to what the scum bag did.

I thought it was rather sad how for most of the first half we directed our energy at Lee Hughes, and the team (SUFC)

As for what got said in the 1st post about the amount of fans who joined in - what most of the kids at the back who join in anything that gets sung. like "your worth then a pedo" that was sung by a member on here and thought that was rather sick

also as for Lee Hughes being a murderer - i thought he was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving and leaving the scene of the crime - (bit difference to murder) Just try and think what would go though your mind if you just hit another car rather hard - Would you run? as i prop would. also other crimes you get given time to pay and your out in half the time its life,dont here people on here talking about them

As overseas shrimper said "Nothing compared to what the scum bag did" dont here us banging on about other crimes others that have been let out early ................no we dont

its not Lee Hughes fault that the English law is pony and he was let out early - he just trying to get on with life and do what he does for a job - just the familys gotta move on just like we all do when death happens.

Mate.............don’t ever feel like you should not say how you feel. Good on you for standing up and saying how you feel even if it is unpopular.

As for the abuse towards Hughes, i have my views that i don’t want to share on the boards.

As for Ricketts i see nothing at all wrong with verbally abusing that fat lazy tw*t.

I agree, fair play to you for airing your opinion.

Hughes situation is understandably leaving a lot of people uncomfortable & is not just part of the usual terrace banter.

As for the abuse Ricketts got, serves him feckin well right for putting no effort whatsoever into resurrecting his career & expecting an easy ride.
Fat b'stard that he is.

Last edited:
also as for Lee Hughes being a murderer - i thought he was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving and leaving the scene of the crime - (bit difference to murder) Just try and think what would go though your mind if you just hit another car rather hard - Would you run? as i prop would. also other crimes you get given time to pay and your out in half the time its life,dont here people on here talking about them

I don't think there's any doubting that he was irresponsible to drink drive, and whether it was panic or not, to leave the scene.

However, can everybody that was abusing him honestly say that they have never had a couple of pints, and then driven? Not neccessarily a skinful, but enough to be over the limit (and therefore a "drink driver")?

If any of them have then they could well have been unlucky and had an accident, as could any sober driver. If this were to happen, could they guarantee they'd not panic?

I'm not defending his actions, for he was definitely in the wrong, just attacking this "holier than thou" attitude that seems to be prevalent in society these days.

I thought it was rather sad how for most of the first half we directed our energy at Lee Hughes, and the team (SUFC)

As for what got said in the 1st post about the amount of fans who joined in - what most of the kids at the back who join in anything that gets sung. like "your worth then a pedo" that was sung by a member on here and thought that was rather sick

As overseas shrimper said "Nothing compared to what the scum bag did" dont here us banging on about other crimes others that have been let out early ................no we dont

its not Lee Hughes fault that the English law is pony and he was let out early - he just trying to get on with life and do what he does for a job - just the familys gotta move on just like we all do when death happens.

And the opinion of many might be different if it was a member of their own family that Hughes' car hit and killed?

Death by dangerous driving is rarely a fair sentence anyway.

Not sure its possible to defend the actions of leaving one person to die and another seriously injured. After all, if there was nothing to hide (ie being over the drink/drive limit maybe) why run only to hand yourself in the following morning. Accidents happen.

And remember, the victims family will suffer for the rest of their lives. I doubt Hughes will!

Yes, a man who killed someone then callously drove off and a fat ******* who effectively robbed our club of ££££££s, ruined our Championship plans and assisted our relegation should have had their favourite meals cooked for them by the travelling Shrimpers. What a bunch of bounders we are! :thump:

To be perfectly honest i don’t know a lot about the case and what happened which is why i don’t want to comment but what i do know is i think the guy that dies was a family man with young children although i might be wrong. And as we were chatting with Tilly after the game we saw him walk past going home with his family, he had a young 4 to 5 year old girl with long ginger hair and she was happily bouncing along...........it did make it hard to stomach as he walked past, thinking of the poor children of the man that died

I guarantee there will not be a day that goes by that Hughes will not think of the people he killed! There could be a million discussions as to what punishment he should/shouldn't have got but he has served his time. I am sure that the family of the people killed just want to get on with their life, I cannot even think how much pain the family must be in. I am not defending his actions in anyway shape or form but personally I think to abuse someone for something like that is wrong, end of.

I'm of the opinion that he deserves all he gets but after reading Aberdeen Shrimpers post it has muddied the waters a little as his wife and daughter would have probably witnessed the chants but although he was drunk it is widely reported he was high on drugs too and this wasn't reflected in his sentence.If any of us were convicted of drink driving it would have a dramatic effect on our lives but Lee hughes is a convicted criminal and has walked into a 80,000 pounds a year job.

its not Lee Hughes fault that the English law is pony and he was let out early.
Correct. However, last time I checked England was still a place that allowed freedom of speech too.

Lee Hughes is a murdering scumbag... Deserves everything he gets In my opinion.
IMO correct again. Also IMO, driving while over the alcohol limit is like carrying a loaded gun. Imagine if it was your family. English law is a joke, and unless the country sorts itself out then you will start getting things like this happening....

An eye for an eye...
And IMO when someone only gets 3 years for taking away someone elses life so cowardly then revenge attacks will rapidly increase, rightly or wrongly.

Has Ricketts settled his (alleged) outstanding bill with the club ?

As for Hughes, I'm inclined to agree with Einstein. I would go further and DOUBLE the tariff for death (not manslaughter) caused by negligence due to drugs, drink, mobile phones etc. Drinking and driving is premeditated despite weak arguments to the contrary.

I am very impressed by the thread starter though and I too reserve his right to question the behaviour.

Can I just clarify something? Hughes' conviction was for causing death by dangerous driving. However, no reports I read suggested that he was over the alcohol limit or had taken drugs, which have been reported on this thread. I'm not suggesting that makes Hughes any less accountable for his actions but I think we should stick to the facts (though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I have to say I admire Teeside Shrimper's stance. I'm not a big fan of abusing opposing players either, especially as it often spurs them on to play better. For me it's a waste of energy and I'd much rather channel mine into supporting my team instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back