• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Abuse on the streets

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
I do a lot of cycling and it has occurred to me that I get a lot of abuse whilst out and about.

Recent examples:

Car passenger shouting the C word at me on Southend Seafront

Half a can of Lager thrown from a car on Canvey.

Drunken tattooed lout jumping in front of me and making dog barking noises on Hadleigh Country Park.

In all these examples I was either on a cycle path or cycling off road.

Dies anyone else receive this sort of abuse or should I just accept that maybe I am a C word and bring it on myself?

Cyril, these others are the c***s; you my friend are out doing something positive while they are wallowing in their own poor self image and wanting others to feel as ****** as they are.
For a a runner the "knees up Forrest" etc are equally aggravating as are many other shouts and pseudo distasteful behaviors of too many of the spectator "do nothing" brigade.
For similar reason scouts, army cadets etc suffer from these fools witty banter.
Lots of society is in the gutter and seems to want to stay there and take others in there too.

I've been abused when riding my push bike, I've been abused as a pedestrian by cyclists, I've seen motorists abuse cyclists and I've seen pedestrians abuse cyclists. In all cases none of the abused have deserved it, but there you go, there is a hardcore minority of w*****s out there unfortunately. Luckily these events are reasonably rare (outside of London).

Cyril, these others are the c***s; you my friend are out doing something positive while they are wallowing in their own poor self image and wanting others to feel as ****** as they are.
For a a runner the "knees up Forrest" etc are equally aggravating as are many other shouts and pseudo distasteful behaviors of too many of the spectator "do nothing" brigade.
For similar reason scouts, army cadets etc suffer from these fools witty banter.
Lots of society is in the gutter and seems to want to stay there and take others in there too.
This, never understood the need to shout abuse/"banter" at strangers on the street who are doing nothing wrong.

Mind you, the exception is cyclists on the seafront who don't use the cycle lane with no explanation, they are doing something wrong and deserve the abuse.

This, never understood the need to shout abuse/"banter" at strangers on the street who are doing nothing wrong.

Mind you, the exception is cyclists on the seafront who don't use the cycle lane with no explanation, they are doing something wrong and deserve the abuse.

Unfortunately, whilst they would be safer in the cycle lane, they are not breaking any laws or byelaws by cycling on the main public highway.

A surprising number of pedestrians step straight into the cycle lane without checking for cyclists, especially around Adventure Island.

You have to be very careful....

Di you see the article in the Evening Echo the other week when a woman in her disabled car/go kart got hit by a cyclist while crossing the cycle lane on the seafront. It was all made out how wrong the cyclist was for going to fast in the cycle lane. Well I'm sorry but I witnessed that accident and the old lady didn't even bother looking when crossing the cycle path.

Unfortunately, whilst they would be safer in the cycle lane, they are not breaking any laws or byelaws by cycling on the main public highway.
I think that's almost the most frustrating thing about it! I understand when the cycle lane is packed with kids and things like that and they've briefly gone into the road to get past, but those who cycle in the road less than 1m from a deserted cycle lane are just inconsiderate.

A surprising number of pedestrians step straight into the cycle lane without checking for cyclists, especially around Adventure Island.

You have to be very careful....
Seen that happens a few times, the whole 20mph zone is a mess and probably worst for cyclists, and during the summer it's an accident waiting to happen most of the way between the Arches and that zone.

Riding on the canal towpath up here can be a bit tricky sometimes. Fishermen with stupidly long rods think they have a right to sprawl out, I've had a few dogs go for me (I suggest that dogs living on barges are a bit less well behaved than their non watery counterparts), not to mention that nobody (British Waterways?) want to cut back the undergrowth so you end scratched to ferk by brambles.

I was out for a jog (alone) a while back and running the other way were the Hemel Stags rugby league team.

As I passed them, one of them shouted at me "you ain't got no fans", this being at the height of the short-lived 'Wealdstone Raider' craze.

Given that they average crowds of under 200 that didn't seem to be that clever a heckle really.

I do a lot of cycling and it has occurred to me that I get a lot of abuse whilst out and about.

Recent examples:

Car passenger shouting the C word at me on Southend Seafront

Half a can of Lager thrown from a car on Canvey.

Drunken tattooed lout jumping in front of me and making dog barking noises on Hadleigh Country Park.

In all these examples I was either on a cycle path or cycling off road.

Dies anyone else receive this sort of abuse or should I just accept that maybe I am a C word and bring it on myself?

Stop wearing a Col U shirt whilst cycling.

I was out for a jog (alone) a while back and running the other way were the Hemel Stags rugby league team.

As I passed them, one of them shouted at me "you ain't got no fans", this being at the height of the short-lived 'Wealdstone Raider' craze.

Given that they average crowds of under 200 that didn't seem to be that clever a heckle really.

You should have asked them if they wanted some, they would have liked that.

I think it is an even bigger insult to think that anyone outside of a couple of grimy Northern ****holes gives a f**k about rugby league.

Riding on the canal towpath up here can be a bit tricky sometimes. Fishermen with stupidly long rods think they have a right to sprawl out, I've had a few dogs go for me (I suggest that dogs living on barges are a bit less well behaved than their non watery counterparts), not to mention that nobody (British Waterways?) want to cut back the undergrowth so you end scratched to ferk by brambles.

Maybe don't cycle there...

Maybe don't cycle there...

Ah, but on the whole it's a lovely cycle through a town that is denigrated for it's "concreteness". The canal may be filthy, but it's chockablock with wildlife and I'm not playing avoid the HGV lorry. MK has cycling "red routes" but like an American city, it's not made for walking.

I would put it down to the country and area you live in and if some one dishes out abuse why the feck are you not tapping out a morse coded message on the culprits face.

In any walk of life you will get anti social idiots who like to verbally abuse people. There are stretches of Southend Seafront which are more prone to it, especially during the summer months when the day trip numbers are higher. I don't think it is a serious problem for the town though.

I would put it down to the country and area you live in and if some one dishes out abuse why the feck are you not tapping out a morse coded message on the culprits face.

That would be too easy.

I'll pay them back when they least expect it.

I wasn't allowed to take GCSE Chemistry because I only recognise the element of surprise.......

Back