• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Academy manager Ricky Duncan to expand his role at Southend United

Duncan remains the academy manager at Roots Hall.

But Blues chairman Ron Martin has revealed Duncan is now also playing a part in the first team set-up.
“Ricky Duncan’s role has been expanded and he is to shadow all signings, not just with the academy but also at senior level now,” said Martin.
“It means I have a further view, although the final decision rests with the manager”

This is good news in my opinion, a little bit more experience into the mix.

This has been in play for a little while now. My source let me know a couple months back when he first told me about Ricky Duncan pulling in favours at Arsenal, as seen in old posts below.

I have been really warming to MM lately, it's hard not to, maybe I am reading too much into it but I do think it's a slight issue that MM is not really in charge of transfer policy of his own squad. Maybe Mark just prefers coaching and likes this dynamic? Who knows. Interesting nonetheless.

Not to start the MM agenda again because I have been enjoying the *slight* progress we have been making but does Molesley actually have a say in transfers?

From what I gather Ron had big influence in signing Sam Hart, Macca and Akinola. Now we're being conveniently linked with Mohsni.

MMs only singings are Kyle Taylor, ANG, Hobson and Sterling.

Olayinka was actually done to Ricky Duncans credit, due to his close contacts at Arsenal. MM even admitted at much himself.

Not sure where I am going with this, but something very worrying that our transfer policy is mainly being conducted by Ron. I pray to God that MM isnt a yes man that will roll over.

MM when Olayinka was signed kept saying stuff like that "got to to thank the 'team' here for that one" "He's been well identified to us"

So I then asked around to a fellow on here and someone else who I know associated with the club and had it confirmed that Ricky Duncan pulled in a favour at Arsenal.

For Simeon Akinola, Ron knows his agent very well. (Hence the persistent Darren Currie rumours for Southends last two manager vacancys) Both have done work with Catalyst Sports Management

Hmm..not sure what to make of that.
Just hope MM (and head of recruitment Anton Robinson) are both on board with the decision and are happy to allow some additional input.

This is quite a common set up in football now, most clubs have in effect a committee that will review all aspects of a transfer and provide their feedback on the individual, it’s quite public that Liverpool have this set up as do Bayern Munich and many other clubs. Gone are the days where the “manager” signs the players. I believe Peterborough also have a similar set up as Darragh talks about this on this hard truth podcast how he has his own scouts and will present to the manager in a committee basis and they then analyse the data and look at potential and future sale potential as we’ll immediate impact, it’s just moving with the times with regards to structure. I do think RD is the person RM has eluded to before when he has said about having someone in mind for the CEO role, and this is a probably part of that transition into the role without taking RD away from the Academy at the moment as again we would need someone learning from RD if not already doing so to be primed to move into that role when the time is right.

Also remember a number of targets historically have been u23s from bigger clubs or recently so. Ricky Duncan has a lot of contacts as players develop through the academies and probably has a lot of insight about who the right signings are. And contacts to get loans we wouldn't otherwise get. If he offers this then it makes sense to be involved in the overall transfer policy as the approach needs to be "joined up".

Last edited:
Back