• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Academy to expand into Chelmsford

As someone heavily involved in local grassroots this is great news. For years loads of talented youngsters in local grassroots have been missed and gone elsewhere. Essex is a huge talent pool. Cast that net wide. It’s the future of the club.

I’ve had loads of lads in my teams go to Colchester, Charlton, West Ham, Millwall etc rather than Southend over the years as they simply have not been looked at or been invited into the SUFC setup.

As someone heavily involved in local grassroots this is great news. For years loads of talented youngsters in local grassroots have been missed and gone elsewhere. Essex is a huge talent pool. Cast that net wide. It’s the future of the club.

I’ve had loads of lads in my teams go to Colchester, Charlton, West Ham, Millwall etc rather than Southend over the years as they simply have not been looked at or been invited into the SUFC setup.
When I used to play Sunday football in my teens I don't ever recall seeing people from Southend watching tournaments and games.

We did have Millwall and WHU at some but I was always shocked SUFC weren't on the lookout.

The irony grows even more when some of these games were on pitches in Southend, one being next to Boots and Laces.

Yeah, I’d have probably gone more for somewhere like Thurrock rather than Chelmsford but it’s good to see the Academy being proactive.

Agreed, our U-18's play in East London, where kids from Hackney and Walthamstow are regularly scouted by the likes of Norwich and Peterborough.....why not Southend United ?!?

We need to expand our catchment area, its so competitive out there. It won't please Chelmsford City Football Club having our tanks on their lawn but we have to put up with W---H---m and others on our patch.

When I lived in Malvern Burger Star was the only game in town if you fancied a burger.

McDonalds opened up on an out of town retail park and within months Burger Star were no more.

Chelmsford City are Burger Star.

UPDATE - looks like they are still going in Cheltenham....

I assume this is boys only and not girls as well?
Don’t think we have an official girls team do we? Thought the Southend United Ladies team is affiliated but not official? Doubt we’d run an academy for that?

Last edited:
Idea on the academy: every season each club enters a side into a league which runs alongside the main one. For example every team in the Vanarama. Before the actual games the academies play on the proper pitch

So if we play maidenhead next season, our youth play them before the game say a midday kickoff. Could boost crowds and encourage people to watch

Or even expand half time to 30 mins and have a mini game then

Idea on the academy: every season each club enters a side into a league which runs alongside the main one. For example every team in the Vanarama. Before the actual games the academies play on the proper pitch

So if we play maidenhead next season, our youth play them before the game say a midday kickoff. Could boost crowds and encourage people to watch

Or even expand half time to 30 mins and have a mini game then
How many punters would skip two hours of drinking to watch a match they could probably play in?

We need to expand our catchment area, its so competitive out there. It won't please Chelmsford City Football Club having our tanks on their lawn but we have to put up with W---H---m and others on our patch.
I have a lad who plays for Chelmsford city under 11s. It is a great club, great facilities, with superb people running the youth side of things. Being a Southend fan I'd have loved to get Dylan in this team if it wasn't for the fact that he has done so well at City and I can see what a great environment it is. Its a great idea setting up the Chelmsford shaddow squad, think it is one we will have to be patient with though. Do we know what league the shaddow squad are proposing to go into? Brentwood seems to be the best, Dylans city team are in Brentwood and whenever we play a friendly against a Chelmsford league or Blackwater and Dengie team we absolutely hammer them.

I have a lad who plays for Chelmsford city under 11s. It is a great club, great facilities, with superb people running the youth side of things. Being a Southend fan I'd have loved to get Dylan in this team if it wasn't for the fact that he has done so well at City and I can see what a great environment it is. Its a great idea setting up the Chelmsford shaddow squad, think it is one we will have to be patient with though. Do we know what league the shaddow squad are proposing to go into? Brentwood seems to be the best, Dylans city team are in Brentwood and whenever we play a friendly against a Chelmsford league or Blackwater and Dengie team we absolutely hammer them.
The Shadow squad will play full Academy teams and Shadow Squads from the EPL/EFL. Perhaps EJA sides on occasion. They won’t be playing against your typical Sunday league Mini/Junior teams.

Back