• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
The man in charge tomorrow is experienced referee, Andy Haines from Tyne and Wear.

He referees this fixture for the second year running, having sent off Cresswell (not unreasonably) in last season's drawn match.

This is his seventh season as a League referee, although we had seen little of him for nearly four years before last year's trip to Accrington - just the Bury away Cup match earlier that season.

Just as well, some might say bearing in mind he awarded five penalties against us in just four matches, the penultimate of which was laughable.

In that drawn Cup match he cautioned Phillips and a couple of theirs.

Previous to that we actually ran out 2-1 winners at Peterborough in 2008/9 and notwithstanding the penalty decision his performance was poor, especially in the first half. Just one caution for us - goalscorer JFC.

In the same season he did the defeat at Carlisle. Two cautions for us (3 for them) - JFC and Robson-Kanu.

The year before that he took charge of our away win (3-1) at Crewe with again a couple of cautions - Mulgrew and Francis.

So despite the penalties we haven't got a bad record with him.

This season he has done 17 matches with below average yellows (45) and well above average reds (8).

His two assistants will be scouser Peter Wright and mackem Billy Khatib with Michael Salisbury from Penwortham (which, of course, is near Preston)carrying out 4th Official duties.

Mick...keep up the good work. Always a good read.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind...

I notice you state where the officials are from. Do you think Brendan Rodgers had a fair point when he mentioned the fact their referee against Man City was from "Greater Manchester" ?
Also, what did you think of Francoms red card at Wimbledon ?

Mick...keep up the good work. Always a good read.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind...

I notice you state where the officials are from. Do you think Brendan Rodgers had a fair point when he mentioned the fact their referee against Man City was from "Greater Manchester" ?
Also, what did you think of Francoms red card at Wimbledon ?

Yes .... and no.

He didn't have a problem when last year's City v Liverpool match was refereed by an official from Greater Manchester, but they didn't lose that one. The geographical constraints should be made public knowledge ... is it postcodes, counties, distance? Don't forget some parts of Greater Manchester are nearer to Anfield than to the Etihad.

I don't personally like Lee Mason as a referee and that inexperienced lino who flagged for the crucial offside that wasn't, shouldn't have been on that game. Rodgers has reason to be a bit aggrieved with the officials, in my opinion, but not because of where they come from.

I thought Francom's red card was harsh and unnecessary.

These are always interesting pointers as to the ref, however JCR and HRK were never strong in the tackle or rough so I am interested in what he "favours" giving cards for? Back chat? Shirt pulling? Etc

These are always interesting pointers as to the ref, however JCR and HRK were never strong in the tackle or rough so I am interested in what he "favours" giving cards for? Back chat? Shirt pulling? Etc
Christophe, not Campbell-Ryce. Jeff could certainly tackle quite hard at times.

Who else thinks it would be interesting for the FA to publish the assessment marks the referees are given by their assessors?

I think it's unlikely they would publish the entire assessment reports (detailing constructive criticism and points to work on, for instance) as I think that might be a little too close to the bone and would simply give players and fans more material to lambast the refs with week in, week out.

It's interesting that certain refs have "reputations" for being strict on particular things. If I was a ref, I think mine would be breaking the game down, refs are far too lenient on players who delay the taking of free kicks and also midfield fouls which actually prevent a good attack.

Who else thinks it would be interesting for the FA to publish the assessment marks the referees are given by their assessors?

Interesting (to some) but inappropriate.

The ref had a reasonable game, booking for kicking ball away. Lino on main stand made a few close offside calls and a few odd throw in judgements.

The ref had a reasonable game, booking for kicking ball away. Lino on main stand made a few close offside calls and a few odd throw in judgements.

And that's exactly some why people think it's inappropriate to disclose the substance of assessment reports. I can tell you from similar experience that the post-match de-briefs are rarely if ever "you got this, that, or the other wrong". Officiating is rarely black and white, it's about how and why you arrive at the judgements you did. Can you be sure you had a better view than the lino on the main stand side for all those "odd" decisions?

Officiating a game is all about getting yourself in the right position to give yourself the best chance of having the best view possible at all times, at the same time as managing the players, and where you can't using your team mates (the linos and fourth offical) to make sure the right outcome is arrived at. There's a lot of skill and technique that goes into that, and it's the development and use of those skills that officials development is about, and what is therefore the focus of de-briefs and assessments.

However, being able to view the marks referees get would be helpful for fans to recognise the progress referees have made, and how their team fits into the grand schem,e of things. Perhaps if the league were also to divulge the priorities associated with the appointments (i.e. Southend v someone else in the top 6 or 7 would be deemed a higher priority than a mid-table clash, because the teams are higher up the table), alongside the assessment marks, we'd get a picture of whether we're getting the referees we 'deserve'.

If Mr T kettle was the 33rd best referee available, and we were the 33rd most important game of the day, then it would stand to reason that, like him or lump him, Mr T Kettle is who we deserve to have refereeing our games.

Not me. When I do listen to the radio or see Match of the Day, a large percentage of the talk is all about the referees. For goodness sake, give it a rest. The time would be far better spent talking about players who do not follow the rules and why they try to cheat (and are not punished for doing so).

Ref and linesmen yesterday were fine - and partly because the players (on both teams) weren't being silly.

Back