• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Refs and linesman have a diffulcult job at the best of times,they give decisions in a mili second whilst players try to con them !

I thought they all did their job on Saturday,nothing special but Defo not as bad as some say Imo.

Absolutely agree. It is a thankless job.

I guess though, that it's easier to blame them for our frustrations than to blame the team.

I thought the ref was excellent.

Was willing to let a football game breakout rather than trying to play a tune on his whistle.

As we lost I'll be in a minority on that though.

Refs and linesman have a diffulcult job at the best of times,they give decisions in a mili second whilst players try to con them !

I thought they all did their job on Saturday,nothing special but Defo not as bad as some say Imo.

I have got to agree with Mrs Blue.
He missed as many free kicks for us as against us.
He was consitant he did not want to hold the game up, played advantage very well, but did not like giving free kicks to either side. Poor but fair

As much as I enjoy Mick's ref previews, I also would welcome a post game critique by Mick or another qualified ref... would that be possible?

Suppose the one where the guy has climbed all over Thompson was a leveller for the clothes line Thommo did in the first half, or the two handed grapple move where he threw the other player to the floor...and also the countless times he would shove someone in the back just before he would win a header.

The lad gets away with so much and we have a cheek to moan...and yes I was moaning also out of desperation!

As much as I enjoy Mick's ref previews, I also would welcome a post game critique by Mick or another qualified ref... would that be possible?

I thought the referee was nothing like as bad as suggested by many (not all). It was not the easiest of games to referee - a scrappy match when possession was regularly given away and a lot of bobbles and poor bounces on a surprisingly poor pitch (have we cut back on the ground staff?).

He obviously decided on a tactic of minimum intervention and he was clearly only going to blow for fouls if absolutely necessary. Those who have said he was "soft on Accrington" were right but he was also soft on us too - but of course that goes unnoticed by most. Would it have been a better match if he'd doubled the free-kick count? Unlikely.

Yes, there were a few mistakes but not significantly more than usual and a couple of decisions which seem to upset the crowd most were correct. Cassidy does foul (and get fouled) quite a bit and as for the handballs claimed (including the one drilled hard at a player lying on the ground) I'm not sure I spotted anything deliberate.

I think he refereed in an even-handed way and was not to blame for defeat; I would lay that blame elsewhere.

Overall I thought an average performance and slightly overdid the "laissez faire" approach.

I didn't think the officials were any better or worse than normal!
Heard someone comment at half time about them being more physical,which they were(Accy)
Prefer a Ref who tries to let the game flow! Certainly the result had nothing to do with the officials.

I thought the referee was nothing like as bad as suggested by many (not all). It was not the easiest of games to referee - a scrappy match when possession was regularly given away and a lot of bobbles and poor bounces on a surprisingly poor pitch (have we cut back on the ground staff?).

He obviously decided on a tactic of minimum intervention and he was clearly only going to blow for fouls if absolutely necessary. Those who have said he was "soft on Accrington" were right but he was also soft on us too - but of course that goes unnoticed by most. Would it have been a better match if he'd doubled the free-kick count? Unlikely.

Yes, there were a few mistakes but not significantly more than usual and a couple of decisions which seem to upset the crowd most were correct. Cassidy does foul (and get fouled) quite a bit and as for the handballs claimed (including the one drilled hard at a player lying on the ground) I'm not sure I spotted anything deliberate.

I think he refereed in an even-handed way and was not to blame for defeat; I would lay that blame elsewhere.

Overall I thought an average performance and slightly overdid the "laissez faire" approach.

Thanks very much Mick, I must admit I thought he let the game flow really well and barely noticed him for the first 20 mins or so. As you say, a few mistakes and he did seem to be the same for both teams. I remember one occasion where Binnom-Williams was the last man and just seemed to foul the AS player who otherwise would have been clear on goal... nothing given there yet on another day with another ref, possibly a red card.

I think we can all be guilty of seeing the game through blue favoured eyes and the referee is always a total **** unless he awards us a penalty or disallows their goal (well, you know what I mean).

It certainly wasn't the ref's fault we lost.

on a surprisingly poor pitch (have we cut back on the ground staff?).

Slightly off tangent, but what exactly are the youths in luminous jackets supposed to be doing at half time when they come on with the forks....one more senior guy seems to go round attempting to replace divots, whilst 3 or 4 kids just stand in the same place chatting to each other randomly poking the ground with their fork every now and again?

Last Saturday's referee, Mick Russell, has just been appointed to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final at Wembley.

I'm sure he'll do a better job than Nigel Miller did in our one.

No doubt about it,refereeing is a difficult task,but this cannot disguise the fact,Mick,that nearly all the ones we see at the Hall are fairly hopeless.This one decided he wanted to let the game flow but pretending not to see blatant fouls-by both teams-is frankly unacceptable.
In contrast,running the line is not at all difficult but you have to ask where they find some of the cretins we witness.Twice on Saturday Stanley were awarded throws after one of their men was standing right in front of the Lino when he kicked the ball off.
The best refs are the ones you don't notice.Last nights ref at Canvey was good-and anonymous-no programme issued!

No doubt about it,refereeing is a difficult task,but this cannot disguise the fact,Mick,that nearly all the ones we see at the Hall are fairly hopeless.This one decided he wanted to let the game flow but pretending not to see blatant fouls-by both teams-is frankly unacceptable.
In contrast,running the line is not at all difficult but you have to ask where they find some of the cretins we witness.Twice on Saturday Stanley were awarded throws after one of their men was standing right in front of the Lino when he kicked the ball off.
The best refs are the ones you don't notice.Last nights ref at Canvey was good-and anonymous-no programme issued!

He was Lloyd Wood from Dagenham. Friendly matches are usually easy to referee. One-sided matches are usually easy to referee. One-sided friendlies are therefore even easier! He normally referees at about Conference South level and has had his share of controversy.

Lol. Just Lol.

"Running the line is not that difficult". Lol. Have you ever run one. I mean properly. Running the line is way harder than reffing. Complete different skill set, total and utter concentration, sprinting ability at least equal to the fastest player on the pitch and able to spot decisions where inches count.

"fairly hopeless". To get to the point of middling a Football League game you've had to come all the way from the park level, via at least seven promotions, of which the last five are under constant assessment. This promotion system is based on you being better than everyone else. There are currently around 50 refs at ESL level, at a maximum two will get promoted. And if at any stage you don't cut the mustard, you get demoted back to where you came from.

I listen to some right old **** week in week out, from people who seem to think they know what they are talking about. And I read even more total bollocks here. Whilst I know ref bashing is part of the fun of going to footy; if you want to have a go, at least learn some basics.

I can tell you, with two exceptions, the management at SUFC don't have any issues with any decisions made this season by officials. The exceptions were the penalty at Bury, where even the assessor couldn't work out why it wasn't given (and neither could the ref when he saw the video) and the 4th Official at Oxford.

"Running the line is not that difficult". Lol. Have you ever run one. I mean properly. Running the line is way harder than reffing.

I agree, I much prefer refereeing to running the line, and it is worth noting Zeuss that deflections off shins/offsides, whereby the offending player is right on top of you, are the hardest to detect.

Lol. Just Lol.

"Running the line is not that difficult". Lol. Have you ever run one. I mean properly. Running the line is way harder than reffing. Complete different skill set, total and utter concentration, sprinting ability at least equal to the fastest player on the pitch and able to spot decisions where inches count.

"fairly hopeless". To get to the point of middling a Football League game you've had to come all the way from the park level, via at least seven promotions, of which the last five are under constant assessment. This promotion system is based on you being better than everyone else. There are currently around 50 refs at ESL level, at a maximum two will get promoted. And if at any stage you don't cut the mustard, you get demoted back to where you came from.

I listen to some right old **** week in week out, from people who seem to think they know what they are talking about. And I read even more total bollocks here. Whilst I know ref bashing is part of the fun of going to footy; if you want to have a go, at least learn some basics.

I can tell you, with two exceptions, the management at SUFC don't have any issues with any decisions made this season by officials. The exceptions were the penalty at Bury, where even the assessor couldn't work out why it wasn't given (and neither could the ref when he saw the video) and the 4th Official at Oxford.

you don't need to question my extensive knowledge of and commitment to football at all levels and I get no enjoyment whatsoever watching poor officialdom ruining so many matches.Although I am an ultra-loyal Blues fan I recognise a lot of dreadful decisions going in our favour too.
I don't really care how hard it might seem for refs to get promoted as,even at the top(Prem. Lg.)the refereeing standard in this country is pathetic-continental referees we see appear significantly better,so clearly it has a lot to do with recruitment and basic training.One big step forward would be to use as many as possible former players instead of the recruits from the army,the police force etc. that we have to put up with.

Lol. Just Lol.

I agree with the above. I played football at a fairly decent level for years yet never once did i ever get booked for dissent ( plenty for bad tackles though! ) ... the reason is RESPECT> I had and do have respect for one bloke to put his neck on the line to allow the game to go ahead, getting abuse from both teams and supporters almost continuously, very often without any justification. OF course i appeal loudly when one of our players gets tripped in the box but you will never hear me shouting abuse . Sadly in certain fields of life people feel its ok to treat others like something the dog has left behind. Im talking about the bullies who rollock the poor fella with the whistle at a train station when a train is cancelled or a policeman just doing his job. The bullies here are more than likely the same ones that troll others on social media venting their spleen whilst remaining in hiding. It all boils down to respect or the lack of it in society.

The ref on saturday wasnt to blame in anyway shape or form -- it was our players not playing decent football.
Simple as that. :raspberry:

Back