• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Accrington Stanley 1-2 Southend United

lovely set up by Hopper to Kelman and a great srike ...

Goodship shows a good understanding of League One refereeing with his decision to go down

Absolute peach of a finish from Kelman, at last someone who can strike a ball properly.

I've rated Goodship all along, intelligent player and showed that today

A bit off topic but I decided to trawl accross the leagues to see how far down i'd have to go to find another side doing as badly as us. Actually not too far, Bradford PA are bottom of the NL North (6th tier) on 13 points, played 27. Same points, played one game more. So sort of worse than us. Another contender is Stranraer in the Scottish L1. 12 points but only played 20 games. Still, made me feel slightly better that there are other senior clubs out there in similar situations! I'll get my coat.

COYB!
Here’s my ratings (wasn’t at the game but tuned in to ifollow so I think I could give a fair rating)
Oxley- 9 MOTM. So much better recently. Maybe we don’t need a new keeper after all?
Bwomono- 5. Contrary to Ox, bwomono has been poor recently. Feel he could have done better for their goal but think top put him at centre half was a mistake
White- 7. Decent. Rarely plays awfully.
Kiernan- 7. Much better again, looks more comfortable and solid.
Demetriou- 8. Got stuck in, great to see him so good from the spot aswell.
Milligan- 6. You know the score with him. Wasn’t his worst performance though by any means.
Mantom- 8. Starting to become fan of the lad. He’s working so much harder under Sol which is great to see going forward.
Goodship- 8. Very good. Did we’ll winning the penalty and worked hard throughout. Please don’t put him at full back though!
Macca- 7. Up and down like a yoyo. Works hard and gives his all every week.
Hopper- 8. Another good performance from him. Assisted Kelman well for the goal and did what he needed to do.
Kelman- 9. Wanted him to start for weeks and hopefully he does now. He scores goals for fun if we can we’ve him and he’s got the hunger we need.

Note- Humps can go. Might get some slack for saying that’s but he needs to get a grip at times.
Great player, but you won’t ever make it “big” in football unless you are dedicated to it and work as hard as you can, whether your winning losing or drawing. He may have a good career but we don’t need him. Don’t hate the lad - I’ll never hate him after he kept us up.
Also, Sol is really having an effect. We are much harder to beat which is all I can ask for. Really hope Dieng isn’t out for too long as he has been immense recently.
COYB lets keep this unbeaten 2020 going.

SOL Campbell is refusing to give up on Southend United’s hopes of survival after securing his first League One victory with the Shrimpers.

More...

What a good feeling towake up on a Sunday morning and read about a Southend victory,im sure i wll have a smle on my dal all day and walk around the place here weaing my Southend shirt

Oxley needed time out the side, as he wasn't exactly on great form himself. Maybe that is what has helped get his form back

Or maybe the thought that he's playing for a move? Remember, a majority of us wanted him out too.

Or maybe the thought that he's playing for a move? Remember, a majority of us wanted him out too.

He still needs to go in the summer - we need a clear out. It’s in all their interests to play with a bit of pride and put themselves in the shop window. Well done Ox.

COYB!
Here’s my ratings (wasn’t at the game but tuned in to ifollow so I think I could give a fair rating)
Oxley- 9 MOTM. So much better recently. Maybe we don’t need a new keeper after all?
Bwomono- 5. Contrary to Ox, bwomono has been poor recently. Feel he could have done better for their goal but think top put him at centre half was a mistake
White- 7. Decent. Rarely plays awfully.
Kiernan- 7. Much better again, looks more comfortable and solid.
Demetriou- 8. Got stuck in, great to see him so good from the spot aswell.
Milligan- 6. You know the score with him. Wasn’t his worst performance though by any means.
Mantom- 8. Starting to become fan of the lad. He’s working so much harder under Sol which is great to see going forward.
Goodship- 8. Very good. Did we’ll winning the penalty and worked hard throughout. Please don’t put him at full back though!
Macca- 7. Up and down like a yoyo. Works hard and gives his all every week.
Hopper- 8. Another good performance from him. Assisted Kelman well for the goal and did what he needed to do.
Kelman- 9. Wanted him to start for weeks and hopefully he does now. He scores goals for fun if we can we’ve him and he’s got the hunger we need.

Note- Humps can go. Might get some slack for saying that’s but he needs to get a grip at times.
Great player, but you won’t ever make it “big” in football unless you are dedicated to it and work as hard as you can, whether your winning losing or drawing. He may have a good career but we don’t need him. Don’t hate the lad - I’ll never hate him after he kept us up.
Also, Sol is really having an effect. We are much harder to beat which is all I can ask for. Really hope Dieng isn’t out for too long as he has been immense recently.
COYB lets keep this unbeaten 2020 going.
Agree about humphreys. He's cut slack cos of that goal and our terrible midfield etc. But he needs to fulfil his potential soon.

I watched the stream of the game and can we just talk about how great Sam Barratt’s cameo was??? Yes he should’ve scored the one on one, but his whole 15 minutes was incredibly impressive and even more so when you think about what he’s coming back from.

So in the last 6 games we’ve had 3 penalties, our first I think since Cox’s against Pompey last Feb .. our first clean sheet since 21st Sep .. if we get that first home win of the season then the confidence will be even higher. Kelman and Hopper leading the line, Barratt looking good, Mantom/Demi and Macca on form, ok defensively we’re still a worry but we’ve now gone 4 games without conceding more than 2. We’re no longer a total pushover. It really puts into perspective how shocking that year was .. poor team spirit, poor management, but no negativity from me this morning .. it feels good to be a Southend fan today. And it kinda makes up for the home game back in September which was absolutely awful, worlds apart from yesterday.

Last edited:
So in the last 6 games we’ve had 3 penalties, our first I think since Cox’s against Pompey last Feb .. our first clean sheet since Bradford (a) last Jan .. if we get that first home win of the season then the confidence will be even higher.

We got a clean sheet against MKDons in September, but I agree 100%

My thoughts on the first half watching on ifollow are in the match thread, but we were lucky to be level, there was too much space in the middle and we were too deep.

2nd half was much better, we pushed up 10 yards, gave Accrington less space and limited them to a few half chances.

We should of got a third to be honest as they were leaving gaps at the back.

Oxley first half kept us in it.
Macca got up and down well.
Milligan did ok.
Great finish from Kelman, signs of a partnership with Hopper.
Barrett was outstanding in his 20 mins and turned the tide.
Goodship drifted in and out, but did well when involved.

Shame we haven’t got a game for 10 days and also at somewhere we never win.

I hope Dieng isn’t out for long, we are so lacking in Centre Backs.

Lets enjoy being unbeaten for at least 27 days this month.

We got a clean sheet against MKDons in September, but I agree 100%

My thoughts on the first half watching on ifollow are in the match thread, but we were lucky to be level, there was too much space in the middle and we were too deep.

2nd half was much better, we pushed up 10 yards, gave Accrington less space and limited them to a few half chances.

We should of got a third to be honest as they were leaving gaps at the back.

Oxley first half kept us in it.
Macca got up and down well.
Milligan did ok.
Great finish from Kelman, signs of a partnership with Hopper.
Barrett was outstanding in his 20 mins and turned the tide.
Goodship drifted in and out, but did well when involved.

Shame we haven’t got a game for 10 days and also at somewhere we never win.

I hope Dieng isn’t out for long, we are so lacking in Centre Backs.

Lets enjoy being unbeaten for at least 27 days this month.
You know what ... I totally forgot about MK!!! I’ll edit my post. Agreed let’s enjoy it in what’s been nothing but a negative season. Hopefully Dieng will be back soon as you say but I’m most encouraged by the form of the senior players who seem to be raising their game and by Kelman and Barratt who I think have a great future.

Back