• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
Firstly, for the mods, I am not asking for anything illegal - I have the licence for the disks I need and all the software on them.

I have an Acer Aspire laptop, 7520 series, and the hard drive has crashed. It is supposed to be possible to recover from this using the "hidden" recovery partition, but when I try the laptop gets as far as the first splash screen and then hangs. Does anyone have one of these and can they make me the recovery DVD's? I have been on to Acer, and they want to charge me £50 to send them to me in two weeks time from Germany. I am happy to pay for them, but £50 for software I have already bought is just a joke

RANT!

NEVER EVER BUY AN ACER! This has to be the worst laptop I have ever bought, and very nearly the worst thing full stop. I have had nothing but trouble with it, and the "technical support" and "repairs" they offer are risible. The design is simply not fit for purpose - the touch pad for the screen pointer is so shallow and badly positioned that even they admit that it is almost impossible to touch type without brushing it and moving your cursor to some random part of the document to the extent I had to buy a wireless keyboard to use it, and the DC jack is so vulnerable that I have had to have three new power supply plugs in just over a year. The build quality is pathetic - eg keys fall off and try getting them replaced! Frankly I would rather go to PC world, and that is saying something!!!

:headbang: :madman:

Firstly, for the mods, I am not asking for anything illegal - I have the licence for the disks I need and all the software on them.

I have an Acer Aspire laptop, 7520 series, and the hard drive has crashed. It is supposed to be possible to recover from this using the "hidden" recovery partition, but when I try the laptop gets as far as the first splash screen and then hangs. Does anyone have one of these and can they make me the recovery DVD's? I have been on to Acer, and they want to charge me £50 to send them to me in two weeks time from Germany. I am happy to pay for them, but £50 for software I have already bought is just a joke

RANT!

NEVER EVER BUY AN ACER! This has to be the worst laptop I have ever bought, and very nearly the worst thing full stop. I have had nothing but trouble with it, and the "technical support" and "repairs" they offer are risible. The design is simply not fit for purpose - the touch pad for the screen pointer is so shallow and badly positioned that even they admit that it is almost impossible to touch type without brushing it and moving your cursor to some random part of the document to the extent I had to buy a wireless keyboard to use it, and the DC jack is so vulnerable that I have had to have three new power supply plugs in just over a year. The build quality is pathetic - eg keys fall off and try getting them replaced! Frankly I would rather go to PC world, and that is saying something!!!

Bad times mate.

Do what i done.....get one for nothing from Freecycle!

;)

RANT!

If teh hard drive has crashed then the partition (which is only a part of the HDD ) is propably not accessible either ! £50 sounds more like data recovery , never heard of any one charging that to send you out recovery disk's ??? You could propably find a copy of the ISO (cd image ) online !

If teh hard drive has crashed then the partition (which is only a part of the HDD ) is propably not accessible either ! £50 sounds more like data recovery , never heard of any one charging that to send you out recovery disk's ??? You could propably find a copy of the ISO (cd image ) online !

£50 is a rip off. If they had said £20 I'd have been aggrieved but I would probably have paid, but £50 for something that should have been with the laptop from new is crooked. Been looking online but no luck so far. Am resorting to emailing ebayers who are selling 7520's in the hope that one will take pity on me and burn me the disks.

RANT!

Bought an acer 3 years ago and had no problems whatsoever using it as we speak

RANT!

Bought an acer 3 years ago and had no problems whatsoever using it as we speak

I'm sure that the majority of them tick along fine, but my experience of their "support" when things do go wrong means that I will never buy one again.

Back