• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Adam Barrett - Contract

shrimpled

Director⭐
No, he hasn't gone anywhere.

Does anyone else think that the rejection of these contracts has anything to do with Barrett's new deal? 4 and a half years so substantial security so very rare in the lower leagues, on what i gather to be a very good wage. I would argue that Barrett although an inspirational leader and great servant to SUFC is not as good as any of the 3 who have been listed. I heard from somebody that a clause in Barrett's contract means he will be on the same wage as the highest earner at the club so has Ron maybe lowered what he will pay some players? Has anyone else heard this? I hope this makes sense and that nothing is libellous.

I'd be very surprised if that clause was true. I've got no idea what Adam is on, wage-wise but he's never been spoken about as being our top-earner.

Personally, as I said in another thread, I rate Barrett far higher than Peter Clarke, and I trust him more than I trust Simon Francis too.

That thought has crossed my mind & as I said at the time the news of Barrett's new deal came out I was slightly concerned at the effect this would have on our bargaining power with other players.

Whilst good players individually Barrett and Clarke never convinced me as a pairing. Clarke going maybe a blessing in disguise.

No, he hasn't gone anywhere.

Does anyone else think that the rejection of these contracts has anything to do with Barrett's new deal? 4 and a half years so substantial security so very rare in the lower leagues, on what i gather to be a very good wage. I would argue that Barrett although an inspirational leader and great servant to SUFC is not as good as any of the 3 who have been listed. I heard from somebody that a clause in Barrett's contract means he will be on the same wage as the highest earner at the club so has Ron maybe lowered what he will pay some players? Has anyone else heard this? I hope this makes sense and that nothing is libellous.

Not sure about this clause, but I wouldn't be at all surprised it Barrett's new contract brought him on level-ish terms with Maher who I think was the highest earner before he left. Barrett has now assumed the role that Maher had before he left, so it would make sense to me.

I'd be very surprised if that clause was true. I've got no idea what Adam is on, wage-wise but he's never been spoken about as being our top-earner.

Personally, as I said in another thread, I rate Barrett far higher than Peter Clarke, and I trust him more than I trust Simon Francis too.

No but he is on a good wage of that i know, and as club captain now it wouldn't surprise me if he was in a highest wage bracket. Although i think Clarke is the better defender i'd sooner have Barrett in the side. Simon Francis i'm a big fan of and i doubt he'd be in the top wage bracket but his agent wants to get him there. Francis is improving and i really hope he is here next season.

Barret bleeds Blue and gives a 100% so in my eyes deserves it if its true, but I don't think this would hamper any deals put on the table for any other players.

The playoffs are full of teams who loose their best players when it comes to the end of the season, but at least our management team have got time to sort ot out...
Ipswich were top of the Championship and looking forward to the Prem, when they blew it and lost in the play offs and lost four top quality players because of it, but they had little money to spend and a youth policy which helped them to sustain their level. I'm sure this will be our case!

Whilst good players individually Barrett and Clarke never convinced me as a pairing. Clarke going maybe a blessing in disguise.

That's my thinking too. Get a big, commanding centre-half in with the £200k we'll hopefully get for Clarke and I think we'll be in a much stronger position.

I think I'd be half tempted to get Lewis Hunt back if Francis is going. I know many didn't like him but he's a solid right-back and if Francis won't be here next season then we could do worse.

Barrett is the club captain, if that doesn't warrent being the highest earner then what does. He leads the team out, he wears the armband, he is the skipper. Club captains should be up there with the highest earners.

Agred hazey. My point is that Bailey think he's our best player, which IMO he is. Is he asking for more than or to be level Barrett but Ron only wants to pay big money to one player etc.

To be honest Bailey has warrented to be up there near Barrett this season.
However after reading the OS it seems within a year Bailey is expected us to DOUBLE his salary, he will be lucky if he gets anywhere near double.

To be honest Bailey has warrented to be up there near Barrett this season.
However after reading the OS it seems within a year Bailey is expected us to DOUBLE his salary, he will be lucky if he gets anywhere near double.

Bailey may be the best player, but Barrett deserves that pay as he is a decent player, no not the best, but he is loyal, passionate and gives everything he has got when he is on the field. He plays almost every position on the pitch when the other players dont turn up and chips in regularly with goals. If ever a player was deserving of being rewarded then it's Barrett and you would never hear him kicking up a stink. Legend.

I would argue that Barrett although an inspirational leader and great servant to SUFC is not as good as any of the 3 who have been listed.
Big question is did he ask for as much as Bailey ?

Bailey by all accounts wanted to double his money, I bet Barrett didnt.

Can we make it a board requirement that from now on when people say they have info from "a reliable source" they give the "reliable source"'s job title?

I know half of the fun of these boards is about rumour and speculation but when I read that there is a clause in a centre backs contract that he will be on the same money as the highest paid player at the club for 4 years even I , the eternal optomist becomes worried.

I think if people are allowed to post under false names on a public forum they should at least have to back their statements up just a little bit.

all the best

Back