• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Generally, when a club agrees to sell their top goalscorer, you can expect a certain reaction from the supporters. It tends to range from anywhere between frenzied phonecalls to the local radio station and furious protests against the chairman in the carpark. Occasionally, in really serious circumstances, shirts will be burned in the street, which is never a good idea as those 'futuristic' fibres give off the kind of smoke that could blind everyone within a five mile radius. Oddly though, that hasn't been the case this week as Arsenal prepare to offload Emmanuel Adebayor.

In fact, the only emotion I've noticed from the fans was an email I received from an Arsenal-supporting friend about an hour before writing this column. "Oh my God," it read. "It won't fall through, will it?" A quick scurry around the messageboards revealed numerous like-minded sentiments. They can't wait to see the back of their Togolese top scorer and I don't entirely blame them.

Adebayor has never been quite as good as he seems to think he is. His goalscoring record prior to his arrival in England was so appalling that you wonder what on earth it was that caught Arsene Wenger's attention. It is a credit to the Frenchman's judgement that he managed to spot the raw potential that was lurking under the unfavourable statistics. Adebayor is fast, comfortable with the ball on either foot, powerful in the air and strong enough to be a handful for any defender. Unfortunately, he lacks the shark-like awareness of Didier Drogba, the killer instincts of Fernando Torres and has all the positional sense of a corner flag. It's like no-one has ever taken the time to explain the offside law to him. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen a back-line step up to leave Adebayor scratching his bottom and staring at the floodlights, oblivious to the fact that he's five yards off-side.

Arsenal fans could have put up with his strategic limitations, but they couldn't accept it when he started to consider himself bigger than the club. It wasn't his place to describe the team as going 'backwards', especially as he only scored in three of Arsenal's first 15 league games, a run that took in all five of those critical defeats. He shouldn't have encouraged the flirtations of AC Milan either. In Wenger he had a manager who could mould him and improve him. He had Champions League football. What was he looking for in Italy? Well, we all know the answer to that, don't we?

I really don't think Arsenal will miss him at all. His performances in the last campagin could best be described as 'sporadic' and the last thing a dressing room needs is someone who obviously doesn't want to be there. Wenger is reported to be tracking Marouane Chamakh, the spearhead of French champions Bordeaux, and he would be an ample replacement. Dominant in the air and capable of the kind of nod-ons and flicks that can open up space for the quicker front-men, he'd fit right in at The Emirates. Failing that, Wenger still has Nicklas Bendtner to lead the line, a striker yet to fulfill his undoubted potential. Given that Arsenal will make an enormous profit on Adebayor, as well as freeing up some cash in the wage-bill, it's little wonder that the only thing scaring the fans about this deal is the possibility that it might not go through.

My boss is neighbours with Pat Rice. As an Gooner he hears some decent things. Rice told him that the morale at the camp is much better, now he might go, and that Arshavin looks a lot fitter. Also, yes he might have scored a hatful, but given the number of chances he had...no great loss.

My boss is neighbours with Pat Rice. As an Gooner he hears some decent things. Rice told him that the morale at the camp is much better, now he might go, and that Arshavin looks a lot fitter. Also, yes he might have scored a hatful, but given the number of chances he had...no great loss.

this year is the year of the RVP... he might be a rapist, but he's a class act and I think with Ashavin in the 2nd striker role he'll be the perfect foil

Bellamy, Benjani, Tevez, Santa Cruz, Robinho, Caicedo, Bojinov, Jo, Evans... **** it lets spend another 60 odd million on a half decent striker:stunned:

Jo's been shipped up the Mersy to Everton on loan, pretty sure Caicedo's either out or on his way out, and personally I'd ship out Bellamy, Benjani and Bojinov.

They really do need to start thinking about selling.

Although, I do know which team I'm going to start with on FM10 when it comes out.

I have never liked Adebayor and I have always thought that Van Persie offered more. If RVP could stay fit for a season then it would be a joy to behold.

I have never liked Adebayor and I have always thought that Van Persie offered more. If RVP could stay fit for a season then it would be a joy to behold.

Van Persie is still only 25 and big strikers like him tend to come good in their mid-twenties... this is definitely his season, what was patently obvious was that he couldn't play alongside Adebayor, and that he needs a worker alongside him. Ashavin or Eduardo will be the perfect partner for him, and with Fabregas and Nasri behind they really are the dark horses this season (hence why i've backed them for the league)

good old wikipedia:

"Van Persie is a keen admirer of US President Barack Obama, and tries to copy his demeanour."

That must be why RVP's such a little tossbag.

he'd batter the **** out of you!

0fe7289a6327b9bbb15980d58db1a928.jpg

Generally, when a club agrees to sell their top goalscorer, you can expect a certain reaction from the supporters. It tends to range from anywhere between frenzied phonecalls to the local radio station and furious protests against the chairman in the carpark. Occasionally, in really serious circumstances, shirts will be burned in the street, which is never a good idea as those 'futuristic' fibres give off the kind of smoke that could blind everyone within a five mile radius. Oddly though, that hasn't been the case this week as Arsenal prepare to offload Emmanuel Adebayor.

In fact, the only emotion I've noticed from the fans was an email I received from an Arsenal-supporting friend about an hour before writing this column. "Oh my God," it read. "It won't fall through, will it?" A quick scurry around the messageboards revealed numerous like-minded sentiments. They can't wait to see the back of their Togolese top scorer and I don't entirely blame them.

Adebayor has never been quite as good as he seems to think he is. His goalscoring record prior to his arrival in England was so appalling that you wonder what on earth it was that caught Arsene Wenger's attention. It is a credit to the Frenchman's judgement that he managed to spot the raw potential that was lurking under the unfavourable statistics. Adebayor is fast, comfortable with the ball on either foot, powerful in the air and strong enough to be a handful for any defender. Unfortunately, he lacks the shark-like awareness of Didier Drogba, the killer instincts of Fernando Torres and has all the positional sense of a corner flag. It's like no-one has ever taken the time to explain the offside law to him. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen a back-line step up to leave Adebayor scratching his bottom and staring at the floodlights, oblivious to the fact that he's five yards off-side.

Arsenal fans could have put up with his strategic limitations, but they couldn't accept it when he started to consider himself bigger than the club. It wasn't his place to describe the team as going 'backwards', especially as he only scored in three of Arsenal's first 15 league games, a run that took in all five of those critical defeats. He shouldn't have encouraged the flirtations of AC Milan either. In Wenger he had a manager who could mould him and improve him. He had Champions League football. What was he looking for in Italy? Well, we all know the answer to that, don't we?

I really don't think Arsenal will miss him at all. His performances in the last campagin could best be described as 'sporadic' and the last thing a dressing room needs is someone who obviously doesn't want to be there. Wenger is reported to be tracking Marouane Chamakh, the spearhead of French champions Bordeaux, and he would be an ample replacement. Dominant in the air and capable of the kind of nod-ons and flicks that can open up space for the quicker front-men, he'd fit right in at The Emirates. Failing that, Wenger still has Nicklas Bendtner to lead the line, a striker yet to fulfill his undoubted potential. Given that Arsenal will make an enormous profit on Adebayor, as well as freeing up some cash in the wage-bill, it's little wonder that the only thing scaring the fans about this deal is the possibility that it might not go through.

I think Adebayor is probably the new Viduka. I can't workout why Man City would want him. He's one of those players who never looks like being bothered in enough games for his team to win a title. Sure, he'll score 15-20 goals but he has far too many games off to be a top player.

The only bit I'd take exception to is comparing Drogba's awareness to that of a shark. Sharks have pretty poor eyesight and in my experience often swim around oblivious to divers before getting spooked. If you want to use a shark metaphor or similie, I'd suggest using it relating to power or acceleration.

The only bit I'd take exception to is comparing Drogba's awareness to that of a shark. Sharks have pretty poor eyesight and in my experience often swim around oblivious to divers before getting spooked. If you want to use a shark metaphor or similie, I'd suggest using it relating to power or acceleration.

They can smell blood from, like, miles away! That's pretty aware, isn't it?

magnus_magnusson_1.jpg

"Today on Mastermind...

chair.jpg

we have Yorkshire Blue, all the way from... London!

yorkshire%20blue.jpg

and his chosen subject is Sharks!

shark.jpg

Question 1.

Is Didier Drogba like a shark?"

Yorkshire Blue - "No"

Back