• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
Well, that's it, bar a Man Ure like resurgence in the second half which is extremely unlikely from this bunch. At the end of the day we simply weren't ready for the Championship. We didn't have enough players, or at least enough with the capability to compete in the Championship with the necessary effectiveness. Statistics don't lie: we're the 23rd best team in the division - and in danger of finishing 24th - and no matter how many times the win over Manchester United or the quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur is rolled out, we've simply not been good enough over the whole season. How will we cope in League One next season? If the board and management don't do their homework then any hopes of a play-off spot at the very least are sadly misplaced. We've paid for our inability to compete on and off the pitch; let's not let it happen again.

Adios Championship ...

it's been fun!

im sure we'll be back soon with much more experience and hopefully a core of league 1 players.. not league 2 ones!

The squad needs to be reshaped whilst keeping a few integral members...

Keep hold of Flahavan, Barrett, Clarke, Francis, Maher, Macca and JCR and i do think we'll do alright next season. Obviously Freddy is gone, Prior retires and I wouldn't be surprised if Hammell and Gower went as well.

Personally, i reckon we should say Goodbye to -

Hunt: I just don't see it sometimes and his attitude is **** poor.
Bradbury: He's not a forward as long as I've got 2 legs attached to my body.
Sodje: Has shown his coming of age since Christmas and i think there are better people out there.

Rebuild the squad around the centre core of players that have actually performed this season and we'll do well next season. And for F*ck Sake Tilson, Buy the players at THE BEGINNING of the transfer window... Not the night before the first f*cking game... That way they might actually have a chance to settle and adapt without serious pressure and we won't end up with £250k players out on loan at League One Clubs like we have this season.

I have loved every minute of this season! Just remember, staying in this division would have been a huge acheivement! I do feel that if a few things had gone our way we could have beaten the drop, but we didnt and thats that! I am feeling really down atm, but am beginning to think; what does it matter?! Most fans will be back next season and I for one will be renewing my season ticket for the fourth year running! Be it against Birmingham or Orient I will support my team no matter what! Yes it was nice to see some of the better stadiums/teams but the thing that means the most to me is watching my team!

SOUTHEND TIL I DIE!!

Just had a quick look and it's the games against the bottom teams that's done us. No points Barnsley, Hull, one against Leeds and Luton. I can't say I've enjoyed every minute of the season but I'll never forget the Man U games. Chin up everyone, worse things happen at sea.

Disagree with the needing to get rid of hunt, he is a very good league 1 player and with Prior retiring and Sodje probably going soon, we need options in defence. Gower probably wont go, he loves the club, but he has got the class to play in the championship.

Yes the management need to do there homework in pre season players wise! Mccormack should shine next season with maher jcr and gower around him, we will have probably the best midfield if it stays like that. Lets just look at strikers now.

The squad needs to be reshaped whilst keeping a few integral members...

Keep hold of Flahavan, Barrett, Clarke, Francis, Maher, Macca and JCR and i do think we'll do alright next season. Obviously Freddy is gone, Prior retires and I wouldn't be surprised if Hammell and Gower went as well.

Personally, i reckon we should say Goodbye to -

Hunt: I just don't see it sometimes and his attitude is **** poor.
Bradbury: He's not a forward as long as I've got 2 legs attached to my body.
Sodje: Has shown his coming of age since Christmas and i think there are better people out there.

Rebuild the squad around the centre core of players that have actually performed this season and we'll do well next season. And for F*ck Sake Tilson, Buy the players at THE BEGINNING of the transfer window... Not the night before the first f*cking game... That way they might actually have a chance to settle and adapt without serious pressure and we won't end up with £250k players out on loan at League One Clubs like we have this season.

According to the PA feed on Sky Sports:

OUTHEND ARE RELEGATED

Poor buggers, I feel sorry for that team.

next season

keepers - keep flavs, collis more than capable (could even give flavs a run) and welsh seems to be progressing well

defence - spinner retiring, not sure sodje will get a new contract so need to look at 1 maybe 2 new centre backs, or 1CB and 1LB/CB because hammell could well go. I reckon we might keep wilson and we should definitely keep hunt

midfield - same 4 as usual... foran and bradders will be useful and the moose will come on leaps and bounds. might be worth looking for some muscle and maybe ledgister could make the step up as some serious pace will be needed

forwards - hooper will probably shine, and lawson could be useful with ademeno on the bench... fred will be off so our 4 'senior' players will be harrold, bradbury, foran and paynter, so IMO we need to look at reinvesting our money for freddy into maybe 1 or 2 strikers (if we decided to get rid of lawson or another)

i think in the end we dont need to increase the size of our squad... just need a couple of sensible and experienced signings... maybe a young CB

fingers crossed we can keep clarke and hammell

All i can say is ron martin puts money where his mouth is forget the new staduim! We need a stronger team and atleast 25 + players in that squad who will mount a decent challenge. The table doesn't lie at all we at the end of the day wasn't good enough to stay up! I'd trade in that win over man united to be in the Championship next season. Well expect Eastwood to go the goal against man united was his 1 way ticket to a premiership club. All i can say is we better bring in some talent or we won't be moving up in to the championship again. its not an excuse wage bills are to high just clubman to scared to put the money on the table.

Hope we go straight up next season.

All i can say is ron martin puts money where his mouth is forget the new staduim! We need a stronger team and atleast 25 + players in that squad who will mount a decent challenge. The table doesn't lie at all we at the end of the day wasn't good enough to stay up! I'd trade in that win over man united to be in the Championship next season. Well expect Eastwood to go the goal against man united was his 1 way ticket to a premiership club. All i can say is we better bring in some talent or we won't be moving up in to the championship again. its not an excuse wage bills are to high just clubman to scared to put the money on the table.

I think Ron has got his priorities right, pretty much. We woulnd't survive in the Championship for long withou the new stadium. I remember all too clearly what happened last time we tried to buy success, and it was nearly the ruination of the club. We were within an hour or so of being wound up at one point. Never again.

All i can say is ron martin puts money where his mouth is forget the new staduim! just clubman to scared to put the money on the table.

We spent a million this year + wages.

I think has put his money where his mouth is AND got us a new stadium.

But the very future of Southend United is intrinsically linked with a new stadium. Without it, there might be no football club is five years time. Our problem this season has been a lack of depth in our squad. Martin, Tilson (and Brush) need to holds their hands up and admit they cocked up in the transfer market. I don't think it was down to capital, simply down to lack of experience in the field.

Oh, and Eastwood is a long way from the Premiership!

"Whats meant to be, is whats meant to be."

Was at the game..bitterly dissapointed.

To upset to speak. :(

Also, was I the only person who shred a tear when prior walked round at half time? :(

We spent a million this year + wages.

I think has put his money where his mouth is AND got us a new stadium.

Million on what exactly nothing of any good!

We are down simply because we haven't got the resources of funding for wages to bring in higher class players.

I see what you mean but i don't see any point in having a fantastic staduim if we haven't got a good enough team to go places.

Million on what exactly nothing of any good!.

Thats not the point, you said he had to put his money where his mouth was, he did.

We are down simply because we haven't got the resources of funding for wages to bring in higher class players.

Thats indeed the case....

I see what you mean but i don't see any point in having a fantastic staduim if we haven't got a good enough team to go places.

And you cant get the team to go places until you have a stadium and resources to be able to buy the players you just said we havent got the resources for!

Thats not the point, you said he had to put his money where his mouth was, he did.

Thats indeed the case....

And you cant get the team to go places until you have a stadium and resources to be able to buy the players you just said we havent got the resources for!

All im sayin is we need a good team with a good staduim we need to fill that staduim, To be able to pay for wages. We can't have a half decent team turn up and get 10,000 from a 22,000 seater. The million was wasted abit on players who haven't provided for us this year.

James "Bambi on Ice" Lawson is most definitely not the answer... He couldn't even break into a Conference, albeit top of the table, Side, so how he is going to realistically compete with League One Players who should realistically be looking at a top 6 finish?

Bradbury isn't a striker, and I'm remain to see a flash of what Brush sees in Harrold, so our forward line next season consists of Hooper, Paynter and Foran... Lets hope we get some serious cash from Eastwood.

25 + players you are having a laugh we are not Chelsea!!

We certainly can forget about a new stadium as we would be playing on Priory Park in the essex Senior league if we had to pay the wages of all those players.

Back