• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rabbloke

Coach
You may have guessed that I am a west country exile but I do get to as many games as I can and never miss the commentaries. I do not however spend very much time in the town of Southend which got me thinking about the old days. I used to go to every game, home and away and still would if I could and will do again when I move back this summer. I digress. I once lived at the top of Bohemia Chase. More often than not I used to walk down Woodcutters Avenue and at the bottom on the other side of the road used to be an old scrap metal merchants. There was an advertising hoarding outside which had a poster giving details of Southends next home game. Probably 6' x 6'. It was this that first got my interest in the team. For years I would pass it, read it and think ' I will go to the match one day'. Then circa 1973 I went to a match, which incidentally we lost, and have been hooked ever since. Does the club still put such posters around the town and if not, would it not be something worth doing and something that SZ members could organise?

Thanks for that TrueBlue. I am glad it has continued. The area I spoke of, geographically is well out of town as you probably realise. Does the advertising go that far?

well I have seen a shop in Rochford with a poster and of course I pinned one up in the Spa in Hockley till some West sham support took it down without my knowledge
mad.gif

There used to be posters on the A127 by Laindon and I spotted one or two at Liverpool Street when I used to work in the City (together with one or two Col Ewe posters) ...

WS

Thats all good to hear. By the by, the game I first went to was Brighton at home, friday 12th of April 1974. Just dug out the old programmes. We lost 2-0. The season was all but over then and we finally finished 12th and Brighton 19th. Yet the crowd was 9772. Makes the turn out against Scunny, when we are doing so well, seem a bit below par. Seriously though its great to see so many coming back and that the advertising continues.

And there are also now posters in many shops in benfleet advertising the next home game which is nice to see - about time too!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Feb. 13 2005,11:02)]well I have seen a shop in Rochford with a poster and of course I pinned one up in the Spa in Hockley till some West sham support took it down without my knowledge
mad.gif
Big Les did it !

biggrin.gif

I see the odd poster at Wickford railway station ... plus Betterviews shop in Town has a massive SOUTHEND UNITED poster which makes me smile
smile.gif

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (essexgirl @ Feb. 13 2005,12:25)]And there are also now posters in many shops in benfleet advertising the next home game which is nice to see - about time too!!
Are there?
rock.gif

I live in Benfleet and have never seen any!

cool.gif

Well, just to bring me up to speed, does anyone feel that the local media, Echo etc, do enough to promote the team?. Do they carry enough news, interviews, archive articles, offers in conjunction with the club or campaigns for the new ground? I know in the old days they disappointed me and the on-line effort is poor.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Feb. 13 2005,12:43)]Well, just to bring me up to speed, does anyone feel that the local media, Echo etc, do enough to promote the team?. Do they carry enough news, interviews, archive articles, offers in conjunction with the club or campaigns for the new ground? I know in the old days they disappointed me and the on-line effort is poor.
The Echo are far too busy concentrating on west ham.

The Club has 500 poster sites around the borough and surrounding areas and we are now looking to move into Basildon, Rayleigh, Castle Point, Hockley and beyond.

We also have posters on every C2C plat form and on all Ariva buses as well as on all ONE trains.

We also have a weekly ad in the Yellow Advertiser and when we have Family days etc... they are promoted through Essex FM.

No-one is questioning the advertising, personally Scriv I think you do a fantastic job promoting the club. i think people just want the club to cash in on the good vibe going round right now and rightly so. Just thinking back a few years, didn't we once sell home shirts in local sports shops? I know we can't fill our own club shop!, but maybe that wouldn't hurt as something for the future?

Not having a go just informing where we advertise.

Of course if anyone owns a business locally or knows of another site where we could put posters let us know and we will get one there.

Back