• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As you can probably guess by my name and several posts I've made I'm Stevenage fan. Ticket details have been confirmed for the return leg at your place (we only get 900 which raised an eyebrow for me) and me and my girlfriend hope to purchase our tickets tomorrow.

We do however have a few questions.

Firstly and perhaps most importantly as its my girlfriends first ever away match and with recent issues with a few of your fans at the Morecambe game and other matches this season (I assume the troublemakers are in the 1% that every club have) we have questions about what areas to avoid and whether we should keep our colours under wraps until inside the stadium. We'll be travelling in by train to Southend Victoria station and plan to spend a little time down by the front before the game. Does anyone know any particularly good chippies and pubs along there and on the way to the ground (which pub do away supporters tend to frequent?)? Also what are food prices like at Roots Hall in case we decide to eat inside the ground?

Finally if anyone has any other advice it would be great :smile:

Looking forward to welcoming you our place this Sunday :smile:

As you can probably guess by my name and several posts I've made I'm Stevenage fan. Ticket details have been confirmed for the return leg at your place (we only get 900 which raised an eyebrow for me) and me and my girlfriend hope to purchase our tickets tomorrow.

Firstly and perhaps most importantly as its my girlfriends first ever away match and with recent issues with a few of your fans at the Morecambe game and other matches this season (I assume the troublemakers are in the 1% that every club have) we have questions about what areas to avoid and whether we should keep our colours under wraps until inside the stadium. We'll be travelling in by train to Southend Victoria station and plan to spend a little time down by the front before the game. Does anyone know any particularly good chippies and pubs along there and on the way to the ground (which pub do away supporters tend to frequent?)? Also what are food prices like at Roots Hall in case we decide to eat inside the ground?

Have a look at the Football Grounds Guide on the Internet, superb read.
If you have won the first leg avoid any eye contact with natives, and keep together:smile:

Southend is a great place and a great club you should be fine in colours the mindless thugs u refer to ain't fans are fans are loyal and friendly. A good place to eat is the fish house just outside the ground

Firstly and perhaps most importantly as its my girlfriends first ever away match and with recent issues with a few of your fans at the Morecambe game and other matches this season (I assume the troublemakers are in the 1% that every club have) we have questions about what areas to avoid and whether we
should keep our colours under wraps until inside the stadium. We'll be travelling in by train to Southend Victoria station and plan to spend a little time down by the front before the game. Does anyone know any particularly good chippies and pubs along there and on the way to the ground (which pub do away supporters tend to frequent?)? Also what are food prices like at Roots Hall in case we decide to eat inside the ground?

Advice in finding the away stand, follow your nose

If your girlfriend loves the smell of stale urine / fried onions and loves essex boy banter, she's in for one heck of an evening at the roots

Christ has it come to this? We're a friendly club mate, despite a few ********s.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. She's kind of nervous considering this will be only her 6th match. Actually got her first ever Stevenage scarf yesterday, takes me back to when I was just a little-un and my first colours haha

Welcome to the ground - she doesn't look her best anymore but who would after so many years of neglect as we are moving to a new ground "very soon" (and repeat for the last 20 plus years).

We have a number of idiots I'm afraid - and they don't have the character to deal with losing - and that is common with many clubs but unless you are very, very unluckly you will not have any trouble from the Southend fans - many will be like me and welcome away fans to add to the atmosphere and enjoyment of a sporting contest.

Check out the usual sites for pubs but the fish shop near the ground is as good as any - facilities inside the ground for away fans are, I understand, limited due to the lack of investment in a ground we are leaving "any day".

Finally, I hope you both have a good day - you can get the train back from Prittlewell - check out the timetable first.

MK is right, we are friendly. Seafront is probably a couple of miles from the ground, but if you're getting off at Victoria, just head straight down the High Street. Not many pubs about in the High Street these days, couple of good chip shops though, particularly in Queens Road (by the Post Office on the right as you head down). It's a good place to get them as you head back as you'll finish eating them by the time you get to the ground!

The Blue Boar is the traditional away fans pub, there is also Bar Vic in Victoria Avenue, both are quite near the ground. Just off the High Street is Varsity (behind where Nat West is) and O'Neills (by River Island) and also the Last Post (a Wetherspoons, just opposite the main entrance to Southend Central Station). There's a few others including a Slug and Lettuce near the top of the High Street (to the left, by the Underpass).

Thanks rattus, in my experience at away games the home fans are almost always welcoming. The only trouble I've encountered was a few years back at Mansfield but managed to avoid it luckily.

And I'm sure no matter how old and run down your ground might have become the away can never be as bad as the one at Exeter haha

We're a good bunch mostly. But there's a few people who can't take losing. To answer your questions:

1. Don't worry about wearing colours;
  2. All the pubs in Southend are friendly to away fans with the exception of The Spread Eagle and The Railway which you won't come into contact with if you head towards the sea front;
  3. Do NOT, under any circumstances, eat food inside the ground. Eat before or go hungry, either are preferable options. Unless of course you blow a 3 goal aggregate lead and want to top yourself.

All the best!

If you're heading to the seafront and want a nice sit down fish supper before the match then head for the Fishermans Wharf restaurant which is very close to the pier (which is itself right at the bottom of the High Street).

http://www.fishermanswharfsouthend.co.uk/

If fish is not to both parties taste then as an alternative try Henry Burgers which is just off the main High Street and very close to the seafront as well. I'd recommend booking in advance if you do as it's very popular and you may have to wait for a table.

http://henryburgers.co.uk/

As others have suggested, I wouldn't bother eating in the ground.

Are the burgers in the ground that bad? I have this thing about trying a burger at every ground I go to (Even St Albans City with their mystery meat haha).

Van Looys a few doors up from the Last Post opp Southend Central Station is the best fish and chip shop in Southend by far .

What happend to the two tits that used to sit in the Upper South that no one liked .

Are the burgers in the ground that bad? I have this thing about trying a burger at every ground I go to (Even St Albans City with their mystery meat haha).
The catering in the ground had a food hygiene rating of 0 for a while. Cardboard would be preferable to the "meat", and they don't do onions!

Enjoy your visit, no need to worry about safety at all, a handful of idiots making a reputation for themselves but no threat to away fans, especially down the seafront as most of the dodgy lot will be in the pubs around the ground.

To be fair the pukka pies are ok. Even our caterers struggle to ruin them. Although the last one I had at the Tranmere game did **** the plastic fork so don't dive in too quick..

Back