• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very sad that this needs to even be discussed.
The guys girlfriend is obviously nervous , and whilst nobody can 'guarantee' safety at any event where large numbers congregate , I for one am still very confident that the majority of our fans are extremely friendly and welcoming.
We are a family club and a few over zealous idiots should not be allowed to change that image.
What I would add though , us that mood and reaction is often tempered by the importance and outcome of games.
Quite simply , win and all will be fine.
Lose and some of the kids will throw their dummies.
Come and enjoy.

We're a good bunch mostly. But there's a few people who can't take losing. To answer your questions:

1. Don't worry about wearing colours;
  2. All the pubs in Southend are friendly to away fans with the exception of The Spread Eagle and The Railway which you won't come into contact with if you head towards the sea front;
  3. Do NOT, under any circumstances, eat food inside the ground. Eat before or go hungry, either are preferable options. Unless of course you blow a 3 goal aggregate lead and want to top yourself.

All the best!

small point, but the railway normally allows in away supporters There were certainly Luton supporters in colours in the garden with no issues at all --- which is what I would expect.

As others have said, rightly or wrongly its a real shame that the OP and his gf have got concerns about coming to roots hall.

In all fairness we are a friendly club with little history of violence or trouble. Much of the trouble down at Roots Hall is often caused by visiting fans and unfortunately of late there has been a bit. However, i would argue that not much was our doing. Cambridge visited and a coach load of trouble makers attacked our pub etc and then of course there was the well pulicised incident involving the guy who got very badly beaten, however, no evidence has come out stating it was SUFC fans involved. Luton also visited a few weeks back and again it was they who instigated the trouble including in some of the corporate boxes. Up at Morecambe any trouble was very minor and very isolated and really was a few people having a bit too much to drink and very upset and disapointed at the end of the game. Wearing colours is never a problem and 99.9% of fans you come into contact with will be fine. Please dont think that we are a Millwall or Leeds type fan base. I hope you enjoy your visit but obviously hope you go home upset as we were on Saturday

I think it is unfair to claim we are a friendly club...similar to
the chap from Luton claiming everyone would be well behaved. If you keep yourself to yourself Stevenage fan...you SHOULD be fine...but it would be irresponsible to promise you will be.

I hope you go out of business with your Rip-off prices.

Really? The fans don't set the prices. Wishing another club out of business is pretty low.

Tell your girl friend that if I see her wearing her new scarf I will give you a good kicking and make her watch. Then I will drive you both blindfolded to a safe house where you will be held hostage until the league give us promotion. I will be forced to cut off parts of your body and send them to your relatives for a big ransom for us to buy league 1 quality players. And I am considered one of the more friendly people in Southend.

Tell your girl friend that if I see her wearing her new scarf I will give you a good kicking and make her watch. Then I will drive you both blindfolded to a safe house where you will be held hostage until the league give us promotion. I will be forced to cut off parts of your body and send them to your relatives for a big ransom for us to buy league 1 quality players. And I am considered one of the more friendly people in Southend.

You forgot to mention that you will make them watch repeats of Col Ewe games on loop

Taking your girlfriend to football ? Whatever next ? :facepalm:
(awaiting a barrage of abuse from OBL....lol !!)

In all fairness we are a friendly club with little history of violence or trouble. Much of the trouble down at Roots Hall is often caused by visiting fans and unfortunately of late there has been a bit. However, i would argue that not much was our doing. Cambridge visited and a coach load of trouble makers attacked our pub etc and then of course there was the well pulicised incident involving the guy who got very badly beaten, however, no evidence has come out stating it was SUFC fans involved. Luton also visited a few weeks back and again it was they who instigated the trouble including in some of the corporate boxes. Up at Morecambe any trouble was very minor and very isolated and really was a few people having a bit too much to drink and very upset and disapointed at the end of the game. Wearing colours is never a problem and 99.9% of fans you come into contact with will be fine. Please dont think that we are a Millwall or Leeds type fan base. I hope you enjoy your visit but obviously hope you go home upset as we were on Saturday

We are a family friendly club and there is little trouble at Roots Hall, if there were Id never take my kids along.

However I have to say your post is a little dismissive and plays down the issues we have had recently.

At the Luton game it wasnt just Luton fans at fault for example. It was our fans that started the disrespectful noise during the minutes silence, our fans that let off smoke bombs.

Lets not go overboard, as you say 99.9% of our support is pefectly normal, but lets not brush things under the carpet either, there have been some problems recently and we have to accept responsibility for them.

That said those issues are not normal and I have no problem recommending Southend United as a club for away fans to visit and to be safe.

We are a family friendly club and there is little trouble at Roots Hall, if there were Id never take my kids along.

However I have to say your post is a little dismissive and plays down the issues we have had recently.

At the Luton game it wasnt just Luton fans at fault for example. It was our fans that started the disrespectful noise during the minutes silence, our fans that let off smoke bombs.

Lets not go overboard, as you say 99.9% of our support is pefectly normal, but lets not brush things under the carpet either, there have been some problems recently and we have to accept responsibility for them.

That said those issues are not normal and I have no problem recommending Southend United as a club for away fans to visit and to be safe.

that's not true either, Luton fans singing disrupted the minutes silence which initially sounded like coming from the east stand corner of the north bank but in fact was Luton fans outside, I'm not saying our fans were angels but a lot of emotion and a lot riding on that game you think the away fans are being ignorant a***holes it gets your back up a little

Well everyone we've purchased our tickets (a far more reasonable £31 for the pair) and our travel for the day is sorted. We'll be sensible and check out a few of the places mentioned. Depending on the result we may get a taxi from the away gate to the station at the end (so basically if we've hammered you :hilarious:).

Looking forward to Sunday now and hope everyone making the journey has a good day at our place, our fans are a loud bunch softies compared to your lot :winking:

that's not true either, Luton fans singing disrupted the minutes silence which initially sounded like coming from the east stand corner of the north bank but in fact was Luton fans outside, I'm not saying our fans were angels but a lot of emotion and a lot riding on that game you think the away fans are being ignorant a***holes it gets your back up a little

Luton fans outside who had no idea there was a minutes silence were singing so they cant be blamed, our fans shouting at fans in the ground actually started it.

Thats actually beside the point anyway, I heard shouting, I didnt feel the need to start shouting insults.

Anyone who shouted out anything for any reason was at fault, but our fans did start it.

Well everyone we've purchased our tickets (a far more reasonable £31 for the pair) and our travel for the day is sorted. We'll be sensible and check out a few of the places mentioned. Depending on the result we may get a taxi from the away gate to the station at the end (so basically if we've hammered you :hilarious:).

Looking forward to Sunday now and hope everyone making the journey has a good day at our place, our fans are a loud bunch softies compared to your lot :winking:

Just come down enjoy the evening and act responsibly and respectfully and you will have no problems at all. When I say enjoy it, I mean the experience, obviously you will be crying with despair at being knocked out hopefully.

I cant beleive we still have fans that think we were not in the wrong- it beggars belief! . The first fan in the stadium to break the silence was an SUFC fan. That is an undisbuted fact. There is zero excuse for the Luton fans who then responded and then the SUFC fans who responded back . I repeat again - ZERO EXCUSE. Any attempt to justify is pathetic and shows a massive amount of disrespect to the minutes silence

Last edited:
I agree, I was more peeved with our own fans causing a stir than the fans outside but it did initially sound like Luton fans inside the ground therefore causing some of our lot to retaliate, all of this is completely beside the point of the OP and I bit completely unnecessarily at a comment on here, I should know better than to come on the zone after a stressful morning!

Assume you are getting the LIverpool street line and not Fenchurch street. In which case the closest station is Prittlewell . We have home/away fans getting the same train home every match . I often get the train and personally I have never seen any trouble and have never seen an unpleasant atmosphere walking to/from the station or on the platform or on the actual train.

With all due to respect i was directly in front of the trouble that started in one of the boxes, i was there with my two kids and parents. It was the luton who started on the southend fans. It was also Luton fans waiting outside when we left the ground looking for trouble. I agree that some of TBV let themselves and the club down in their behaviour but it wasnt of an aggressive nature which is what the guy from stevenage is more worried about. I am aware that we are certainly not whiter than white, but i certainly wouldnt say opo fans should be in anyway worried about visiting.

Back