• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very little chance of getting a taxi after the game outside the ground - just walk to the station it's very safe and easy

As you can probably guess by my name and several posts I've made I'm Stevenage fan. Ticket details have been confirmed for the return leg at your place (we only get 900 which raised an eyebrow for me) and me and my girlfriend hope to purchase our tickets tomorrow.

We do however have a few questions.

Firstly and perhaps most importantly as its my girlfriends first ever away match and with recent issues with a few of your fans at the Morecambe game and other matches this season (I assume the troublemakers are in the 1% that every club have) we have questions about what areas to avoid and whether we should keep our colours under wraps until inside the stadium. We'll be travelling in by train to Southend Victoria station and plan to spend a little time down by the front before the game. Does anyone know any particularly good chippies and pubs along there and on the way to the ground (which pub do away supporters tend to frequent?)? Also what are food prices like at Roots Hall in case we decide to eat inside the ground?

Finally if anyone has any other advice it would be great :smile:

Looking forward to welcoming you our place this Sunday :smile:

Why are you bringing your Mrs football?

Southend seafront is not that good,BUT a trip down the pier is well worth it

Her enjoying football has been one of the big surprises of the year. Her first ever match was our lacklustre 0-0 draw with Maidstone in the Cup. She's also seen the goalfest when you guys came to town, the Northampton game (2-1 to us) and the Carlisle game (1-0 to us). If we win this Sunday (she's coming to the game) she's got to be some sort of talisman :hilarious:

And in answer to the question, yes we'll be using the Liverpool Street line.

We are a family friendly club and there is little trouble at Roots Hall, if there were Id never take my kids along.

However I have to say your post is a little dismissive and plays down the issues we have had recently.

At the Luton game it wasnt just Luton fans at fault for example. It was our fans that started the disrespectful noise during the minutes silence, our fans that let off smoke bombs.

Lets not go overboard, as you say 99.9% of our support is pefectly normal, but lets not brush things under the carpet either, there have been some problems recently and we have to accept responsibility for them.

That said those issues are not normal and I have no problem recommending Southend United as a club for away fans to visit and to be safe.
Whilst we have had issues recently I think they can be "dismissed" from an away fans safety point of view.

When going away any safety concerns I have don't involve minute's silences being disrupted or smoke bombs on the pitch.

Come and enjoy the day most of us are quite friendly and are often happy to chat to fellow supporters. Hopefully the weather will be good so you can have a stroll along the front and then a easy stroll back along Victoria Avenue to Roots Hall stopping via the fish house for some chips (mm delicious).

Come and enjoy a great day out at the seaside. The High Street has a lot going for it now with two shopping centres, one at each end. The seafront golden mile is much smarter and family friendly now. Going on the pier train to the end and back is great if you have the right weather. Can be a bit windy and cold at the end of the pier, but if it's a nice day, then highly recommended.
As for you and your girlfriend being a target, you have more chance of winning the lottery. Even amongst football hooligans there is a code of honour. Attacking fans wearing colours is a no no, and none of them would pick on a female or a bloke with a female. Trouble, if it happens on the rare occasions at Southend nowadays, is between like minded groups. Fans like you will only find very friendly chat from nearly all Southend fans.

What trouble....???

Morecambe there was no trouble other than a group of 14 year old Morecambe fans "attacked" the Southend pub with a smoke bomb before running off at lightening speed.

Luton at home was them attacking us and Cambridge as we know came mob handed looking for trouble. None of these incidents actually SUFC's doing. As anyone will tell you the people likely to cause the trouble rarely attend SUFC these days for various reasons.

All a storm in a tea cup with exception of Cambridge.

Just to make it clear we're looking forward to our trip to Southend and it sounds as safe as any other grounds we've been to as long as we're sensible.

I have a huge amount of respect for how the majority of you treat away fans, its a damn sight better than some clubs I've been to (Mansfield and Oxford being the chief culprits). You're not exactly a Luton in reputation which js good to know :smile:

Away supporters also usually welcome in the Shrimpers Bar at the ground, unless police decide otherwise.

Back