• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Advice on selling shares as a one off transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want to know exactly? How did you buy them? I've got a NatWest Stockbrokering account, so its quite straightforward to buy/sell.

Listed / unlisted? Approximate value? Do you hold them or are they under nominee?

They were in the ISA that I was forced to close to pay my divorce legal fees but I didn't see any point in continuing to pay monthly fees on an ISA so they are actual paper shares for which I hold the certificate and which is in my name. It's M&S btw, so listed, and worth about £3.5k. I know I can go to my bank (HSBC) and they will sell them for me, I just wondered in this day and age, if there is a better/cheaper way to do so.

They were in the ISA that I was forced to close to pay my divorce legal fees but I didn't see any point in continuing to pay monthly fees on an ISA so they are actual paper shares for which I hold the certificate and which is in my name. It's M&S btw, so listed, and worth about £3.5k. I know I can go to my bank (HSBC) and they will sell them for me, I just wondered in this day and age, if there is a better/cheaper way to do so.

Do you mean they are not just shares, they are M & S shares ?

Do you need to sell right now OBL? M&S shares have been on the steady increase over the past few months so it might be worth you time holding on?

Do you need to sell right now OBL? M&S shares have been on the steady increase over the past few months so it might be worth you time holding on?
I do, cos his lordship has very cleverly allowed madam to have access to her savings a year early, so she's bought herself a mini and is about to start learning to drive, but obviously he's done sweet FA about her insurance. I know they've gone up about £500 in the last 6 weeks, but again, it's a necessity I'm being forced into, bloody *******!

I do, cos his lordship has very cleverly allowed madam to have access to her savings a year early, so she's bought herself a mini and is about to start learning to drive, but obviously he's done sweet FA about her insurance. I know they've gone up about £500 in the last 6 weeks, but again, it's a necessity I'm being forced into, bloody *******!

Should have got your relationship right the first time would not have been in this mess ;)

She brought the car, she pays for the insurance. Cant afford the insurance? Should have got a cheaper car.

My principal exactly but hard when its your own kids.

When I first passed my test I knew insurance would be sky high so I brought a vauxhall Nova. To pay the insurance I worked as a rent boy/ part time people smuggler. Didnt do me any harm.

I know all that, but this is her dream and HE allowed it. She was told over and over again she'd be better off getting something cheaper but to be honest (and she did research it thoroughly) the insurance on a clio was only £100 cheaper and a fiesta was dearer! Have you looked at insurance quotes for young drivers recently???!

I'm proud of her for being so keen to drive that she researched and found the car she wanted, and an 03 mini for £3 grand is a bloody good buy! If I had been in the position to, I would have bought a car for her myself, that's what my parents did for me, and what I'd have liked to do for mine, however, although I should have been, I wasn't, so I couldn't.

Might be cheaper if you're the policy holder and she's a named driver. Some companies allow named drivers to accrue no claims.

Might be cheaper if you're the policy holder and she's a named driver. Some companies allow named drivers to accrue no claims.
This is another loophole that's been closed or at least severely tightened up on. Insurance companies are now fully aware that parents have for years been taking out insurance policies in their names and with their children as named drivers, and have stopped giving this kind of policy. Incidentally, when I looked into insurance for my son, the "provisional" phase would have been a sum in excess of £1k, but once he'd passed his test, the first year it went up to £4k! It's absolutely crazy, and what's worse is that they're bringing girls up to a level playing field as well - as a result of European interference. It's an absolute minefield, but you just want your kids to have their independence and be able to go off and do stuff you did at their age so although the insurance companies have you over a barrel you're forced into accepting it. Any posters with kids approaching the age to drive be warned!

She will never learn to be responsible if you put your hand in your pocket every time she needs money. If it were me I'd kick her out of the house and make her live in her car. She will soon wish she had bought a cortina estate instead of a mini.

Have you considered the smart box option. Disgustingly expensive still but cheaper with good driving. I believe the Co-Op are leading the way on this one. Try their web site, might be an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back